CLP cleaning product recommendation

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

CLP cleaning product recommendation

Post by Clarky75 » 15 Jul 2017, 4:40 pm

Hi All,

What do you guys use for CLP for your guns? I have a 22lr which I am taking on a trip just want a clp that I can take with me so I don't need to take my full cleaning kit etc. I have Rem oil but I hear that's no good and many of the USA products recommended on other forums are hard to get here. Any recommendations on what I could use for a CLP?
Thanks
Clarky
Clarky75
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: CLP cleaning product recommendation

Post by juststarting » 15 Jul 2017, 4:58 pm

You can get most cleaning products here, just as easy... at least in Melbourne.

If you're going with your 22, then bore snake and Rem Oil will do just fine. Don't stress over it.

There are a lot of cleaning products that you can get here... But for your described use case, you have everything you need. That's what I take, only I use Hoppe's 9 Oil, just because that what was the cheapest thing on the shelf when I needed oil.

To clean, either put some on the brush part and tail part of the snake (at the same time). Or on a rag and wipe the outer metal parts to use as rust inhibitor. The end.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Clarky75 » 15 Jul 2017, 8:10 pm

Thanks Juststarting I appreciate it I just hear so much bad stuff about rem oil. Im located in Melb. I was trying to find breakfree clp or ballistol but could not locate any local. The rem oil really seems to get a bad rap from most people so I was considering dumping it for another product
Clarky75
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Jul 2017, 8:52 pm

I use Lanox to clean and protect my firearms - you generally don't clean the bores of 22's too often as it seems to affect accuracy for a bit before they get a coating of wax etc built up in them (which protects the bore anyway as a rule) the CLP I used to use was G96 which seemed to do fine as does Frog Lube but these days I just use Boretech or another bore solvent to clean my bores then I just put a few patches of the Lanox down the bore after I've cleaned them to protect (don't forget to remove any lube before shooting next time).
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Clarky75 » 15 Jul 2017, 11:05 pm

Thanks for the reply so is Lanox a Clean lube and protectant? Where do I buy this from?
Clarky75
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 15 Jul 2017, 11:10 pm

Bunnings - you can buy Innox or Lannox. Same same for guns. But again, why? This is for field use, right? You are just going to run a bore snake through it once or twice and that's it, if that. What you have is perfectly fine for that. And if you are doing a proper clean, then perhaps something like Hope's 9 carbon fouling solvent + some mineral oil (gun oil)/ Lannox/Innox is the way to go.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by southwest shooter » 16 Jul 2017, 9:26 am

Use lanox , can't go wrong .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Clarky75 » 18 Jul 2017, 1:35 pm

I could not find the can of remoil I had so I went and got the Lanox brilliant stuff and not a strong smell did a good job of cleaning and lubing it gun looks great and it cleaned up well

One question I have a CZ 452 22lr I find the Bore snake very tight, it's hard to get it started gets stuck takes a while to feed the brass end though. Slides down easy on my old marlin xt22 I used to own. cZ barrel seems tighter. Would it be worth getting maybe a 17 cal bore snake? Anyone else experienced this?
Clarky75
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by marksman » 15 Sep 2017, 6:33 pm

sungazer wrote:on a 22 just use a dry patch. Do it regularly though as the carbon deposits are still very course and when the next bullet goes down the tube it is taking little bits with it.
On CF I now use windex as the first cleaner through. it does a good job of removing the carbon and it is a hell of a lot cheaper than any gun products do that until the patches come clean then use whatever is your favorite. If storing for a while leave the rem oil, hoppes or your fav in the gun. If using again soon then a windex and a dry patch again is the way to go. Remember to always dry patch before you fire. I sometime forget this to in the excitement of the moment but a bore needs to be dry.

make sure you put an oil or something in your bore after the windex,
I know a guy who ruined his chamber and bore because he didn't and it didn't take long

here is a source for ballistol,
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BONDALL-BALL ... 1438.l2649
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 15 Sep 2017, 10:14 pm

Clarky75 wrote:I could not find the can of remoil I had so I went and got the Lanox brilliant stuff and not a strong smell did a good job of cleaning and lubing it gun looks great and it cleaned up well

One question I have a CZ 452 22lr I find the Bore snake very tight, it's hard to get it started gets stuck takes a while to feed the brass end though. Slides down easy on my old marlin xt22 I used to own. cZ barrel seems tighter. Would it be worth getting maybe a 17 cal bore snake? Anyone else experienced this?

See http://cz-usa.com/support/faq/

Wherein they say
Q: “I’ve heard you use tight bores in your .22s, is that right? What does that mean?”

A: Our .22 LRs use our cold hammer forged and lapped barrels, and are built a bit tighter than many other guns. In .22 LR we run a .211 bore, which is one of the reasons our .22s are known for incredible accuracy. This also means that a .17 or .20 rod and jag are required for cleaning, since a .22 rod will be too large. Additionally, use of .22 Short, Long and Sub-Sonic ammunition isn’t recommended because of the tight bore.

And let's not start asking what they mean by "subsonic". That is a constant gerfuffle on Rimfirecentral ....
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Sep 2017, 7:56 am

What's all this talk about cleaning 22rf bores?
That's usually no good for accuracy . For hunting trips a basic pull through of some sort is plenty. Only clean a 22 about every 1000 rounds if that. Every time I clean mine take 50 rounds to come good again.

Some oil for exterior parts and perhaps a drop or two on the bolt and that's it, no more required. Any of the lanolin products OK or any light oil.

It's all just marketing BS.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by scoobs » 17 Sep 2017, 12:08 pm

i like G96 :)
Tikka t3x super lite stainless .308/Nikon M-308 4-16x42 BDC-800.
Tikka T3X varmint stainless 22-250/Bushnell Trophy Extreme 6-24x50.
Lithgow LA101 22LR/bushnell rimfire 3-12x40
Adler a110 12Ga 20" tactical.
scoobs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Sep 2017, 12:31 pm

Oldbloke wrote:What's all this talk about cleaning 22rf bores?
That's usually no good for accuracy . For hunting trips a basic pull through of some sort is plenty. Only clean a 22 about every 1000 rounds if that. Every time I clean mine take 50 rounds to come good again.

Some oil for exterior parts and perhaps a drop or two on the bolt and that's it, no more required. Any of the lanolin products OK or any light oil.

It's all just marketing BS.

My thoughts exactly on all of what OB said.
I've certainly never managed to stay out bush long enough to warrant cleaning a .22 rf
In fact, as a teenager there wasn't all the hype or advertising about cleaning, and none of my RFs got the bores scraped out by cleaning brushes/bristles for years.

As for tight bores and snakes, I have found that "new" snakes are quite often tight.
One in particular thru my .17 was so tight I thought the cord was gonna snap and leave the rest stuck in the bore.
But after two or three uses it would come thru easier,, but still do its job well.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Sep 2017, 12:47 pm

"One in particular thru my .17 was so tight I thought the cord was gonna snap and "

Try a shoe lace. :lol:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment