Shooting Targets

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Shooting Targets

Post by Zarrs » 30 Sep 2017, 9:24 pm

My local range informed me I can bring my own targets as long as they are not of people. Does any one know where I can buy interesting paper targets from they don't cost a arm and a leg?
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Shooting Targets

Post by marksman » 30 Sep 2017, 9:33 pm

what about zombies :crazy:

it is apparent that the military rifle club uses a target that is in essence a helmet on a head so why no body form? :sarcasm:
its ok when they want it to be :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Zarrs » 30 Sep 2017, 9:35 pm

hehe I actually did ask them about that, but they said no. They will regret that will zombies are on the running riot and we are not trained to shoot them!
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 30 Sep 2017, 10:06 pm

Zarrs wrote:My local range informed me I can bring my own targets as long as they are not of people. Does any one know where I can buy interesting paper targets from they don't cost a arm and a leg?

SSAA has targets on their website you can print out.
https://ssaa.org.au/assets/disciplines/SSAA-official-practice-targets.pdf

I'm currently using these from Midway.
https://media.midwayusa.com/pdf/downloads/pistol_target.pdf
https://media.midwayusa.com/pdf/downloads/rifle_target.pdf
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 30 Sep 2017, 10:10 pm

bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Zarrs » 30 Sep 2017, 10:41 pm

This is going to sound stupid but can u shoot at a4 paper is it the same as the cardboard paper you get at the range and I was thinking of stuff more like this.
http://www.ez2ctargets.com/Item/22
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 30 Sep 2017, 11:53 pm

G'day Zarrs,
I don't think those targets would hold to the frames very well, would still need a piece of cardboard or corflute as a backing to tape/glue them to. Even tape them to the cardboard targets at the range, get a few partially shot ones out of the bin for stiffer backing. Looks like a fun shooting game. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 01 Oct 2017, 12:16 am

I'll tell you what I've done in the past. I've made my own targets. I've photocopied pictures of what I wanted to shoot, in my case it was photographs of the faces of the axis leaders of WWII. I've used cardboard witches and ghosts that were sold around Halloween, but these may cross into human form.

Looking at the target you showed I'm wondering if you can't find some large graph paper at a school supply or crafts store, as well as finding round stickers and make your own. if you have access to cardboard to use as backing just buy some spray adhesive and you have all you need to enjoy some range time.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 01 Oct 2017, 3:12 am

Zarrs wrote:This is going to sound stupid but can u shoot at a4 paper is it the same as the cardboard paper you get at the range and I was thinking of stuff more like this.
http://www.ez2ctargets.com/Item/22

Of course. I generally just tape the A4 targets to a sheet of chipboard or 3mm MDF from Bunnings. A 900x600mm sheet of 3mm MDF is about $2.50. Packs of insulation tape is also very cheap. It does eventually get shot to pieces but you'll find most of your bullets just pass through the big hole you've blown through the middle, so there's plenty of room for taping it on. I also prefer to tape targets all over the board with no gaps so there are no bullet holes to confuse me. The board is simply stood on the ground and held upright by an eight-foot length of timber, or two lengths if it's really windy. Put two nails in one end about 10mm apart and simply rest the timber on the top edge of the board in between the nails.
I do also have a wire frame I made which I can clip target pages to using small bulldog clips, but I find taping them to a board is much better.
I also have boxes of adhesive dots from Officeworks that I can simply stick to a surface and aim at, but they're even more useful to patch the holes so you don't have to replace the target. If you get different colours and sizes you can shoot a bunch of groups at one target and still be able to see which group was which. It's also very easy to make crosses and diamonds with insulation tape to aim at.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/3mm-standard-mdf-600mm-x-900mm_p0590066

https://www.bunnings.com.au/click-assorted-pvc-insulation-tape-12-pack_p4430559

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/c/office-supplies/labels/round-stickers
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Dunxy » 01 Oct 2017, 8:49 am

I use A4 printouts a lot on the smaller style frame that i have a cardboard backing on to make attaching the a4 sheets easy, sure keeps the costs down! I also have a approx 4" steel plate with a d shackle on it that i hang of the frame when I don't feel like punching paper!
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 01 Oct 2017, 9:15 am

Dunxy wrote:I use A4 printouts a lot on the smaller style frame that i have a cardboard backing on to make attaching the a4 sheets easy, sure keeps the costs down! I also have a approx 4" steel plate with a d shackle on it that i hang of the frame when I don't feel like punching paper!

I bought a piece of 400UB 1400mm long from the scrap yard for $30 :-)
High-velocity stuff goes through it though at close ranges.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 01 Oct 2017, 10:53 am

I've also used some of those from this forum.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Dunxy » 02 Oct 2017, 6:59 am

bladeracer wrote:I bought a piece of 400UB 1400mm long from the scrap yard for $30 :-)
High-velocity stuff goes through it though at close ranges.

Must be pretty thin? The disks I got (they are centres from holes from a laser/profile/waterjet cutter I found in a mates factory) are 10mm thick and the rimfire doesn't even scratch it, just normal mild steel.Ive only shot it at 100m though, no closer.Havent hit it with anything decent yet, i did try to hit it with m96 the other day but stupid range rules forcing me to put it at 200m tos hoot with centrefire, yeah sure i can see a 4" disk at 200m with iron sights and having to use like 9"hold under, just painful!
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 02 Oct 2017, 7:27 am

It's 60kg per meter with an 8mm web - the .204 24gn at 4400fps goes through it at 100m, but I don't think it would do it much further than that. I even put a 180gn 8x57mm cast lead bullet through it at 50m, but at 2500fps. When I've dug bullets out of the butt behind it, I've found some steel discs that have been punched out of it.
I haven't tried to penetrate the 13mm flanges as yet but I guess I'll have to try some day. I know that corrugated steel roof sheet stops 710fps CCI Quiet past 165m.

5mm mild steel withstands .22LR at any range, but you have me curious now. I'll have a look around to see if I can find some various thicknesses of mild steel to test penetration range on.

Shooting 4" targets at 200m with irons sounds like a fun challenge :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Dunxy » 02 Oct 2017, 8:40 am

I find it all thoroughly interesting myself! I do lots of penetration tests even with the air rifle, my mates got some 25mm "star board" material (he had them cut for bait boards he was making ages ago)he wants me to shoot with everything to test as well.

If i had a spotter I may have been able to ring in on the irons but im not sure! Now, when this peep sight arrives and i can actually sight the thing in below 400m,I dare say I will do it, how many shots it will take me to hit i dont know!

I was stopping really low powered .22 with a computer side panel and a few mm of mdf the other week.

I shot a side panel the other day with a few slugs @ 20m and i was surprised i couldn't penetrate it! 1/2 the range and maybe! Admittedly I'm not fixing it in place so that complicates things a bit.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment