Shooting bench

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Re: Shooting bench

Post by Stix » 29 Apr 2018, 11:09 pm

Did my other shooting bench top today...its the closest ive been to anything shooting related in a very very long month or so...
Used eucalypts & bottle brush i got from the farm last trip...(small branches seen in the before pic)
Also used some bark from the firewood pile...but i didnt use the sticks sitting on the top right of the bench--instead i used a heap of long grass.
2018-04-29 22.16.58.jpg
Before
2018-04-29 22.16.58.jpg (499.05 KiB) Viewed 7523 times

2018-04-29 22.07.05.jpg
Camo'd.
2018-04-29 22.07.05.jpg (418.26 KiB) Viewed 7523 times

Its as good as i can get it...Think ill do a few extra touch-ups in some areas that are lacking...then hopefully the next time i see it will be with a rifle on it...!!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 30 Apr 2018, 6:50 pm

my bench

IMG_1942 (Medium) (2).JPG
IMG_1942 (Medium) (2).JPG (151.95 KiB) Viewed 7507 times
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Stix » 01 May 2018, 7:16 pm

Looks a beaudy deye243...
Is the top permenantly attached...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 01 May 2018, 9:32 pm

yep
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Unclewacker » 08 Jul 2018, 9:54 pm

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I spent a bit of time in the garage today knocking this up...
Attachments
1531029473896.jpg
1531029473896.jpg (28.67 KiB) Viewed 7381 times
1531027411370.jpg
1531027411370.jpg (28.77 KiB) Viewed 7381 times
Unclewacker
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Stix » 08 Jul 2018, 11:20 pm

Looks a ripper mate...!! :thumbsup:
How solid is it with a rifle on it...?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 10 Jul 2018, 9:39 am

very good unclewacker
for the ambidextrous :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Jul 2018, 9:41 am

Looks great
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Unclewacker » 10 Jul 2018, 9:57 pm

Seems pretty stable jjust playing around in the garage, the top is about 12mm thick so should be fine. I have a teenage niece who is a left handed shooter so made it to suit her as well.
Onky picked my new LA101 last week and still trying to organise myself to get to the range. I have Thursday arvo off so I'm going down to Springvale to see if I can get some assistance with the basics and sighting in the scope.
Unclewacker
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Unclewacker » 10 Jul 2018, 10:03 pm

Unclewacker
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 11 Jul 2018, 9:00 am

Mate if that 10.98 is correct you should go and grab a few more sheets. I bought some a few weeks ago and there were two types one for $80 and another for $60 per 2400 *1200 sheet. Ok Silly me it is only a 1/4 sheet but still cheap
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Stix » 11 Jul 2018, 12:12 pm

I cant open the link for some reason, but it might even be a third sheet...1800 is s common size for formply...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Unclewacker » 11 Jul 2018, 12:21 pm

Was a quarter sheet.... small enough to carry under one arm and carry sawhorse under the other.
Unclewacker
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by flashman » 24 Jul 2018, 1:31 pm

Looks good must be a bus driver LOL
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Unclewacker » 24 Jul 2018, 10:54 pm

Thank you Driver...
Unclewacker
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by lenstanjim » 14 Aug 2018, 10:28 am

Nice idea good result. Is it only the soggy front rest and gravity that is holding it vertical? I'd think the rifle would topple sideways! cheers
lenstanjim
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 14 Aug 2018, 11:48 am

Stix wrote:Did my other shooting bench top today...its the closest ive been to anything shooting related in a very very long month or so...
Used eucalypts & bottle brush i got from the farm last trip...(small branches seen in the before pic)
Also used some bark from the firewood pile...but i didnt use the sticks sitting on the top right of the bench--instead i used a heap of long grass.
2018-04-29 22.16.58.jpg

2018-04-29 22.07.05.jpg

Its as good as i can get it...Think ill do a few extra touch-ups in some areas that are lacking...then hopefully the next time i see it will be with a rifle on it...!!!

your an artist Stix, no doubt about it :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 14 Aug 2018, 6:57 pm

marksman wrote:
Stix wrote:Did my other shooting bench top today...its the closest ive been to anything shooting related in a very very long month or so...
2018-04-29 22.16.58.jpg

2018-04-29 22.07.05.jpg

your an artist Stix, no doubt about it :thumbsup:

Thanks Marksman...
But i just did the usual YooChoob cheat-n-copy...but at least the birds cant make me out from above anymore... :lol:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by flashman » 19 Aug 2018, 7:00 pm

How do I add a heater to my bench ???????? :mrgreen:
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 19 Aug 2018, 8:29 pm

flashman wrote:How do I add a heater to my bench ???????? :mrgreen:

Wear a onezee while shooting & eat a can of baked beans 12 hrs before you shoot...?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 20 Aug 2018, 2:18 am

Careful beans means gass... and it's methane so you are likely to burn your butt hairs or miss your shot due to the forward movement upon venting of said gas
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by flashman » 20 Aug 2018, 8:02 pm

Sounds goog baked beans are the go .... 8-)
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by green_comet » 03 Oct 2018, 6:21 pm

Awesome idea guys!

I used this thread and this video on YouTube as a guide for making one also. I ended up getting a Kincrome saw horse, because they were very sturdy and have locking pins, and I used this Formrite sheet for the top. The piece of wood that came with the saw horse I used to brace the legs to the top and bolted it all together.

It came out pretty good, folds flat and is very sturdy, it easily held my weight 6'2" and 100kg. Total size is 1000Lx600Wx780H and it weighs about 7kg at a guess. I still need to do round some corners, do some sanding and cut a handle into each side, not sure if I should paint the top board or cover it with marine carpet.

Anyways here's pics, thanks to everyone in this thread for the inspiration.

green_comet
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 03 Oct 2018, 10:17 pm

that's a tidy looking bench you've made mate, and thanks for the pix. i might have a crack at making one like it myself this weekend.
Member-Deleted

Post by green_comet » 05 Oct 2018, 6:02 pm

Thanks mate.

I've cleaned it up a little, rounded the edges, cut out a handle and some notches in case I want to lean a rifle or two against it. Still needs a paint.

green_comet
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Oct 2018, 6:10 pm

green_comet wrote:Thanks mate.

I've cleaned it up a little, rounded the edges, cut out a handle and some notches in case I want to lean a rifle or two against it. Still needs a paint.

But is it high enough to sit on a stool or chair and shoot?
The reason I built mine the way I did was for that reason. On average about 100mm higher from memory.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 05 Oct 2018, 7:20 pm

nice job :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 08 Oct 2018, 1:28 pm

Of course you don't mind if anyone copies it do you?
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 08 Oct 2018, 7:03 pm

Mate i rekon a few of us have copied a few of us on here...so copy away...!!

The more copies there are means the less chance old bloke will have of suing me & marksman... :drinks: :lol:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 08 Oct 2018, 7:05 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
green_comet wrote:Thanks mate.

But is it high enough to sit on a stool or chair and shoot?
The reason I built mine the way I did was for that reason. On average about 100mm higher from memory.

Actually thinking about it old bloke...what about those cut-outs for the rifles to rest in--if its short in height might hit scope ey...?

If so maybe do bigger cut outs...?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment