Cheap laser bore sighter

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Cheap laser bore sighter

Post by tucked » 27 Dec 2013, 12:19 pm

Anyone got one of the cheap laser bore sighters they sell on ebay?

From $20 to $100 seems to be the price range.

I'm a bit sus on the $20. I can't imagine they're made to the highest precision standards?

I'm half thinking the cheap ones will be not be straight down the barrel.

Anyone got one? Accurate enough?
tucked
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Cheap laser bore sighter

Post by Turkle » 28 Dec 2013, 8:05 am

Never tried one... For $20 though it wouldn't be the end of the world...

I reckon they'd be alright? If it's straight for the laser to get out of the barrel surely it's straight enough to get you on paper for sighting in.

Won't be perfect, but still a time saver.
Tikka T3 Super Varmint - .22-250 Rem
Marlin XS7 - 7mm-08
Winchester 1902 - .22
Burris Eliminator / Weaver Super Slam
Turkle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Hucka » 28 Dec 2013, 3:00 pm

Turkle wrote:If it's straight for the laser to get out of the barrel surely it's straight enough to get you on paper for sighting in.

I reckon that's right.

If it's clean out of the barrel it would be accurate enough. You'd know pretty quick if there was a problem, just buy from some seller on ebay with good return process just in case?
Hucka
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by saucy » 28 Dec 2013, 5:27 pm

A lot of the ebay sellers are pretty good and competitive with this kind of stuff these days. Returns policies and the after sales stuff.

For $20? Meh, go for it.
Sako L46 222 Remington
Savage 112 300 Winchester Magnum
Winchester 1886 45-70 (Goes here when I win the lottery :( )
saucy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Press » 28 Dec 2013, 7:38 pm

Just $20? You worry too much about money mate ;)
Howa 'bout it?

Howa Hunter 308
Marlin 444
Howa Talon 25-06
Winchester 1900 22LR
Press
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Old Fart » 28 Dec 2013, 8:14 pm

Press wrote:Just $20? You worry too much about money mate ;)

A penny saved... And all that.

That could be a six pack you're tossing away ;)
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Aug 2015, 10:24 am

I honestly wouldn't waste my money on a bore sighter (got one sitting in the cupboard someone gave me and never used it)

I find this method to be as good as any to get on paper and on target ASAP without having to shoot a heap of shots (I generally set up a target at around 20m or so) look down the bore and make sure I can see the target through it (obviously not possible with Levers etc) but looking down the barrel should get you on paper easy enough) then its just a matter of following the method shown in the vid.

I'm usually hitting POA in a matter of 2 or 3 shots depending on adjustments needed to fine tune, then a quick test out at 100m to adjust vertical and any fine tune if needed and she's ready for action, she's a quick and easy method to get you shooting sooner than later, give it a go. :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiOpQY2ORo4
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 15 Aug 2015, 2:21 pm

I was given a couple of those ebay lasers that are shaped like casings. I had no issue. Just loaded it, pointed it at the furthest wall in the house (about 15-16m) and adjusted the scope to a couple of inches below. Got me into the general area pretty quickly.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by sandgroperbill » 15 Aug 2015, 2:39 pm

because i shoot at things further than 16m away
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Aug 2015, 3:48 pm

bentaz wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:look down the bore and make sure I can see the target
o4

Thats the problem, I can't get the bolt out of my .303 with the scope on it, which was why I thought id try this.
It has the turn out style mounts. I'm not sure if I should try with taller mounts or line the bore up then mount the scope?

You could just look down the barrel (outside) at a target set up close (that should work fine too) you only need to get one shot on target then use that method in the vid to adjust the scope to the hole - end of he day all you are trying to do is line the scope up with the bore and that should do it just fine. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Sender » 17 Aug 2015, 3:00 pm

2c.

Stick two A4 paper together for a big target with a dot on it and sight in at 20 or 30 metres. That close with target that big you just about can't miss.

Get it zeroed then all you'll have to do at 100m is a few inches of elevation at worst, you won't be feet off like you can be with an out of the box scope.
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 17 Aug 2015, 3:37 pm

Sender wrote:2c.

Stick two A4 paper together for a big target with a dot on it and sight in at 20 or 30 metres. That close with target that big you just about can't miss.

Get it zeroed then all you'll have to do at 100m is a few inches of elevation at worst, you won't be feet off like you can be with an out of the box scope.

You get it :thumbsup: so simple yet people seem to struggle with it for some reason. :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by jays » 18 Aug 2015, 10:05 am

I do that too.

Sight in at 25m so it's reaaaal easy to be on paper straight away and dial it in. Don't have to worry about wind, bugger all shooter error etc.

Just gotta remember you need 4x the clicks at 25m than you do at 100m. So to go an inch down it's 16 clicks instead of 4.

Once you're on bullseye at 25m you're shooting about 3" high at 100m.

Get on bullseye at 25m, then do 12 clicks down on your scope and you should be about zero'd at 100m :)
jays
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment