Adding weight to a safe

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Re: Adding weight to a safe

Post by Jt-2019 » 11 Feb 2020, 6:50 pm

Mononoke wrote:Hi all,

Now at the stage of getting a rifle safe organized (Victoria). Although I am living in a house right now where I am allowed to bolt things down in the garage, I am likely to be moving soon and somewhat itinerant over the next 12 months (spending time working in regional Victoria this summer plus spending time overseas and in WA next year), so am looking at a storage option that doesn't need to be bolted down AND can be transported without too much drama. There may be periods where I will need to have my things stored in a storage unit when I'm overseas and in WA.

I have been looking into getting a "normal" 7-8 gun safe and adding weight to the base to bring it up to 150kg+. It seems that here in Victoria it is permitted to do this if the weights are bolted to the base. I have been looking into using a couple of heavy cast iron olympic weights, but ideally would like to use steel plates cut to the dimensions of the safe. I will also need to take into account how much interior height the weights take up so that I can still fit my rifle in there. :) I am also looking at housing the safe inside a heavy jarrah cupboard with no base to disguise it.

What sort of strategies have you guys used? to get 100kg of olympic weights costs about $300, which would bring the total cost (given a $300ish dollar safe) to about $600.

I am also up for buying a 150kg+ safe straight up, but can't quite afford $1000. Any cheaper options?

Thanks everyone. :thumbsup:

I'd probably say no ey...
Jt-2019
Private
Private

-

Re: Adding weight to a safe

Post by CrackThump » 13 Feb 2020, 5:09 am

bladeracer wrote:A perhaps more useful alternative might be to simply buy two safes and weld them together

There's something wrong with me. :allegedly:

The moment I saw the above sentence, my mind's eye saw two safes being welded together face-to-face. :unknown:

I can't help it. :shock: :?

you sir.. need professional help hahahahaha..

although, admittedly, never would there be a safer safe
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Previous

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment