One-piece cleaning rod or takedown rod?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

One-piece cleaning rod or takedown rod?

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 28 Feb 2018, 7:01 am

I bought a one piece rod a year or so ago because everything on the net seemed to lean towards them, now it turns out i bought a dud, as the red coating on it has started rubbing off and leavingred shavings in barrels. So I'm back to using my old 4 piece blued steel rod while i work out what I wanna buy

What does everyone use when it comes to cleaning rods ?
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: One-piece cleaning rod or takedown rod?

Post by sungazer » 28 Feb 2018, 7:09 am

A stainless one piece or just take off the red when it gets tatty and the put on a piece of electrical heat shrink. The multiple piece rods are really only good for the once in a while when traveling if absolutely needed. We have probably all had them and found why its best not to use them as they bend an will break where they screw together.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Gwion » 28 Feb 2018, 7:19 am

And get a bore guide to help eliminate the warp in tbe rod that is causing it to wear on the barrel.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Stix » 28 Feb 2018, 10:21 am

I use the dewey coated rods...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 28 Feb 2018, 10:26 am

+1 for the one piece stainless :thumbsup:
There's also a thread on here somewhere about using poly/ag pipe for the bore guide as gwion suggested :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 28 Feb 2018, 11:04 am

I use one-piece rods, but I have an AR15-style cleaning kit with a sectional rod for when I'm away from home - very compact kit. I also have one of the OTIS cleaning kits with the pull-through, but I've never used it. I have several of the one-piece plastic pull-throughs in a variety of calibers, again I'm not sure that I've ever used those either, but they're handy to keep in the cheek rest bag on the rifle stock.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 28 Feb 2018, 11:33 am

One piece stainless for sure mate, but as mentioned i also have a quality screw together one for the chambers so i'm not trying to use a 36" rod 6 inches into the action
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Archie » 28 Feb 2018, 12:06 pm

I use a one-piece, only because I was once shown a rifle at St Marys where from what I was told, the guy had been breaking in the barrel using a multi-piece rod, and one of the pieces came loose and he didn't notice. Not quite sure how that could happen, but what was left of the rifle was a bit disturbing.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by albat » 28 Feb 2018, 4:53 pm

Tried them all including bore snakes and those rip cord things dont bother with anything but a quality one piece rod especially with the smaller calibres
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 28 Feb 2018, 6:02 pm

If it's of interest to anybody I have tried to collect specs of different cleaning rod and brush manufactures.

Most manufacturers make female rods. You need male brushes and jags for these.
All .17 & .20 rods I've found are threaded No.5-40tpi female.
Most rods for .22 and larger calibers are No.8-32tpi female - Birchwood Casey, Montana X-Treme, Hoppes, Lyman, Pro-Shot, Bore Tech, and uncoated Dewey rods.
Most shotgun rods are threaded 5/16"-27tpi female.

Outers do a proprietary No.7-32tpi female thread for which they make a No.8-32tpi adaptor - no idea why. Maybe a typo?
Dewey also do a No.12-28tpi male thread for a .270-caliber coated rod.
All Otis pull-through kits seem to be No.5-40tpi.

Parker Hale rods and Dewey coated rods - except their coated shotgun rod - are male.
Dewey SS, Carbon and brass rods are female - except the brass shotgun rod which is No.12-28tpi male.
Dewey also recommend using a .20 rod for .22 bores as their .22 rods are sometimes too tight.
Dewey also lists their .22 coated rod as No.8-36tpi - probably a typo as I've never seen a No.8-36tpi brush.

I would suggest avoiding Parker Hale and carefully choosing Dewey products, and you should have no problems with brushes and jags not fitting your rods, or needing adapters.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 28 Feb 2018, 7:10 pm

The Parker Hale Jags are the ducks nuts though. I would highly recommend them. They allow you to wrap the patch like a cigar paper around the rod. It gives heaps of surface area you can vary the contact pressure by how much patch you wrap. They clean the whole surface without missing bits as they uniform no wrinkles.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment