Hubertus Solingen knife, what might this be worth

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Hubertus Solingen knife, what might this be worth

Post by Lorgar » 18 Jul 2017, 4:59 pm

I've had this Hubertus knife myself for 20 years. From my vague recollection at the time I bought it the store said they had picked it up from an owner who'd had it for many years before too. Hubertus go back to 1932, so no idea how old this could be.

I've looked around online for some indication as to what this might be worth but nowhere I can find seems to have anything the same/similar enough to give me a genuine idea.

hubertus-folding-knife-1.jpg
hubertus-folding-knife-1.jpg (48.88 KiB) Viewed 3379 times

hubertus-folding-knife-2.jpg
hubertus-folding-knife-2.jpg (24.32 KiB) Viewed 3379 times

hubertus-folding-knife-3.jpg
hubertus-folding-knife-3.jpg (23.87 KiB) Viewed 3379 times

hubertus-folding-knife-4.jpg
hubertus-folding-knife-4.jpg (32.92 KiB) Viewed 3379 times

The clasp is a little dicky, but otherwise in pretty great condition. German steel, stag handle, original leather still smooth and soft, tag still on it.

It's literally been sitting in my draw for 20 years. Figure I might as well move it along to somewhere it'll get some appreciation.

Anyone in the know got some idea?
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: Hubertus Solingen knife, what might this be worth

Post by Gwion » 18 Jul 2017, 5:08 pm

$300US brand new. They still make them, apparantly:

http://www.worldknives.com/products/hub ... -1646.html
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by darwindingo » 18 Jul 2017, 7:40 pm

There is a couple of slight differences between the one you have and the new one, look very closely at the bit that looks like its for attaching a cord so you don't loose it. Oh and no markings on the blade on the one you have..

It may be worth more than a new one ? Particularly to a collector... I would suggest finding a knife collectors forum and making some inquiries as to its value and age. It would be interesting to know when the slight change was made to the design, depending when that occurred it may even be indicative of age ? :unknown:

Either way its a very interesting design, I don't recall ever seeing one before. I like it.. :thumbsup:

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Gwion » 18 Jul 2017, 7:56 pm

I have seen similar designs of long bladed folding knives. I'm not a fan as it defeats the main advantage of a folder and doesn't have the integrity of a fixed blade. Still, nice as an interest piece.

I agree about finding a knife forum and putting out some feelers.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bladeracer » 18 Jul 2017, 8:10 pm

Gwion wrote:I have seen similar designs of long bladed folding knives. I'm not a fan as it defeats the main advantage of a folder and doesn't have the integrity of a fixed blade. Still, nice as an interest piece.

I agree about finding a knife forum and putting out some feelers.

The Carcano bayonet is similar.
http://worldbayonets.com/Bayonet_Identification_Guide/Italy/B1157_2/B1157-6.html
Attachments
Carcano Bayonet.jpg
Carcano Bayonet.jpg (42.71 KiB) Viewed 3316 times
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 18 Jul 2017, 8:22 pm

I can't say that I would have thought up a design for a folding knife with such a long blade, for those exact reasons G. However I expect such a design would appeal to collectors.

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Lorgar » 24 Jul 2017, 9:37 am

Thanks for the find Gwion.

Bit of a disappointment it's still current, make it less unique I guess but as said by Dingo hopefully the fact it's an old one adds that X factor and a bit more appeal.

Cheers.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 25 Jul 2017, 8:21 am

No worries, Lorgar. I've just been doing some more reading on this knife company and the different knives they make.
Apparently, Hubertus made 'Hitler Youth Knives' when they started out so maybe Genisis or one of his mates will buy it off you for a couple of grand due to pedigree! :lol:
But more seriously, apparently there is quite a drop in quality assurance with current production from the company. If you can varify date of manufacture/purchase as being pre-handover to the current owner (still in the family) it may actually add a bit of value to the right collector.
Still. What is it worth? Only what some one is willing to pay for it. I can see you easily getting a couple of hundred for it but will you attract more than the cost of a new production model? It's hard to say.
I guess the question is: do you want to 'make money' on it or are just wanting to move it on and recoup some costs?
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Lorgar » 25 Jul 2017, 2:47 pm

I don't really have anything in the way of verification, no receipts with serial numbers or anything like that. What you see is what I have.

Like Darwindingo said though, my one does not have markings on the blade, that would go a ways to confirming it's age and that it's an original one.

Basically I'd be selling it on my word that it's a minimum of 20 years old, I can state that for a fact as that's how long I've had it. Hopefully I've got a trustworthy face and am to be believed :lol:

I'm not looking to retire on the proceeds of its sale :lol: just looking for fair value.

Just tricky connecting with the right buyer I guess. I don't think I'll have any luck on ebay :lol:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 25 Jul 2017, 10:59 pm

Is go to a knife collector's forum and put it out ther with some detailed pics. See what offers come. Do you remember roughly what you paid?
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment