Cleaning maintenance inside receiver & chamber...

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Cleaning maintenance inside receiver & chamber...

Post by Stix » 26 Feb 2018, 4:58 pm

So...
I like to give all toys (except the rimfire's) a decent once over every time i shoot them (doesnt always happen but i sleep better if i do it).
For wiping out the chamber i just use patch material wrapped arond an old brush on part of an old take down rod...wipe out the gunk & oil them.

Given the amount of carbon & gunk i can get out of the chamber & parts of the receiver that are (relatively) easily accessable, i figure it must also get that bad in the bolt lug area...
And sometimes it can get pretty dirty & gritty in the receiver after a few days of spitting non-ferrous metals at ferals & targets around a dusty farm...

So for those that do clean, how do you go about cleaning out the receiver, & particularly up the front where the bolt lugs hide...???
Any tips n tricks with method/tools you use...?
do you grease or oil lugs...?
If so, what with/how often etc...?

Curious to know peoples thoughts &/or regime's...
Cheers
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Cleaning maintenance inside receiver & chamber...

Post by juststarting » 26 Feb 2018, 5:51 pm

Use large patch, so if I'm doing exactly what you're asking and cleaning my 308, I use 45-70 patch with eyelet (spelling???) jag (don't know what it's called, one with a hole, not a spike) and a pistol cleaning rod. Works fine.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 26 Feb 2018, 5:59 pm

Stix wrote:So...
I like to give all toys (except the rimfire's) a decent once over every time i shoot them (doesnt always happen but i sleep better if i do it).
For wiping out the chamber i just use patch material wrapped arond an old brush on part of an old take down rod...wipe out the gunk & oil them.

Given the amount of carbon & gunk i can get out of the chamber & parts of the receiver that are (relatively) easily accessable, i figure it must also get that bad in the bolt lug area...
And sometimes it can get pretty dirty & gritty in the receiver after a few days of spitting non-ferrous metals at ferals & targets around a dusty farm...

So for those that do clean, how do you go about cleaning out the receiver, & particularly up the front where the bolt lugs hide...???
Any tips n tricks with method/tools you use...?
do you grease or oil lugs...?
If so, what with/how often etc...?

Curious to know peoples thoughts &/or regime's...
Cheers

Having gotten into lever actions I can't believe how filthy they get, especially with cast bullets.
My Norinco JW21 needs a complete tear down every 500rds or so to clean out all the powder residue and lead shavings. The lead mainly fouls the extractors, which the system relies on for feeding. I use a set of dental picks to drag lead out of all the hidden nooks in the receiver and bolt. I also have to scrape off lead that's dropped into moving parts and been smeared across the steel.

Dental picks are also handy for patching out the bolt lug recesses in the bolt actions.

I clean the bore when accuracy starts to drop off, roughly around 1000rds in .22LR, but centrefires can vary hugely from a few dozen to a few hundred rounds. I clean the action more often, but not after every use.

I generally just use Outers Nitro Solvent as it's a three-in-one carbon/copper/lead solvent and oil so I don't need to oil it after cleaning. If I've been out in rain I'll wipe off any water and dump some gun oil on the outer steel, then wipe it all over the metal and wood by hand.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 26 Feb 2018, 6:19 pm

I've been meaning to buy chamber brushes for years ... just keeping forgetting about them every time I go shopping for gun stuff.

I just use patches and work them around the chamber. & clean the bolt and lugs, lubricate the cam and lugs with molly grease. ( sparingly )
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by AusTac » 26 Feb 2018, 7:24 pm

I use a pistol rod and a .50 cal mop to oil my chamber after every clean and it still gets surface rust between uses!!!!!!

I also buy like bulk backs of ear buds and bend them to a right angle (ish) to clean out any goo in the actions and around the lugs
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Stix » 26 Feb 2018, 9:17 pm

bladeracer wrote: I clean the action more often, but not after every use.

How do you clean the receiver out BR...?
& Do you get into the bolt lug recess...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 26 Feb 2018, 9:20 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I've been meaning to buy chamber brushes for years ... just keeping forgetting about them every time I go shopping for gun stuff.

Me too...thats one of the reasons i ask...lol...

on_one_wheel wrote: clean the bolt and lugs, lubricate the cam and lugs with molly grease. ( sparingly )

Forgive my apparent ignorance, but whats moly grease...?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Feb 2018, 9:22 pm

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 27 Feb 2018, 8:41 am

Stix wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:I've been meaning to buy chamber brushes for years ... just keeping forgetting about them every time I go shopping for gun stuff.

Me too...thats one of the reasons i ask...lol...

on_one_wheel wrote: clean the bolt and lugs, lubricate the cam and lugs with molly grease. ( sparingly )

Forgive my apparent ignorance, but whats moly grease...?

molybdenum disulfide.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molybdenum_disulfide

The moly impregnates into steel surfaces and makes things very slick.
Even once the grease drys and disperses the molybdenum disulfide acts as a dry lubricant.
download.jpg
download.jpg (9.6 KiB) Viewed 4456 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 27 Feb 2018, 10:13 am

Stix wrote:

A variety of brushes and dental picks and a mirror after a liberal spray with solvent. Compressed air also works well.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 27 Feb 2018, 4:49 pm

lots of good ideas fellas. i've been neglecting cleaning chamber/receiver area. howdoo yas reckon my gerni water blaster would go ? maybe with a bit of truck wash ? :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by nightforcenxs » 27 Feb 2018, 9:29 pm

i must be over cleaning i wipe the chamber the action out every time i go shooting and sometimes thats only 50 shots and i give the bore a good clean and my 44 mag lever gun i take the bolt out clean it and clean the receiver aswell with cotton tips then re oil everything
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 27 Feb 2018, 10:02 pm

Thats pretty much what i do nightforcenxs...

Do you clean the bolt lug recess...?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Apollo » 27 Feb 2018, 10:17 pm

There are a few "Chamber Cleaning" kits that are available which include smick angled brushes etc. Perhaps not cheap.

BUT... Guys like me that play with Custom Target Rifles use the gear near every clean...

Look it up in other places but one is "BRT Shooting" for the Benchrest guys...

Clean is neat, it's accuracy no matter how crazy you go...every bit counts to WIN at International Level... also very accurate Hunter / Varmint Shooters....
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 28 Feb 2018, 7:24 am

Stix wrote:

Chamber brush mate. Brass brush that fits the chamber and has a broader 'collar' brush that fits in the battery. Then i use a shotty bore mop to give it a final wipe out.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by MontyShooter » 28 Feb 2018, 7:56 am

Dewey chamber and lug recess cleaning kit does the job for me.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by nightforcenxs » 28 Feb 2018, 8:46 am

Stix wrote:Thats pretty much what i do nightforcenxs...

Do you clean the bolt lug recess...?

as best as i can mate im very paranoid about anything rusting as my la101 got rust where the bolt lugs lock in the receiver but so i found out it was a manufacturing fault of them not cleaning the action correctly before doing the cerakote kinda scary seeing rust coming through the cerakote was the only la101 to ever do it but luckily lithgow didnt mess around and paid for a postage bag themselves to be sent directly back to them and no other importer
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 28 Feb 2018, 10:18 am

MontyShooter wrote:Dewey chamber and lug recess cleaning kit does the job for me.

Where did you get it from Monty...?
I struggle to find dewey gear anywhere...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Apollo » 28 Feb 2018, 3:56 pm

Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by MontyShooter » 01 Mar 2018, 7:42 am

Stix wrote:
MontyShooter wrote:Dewey chamber and lug recess cleaning kit does the job for me.

Where did you get it from Monty...?
I struggle to find dewey gear anywhere...

From memory I got it from a gun store in Mansfield Victoria.
Agree it wasn't easy to track down.
Not exxy though. Maybe $30
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment