Bolting a safe in new place

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Re: Bolting a safe in new place

Post by Stix » 20 Sep 2017, 7:25 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Sheesh, what a long and technical discussion about screwing a safe to the wall.
Put 2, maybe 3 additional noggins in the wall and screw the f***ing thing to the noggins using 4 or 6 screws. Cops will not dismantle the wall to check everything. Just give it a heave ho test. Just use very big screws and sheal be right mate. (unless the regs stipulate a screw size in your state) (I would use about 8 mm coach bolts)

Hehe...your right...long & technical...
Maybe i did drag it out but just wanted to be clear...
In my defence, the OP (from memory) did indicate he has no idea what to do & has no skill in the area...so if not for any other reason, i wanted to be clear for his sake & try help... :D ...but have not heard a peep from him...

(I also didnt want the master knife maker (Gwion) to think ill of me...especially with knives like that...! :lol: )

If i lived near the OP id go & do it for him, & the charge to him would be a coffee, & make him help carting my tools up to the 3rd storey...

BTW once in i wouldnt give it a big heave ho test, might put a hairline crack in the plaster joint both sides of the wall...

Cheers
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Sep 2017, 7:35 pm

Yeah, what happened to Archie?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 20 Sep 2017, 7:43 pm

sungazer wrote:Ive seen the 10mm coach bolts mentioned somewhere. It may be the only state to stipulate a actual method. ... ... ...
Hence I would go with at least two in the wall and two in the floor.
... ... ...
The main point of safes was to provided safe storage in the home from children. Also to slow down a hot head from grabbing the gun from under the bed. We are being indoctrinated to accept stricter rules and regulations for reasons that were never intended.

I asked the OP & he posted regs...see earlier...no definitive description of how to fix that i could see in a quick skim...
Also think i said go 10mm coach bolts as 10mm dynabolts are normally supplied with safes...its a pretty standard size fixing for building...

I also think the safes are meant as a deterrent to thieves...

My belief is 4 fixings in wall that have the equivelant kilo-newton strength as a 4x14 gauge screw is plenty as a deterrant--basically means you have to cut the wall out to take it...

You are dead on about being too easily compliant... :clap:
I cant believe we cant use silencers or suppressors...i now wear plugs & muffs at the range & am 7/10ths deaf in my right ear...
But lets not go down that path eh... :crazy:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 20 Sep 2017, 7:45 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Yeah, what happened to Archie?

Maybe he got plastered in the wall cavity behind the safe...can you hear any knocking &/or muffled cries for help...?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Sep 2017, 7:50 pm

Stix wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Yeah, what happened to Archie?

Maybe he got plastered in the wall cavity behind the safe...can you hear any knocking &/or muffled cries for help...?

:thumbsup: :lol:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Archie » 21 Sep 2017, 10:46 am

Cheers guys its been very helpful. Not stuck in wall cavity, just stuck at work. But you've given me some good ideas to get it sorted so thanks for the help.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment