Sweets 7.62 Corrosion test

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Re: Sweets 7.62 Corrosion test

Post by straightshooter » 06 Feb 2018, 7:14 am

Oldbloke wrote:Wouldn't Kero or Petrol do much the same job?

Not quite sure what you mean.
Carbie cleaner contains very aggressive solvents.
It will rapidly dissolve some paints and even plastics that don't seem to be affected by petrol or kero, well at least not in the short term.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Feb 2018, 7:23 am

"Before you want to fire the gun run a dry patch down the bore. Then a patch with Carby Cleaner, Which is a metho and Acetone mix. This will remove the oil and give a good dry bore. Run 1 more dry patch through.
sungazer"

I meant kero or petrol for this.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 06 Feb 2018, 7:54 am

Both would be OK but I would question the need if a light oil is used.
I would choose kero as preferable to petrol and wax and grease remover (prepsol) or turps preferable to kero provided you have either on hand.
In my case, for short term storage (days,weeks,months) I use a light oil in the barrel. These days it's inox. I just dry patch the barrel and separately patch the chamber prior to use.
For long term storage (years +) I use a lanolin based oil which turns gummy after a few months. In that case I use a patch moistened with prepsol or turps because I usually have these on hand but when needed any hydrocarbon would do the job.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 06 Feb 2018, 8:53 am

If you want something that is not as aggressive as Carb Cleaner give Shellite a go, it doesn't leave a residue like Metho does. It evaporates very quickly.

Gets used for cleaning off grease, wax, oils, neutralizing cleaning solvents and even cleaning the supply of cleaning brushes and mops. Handy at the range.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 06 Feb 2018, 10:21 am

And if you want a more aggresive cleaner in general for removing things ie bits of sticky stuff left behind from say double sided tape ect or any types of gum. Brake cleaner is good that is a 100% hydocarbon. Its like what is used as a solvent for concrete sealer and other high strength paints. I haven't tried it on the gun as yet but am finding a 101 uses for it around the workshop, garage never on brakes as yet.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Feb 2018, 7:23 pm

sungazer wrote:And if you want a more aggresive cleaner in general for removing things ie bits of sticky stuff left behind from say double sided tape ect or any types of gum. Brake cleaner is good that is a 100% hydocarbon. Its like what is used as a solvent for concrete sealer and other high strength paints. I haven't tried it on the gun as yet but am finding a 101 uses for it around the workshop, garage never on brakes as yet.

Tea tree oils great for removing sticky gum too and cheap. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by AusTac » 06 Feb 2018, 7:29 pm

+ 1 for brake cleaner, used it for years for practically everything, cleans car oil off my arms daily
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment