Light weight shooting bag?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Light weight shooting bag?

Post by Deco » 25 Sep 2017, 2:41 pm

I'd like to carry a shooting bag or two around on trips, but being full or sand tumbler media or whatever to make them stable they're cumbersome to say the least.

Has anyone got or made a light bag? I'm thinking foam bean bag beads or something as a filler.

Weighs nothing so that would be perfect in that regard. Is it too squishy/unstable though going that light?

Plan B would be mixed media with something heavier and beads throughout to take half the weight out?

What do people think?
Browning X-Bolt Hunter in .270 Winchester
Deco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: Light weight shooting bag?

Post by bladeracer » 25 Sep 2017, 4:05 pm

Deco wrote:I'd like to carry a shooting bag or two around on trips, but being full or sand tumbler media or whatever to make them stable they're cumbersome to say the least.

Has anyone got or made a light bag? I'm thinking foam bean bag beads or something as a filler.

Weighs nothing so that would be perfect in that regard. Is it too squishy/unstable though going that light?

Plan B would be mixed media with something heavier and beads throughout to take half the weight out?

What do people think?

I've seen video of Precision Rifle comps where shooters have a block of high-density foam rubber hung on a lanyard.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 25 Sep 2017, 4:05 pm

I've filled mine with rice.

Just remember not to get them wet ... ;)
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by marksman » 25 Sep 2017, 9:18 pm

kitty litter is another lightweight one you can use but I like a bipod on and a small bag at the rear,
the bipod is usually at the right height half extended so there is a little flex and my rifle will come straight back , no hopping :allegedly:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by marksman » 25 Sep 2017, 9:20 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Deco wrote:I'd like to carry a shooting bag or two around on trips, but being full or sand tumbler media or whatever to make them stable they're cumbersome to say the least.

What do people think?

I've seen video of Precision Rifle comps where shooters have a block of high-density foam rubber hung on a lanyard.

that sounds pretty trick, I am giving that one a try
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Sep 2017, 9:23 pm

Cut off some trouser legs and fill them with wheat.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wannabustbunnies » 25 Sep 2017, 10:42 pm

You mean something like these guys sell? I have a couple of mates with them and they work well
https://www.lowvisgear.com/collections/all
wannabustbunnies
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 25 Sep 2017, 11:08 pm

I filled one with plastic pellets from work but it was way too light had to add some sand. stuff like this
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-Kilos-Aust ... Sw91NTsPkM copy and paste that to google 1kg for $6.50 postage will cost more, it does not mater if it gets wet at all;
side note once you fill it you can then stick it in the shed because it will be to light for purpose intended (like I did )
Last edited by pomemax on 26 Sep 2017, 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Sep 2017, 1:35 pm

I can't use light shooting bags, they'd blow off when I'm driving around the paddocks, I use a biggish sand filled bag that I leave sitting up on the window sill, when I spot something I want to shoot I just jump out and position it how I want it and shoot, works quite well and I often just park near a rabbit warren and just use that to shoot em with, works great, nice and solid and good enough to head shoot bunnies out around 300m so far,

All comes down to what you are wanting to do as to what way you will have to go re weight/size etc. Another option I'm looking at is one those Max Box that can be used as a door shooting rest too as the rest I have now just doesn't work for me at all. I also thought about the been bag beads at one stage or some plastic balls but I found the sand filled ones worked fine for my needs so never looked any further into them.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment