Recommended hard rifle cases

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Recommended hard rifle cases

Post by Lorgar » 07 Mar 2018, 10:38 am

I'm after a hard carry case to suit a single rifle.

Single rifle only, needs to suits a length of 108cm / 43". Prefer plastic to aluminium etc.

I'm after something discreet I can carry too/from the car etc. without neighbours realising it's a rifle, so nothing covered in camo, or with "WINCHESTER" plastered down the side etc.

Unfortunately my 2 LGS don't have much in store, and I'm reluctant to order online without seeing/feeling it.

Anyone have any recommendations?
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: Recommended hard rifle cases

Post by bladeracer » 07 Mar 2018, 10:46 am

My brother and I use cheap aluminium cases. They're double-sided but they also come in singles.
Something like this?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aluminum-Lockable-Hard-Gun-Case-Safe-Rifle-Shooting-Hunting-Portable-Carry-Box/122575032043
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 07 Mar 2018, 11:33 am

Hard to go past Pelican but too expensive for this little black duck... :(
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Stix » 07 Mar 2018, 1:18 pm

I got a plastic "howa" branded case from the big store in Qld... $60-$70 from memory...not lockable but egg shell foam lined top & bottom.
Im pretty happy with the case for the money...!

I bought it for transporting my one & only hard earned Sako...
Many have said to put a big Sako sticker over the howa monogram...but i like that people arent interested in stealing my howa... :clap:

Funny egos at the range...
Peoples reactions are as varied as they are funny when pulling it out of the case at the range...

Some say "thats a nice howa"
Ive heard... "im not a fan of howa, i like Sako & Kimba but they are too expensive for some, so how does this howa shoot...?" All while holding the rifle. :arrow:

Ive even said to a self confessed sako fan that the gun in my case is a sako as ive opened the case...he's looked at it & said "yea you wish" then strutted away all high & mighty thinking it was a howa... :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 07 Mar 2018, 1:19 pm

Gwion wrote:Hard to go past Pelican but too expensive for this little black duck... :(

Yup...!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 07 Mar 2018, 2:54 pm

Check these guys out, they support the Illawarra Hunting Club of which I'm a member and are good to deal with.

https://www.evolutiongear.com.au/weapons-ammo/rifle-cases/
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 07 Mar 2018, 4:21 pm

Funny egos at the range...
Peoples reactions are as varied as they are funny when pulling it out of the case at the range...

Some say "thats a nice howa"
Ive heard... "im not a fan of howa, i like Sako & Kimba but they are too expensive for some, so how does this howa shoot...?" All while holding the rifle. :arrow:

Ive even said to a self confessed sako fan that the gun in my case is a sako as ive opened the case...he's looked at it & said "yea you wish" then strutted away all high & mighty thinking it was a howa... :lol:[/quote]

that's priceless, meet all sorts at a rifle range :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 07 Mar 2018, 4:27 pm

The pelicans look like there is going to be a rifle in there. they are nearly as heavy as the rifle too. At least they have wheels on them. I have seen some cases where the gun is stored in a more upright position like you were shooting it. they take up less ground space and look a bit less like a rifle may be in there.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Wombat » 07 Mar 2018, 5:38 pm

The plain black plastic Winchester cases are pretty cheap and subtle, chuck a couple of fishing stickers on it and its a rod case.

Saw them on special at the new shop in Sunbury (in the street behind the Bunnings) the other day -cant remember exactly how much but under $100 for sure.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Mongrel » 07 Mar 2018, 7:47 pm

these arent overly cheap but they are very sturdy

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Produc ... 5mm/372888
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 07 Mar 2018, 7:58 pm

Mongrel wrote:these arent overly cheap but they are very sturdy

Might just have a good kook at these on Friday...
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Bigjobss » 07 Mar 2018, 8:15 pm

Gwion wrote:Hard to go past Pelican but too expensive for this little black duck... :(

I have a couple, one shotgun (1700) and one long gun (1750) because they are "work related expenses" and IMO they are way too big unless you really need the hardcore protection they offer, I've taken mine on really rough tracks and down to Tassie one the boat and felt very comfortable, but in my ute it barely fits so I rarely use it, if I had to pay for them I would not buy them.
Bigjobss

Post by Gwion » 07 Mar 2018, 8:34 pm

I just want one for travelling. Something i can fir two scoped rifles in.
Those Supercheap Auto ones look like they might do me til i win lotto, though.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Archie » 07 Mar 2018, 8:57 pm

I have a pelican that I use when I’m going on a trip, because I drive a 4wd and it’s a good alternative if you don’t have a car boot or a box on a ute - it’s a lockable hard case I can chain inside the vehicle. That ticks a lot of boxes in most states for going “above and beyond” what is needed to hit minimum transport requirements.

But... the thing it doesn’t get around at all is the “concealment” bit. I have a similar problem, I live in the city and I don’t like the neighbours to know what’s in the case when I’m unpacking the car. Don’t have a good answer to that yet. I’ve used duffel bags before, but for longer guns that doesn’t work. I have one mate who uses a guitar case...
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 07 Mar 2018, 10:47 pm

It wouldn't be too hard to make a nice timber case from ply and wood, Piano hinge down one side and some catches to lock it up.

You probably seen this one before...big, heavy and I had to buy a trailer to grunt it around then had to fit an electric winch to lift it on and out. I over engineered the box and it'll double up as my coffin when I die but the rifle is worth a small fortune and some of the roads I travel on are nasty so I didn't worry too much about the weight of it.
IMG_3045.JPG
IMG_3045.JPG (104.67 KiB) Viewed 8064 times
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bent Arrow » 08 Mar 2018, 6:37 am

These look pretty good, just be aware that you'll struggle to fit any rifle with a bit of length in them. I bought one with the intent to be able to fit 2x rifles in and my tikka T3 Hunter is about an inch too long, had to go in on an angle so becomes a very large case for one rifle
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Mongrel » 08 Mar 2018, 6:50 am

Bent Arrow wrote:

These look pretty good, just be aware that you'll struggle to fit any rifle with a bit of length in them. I bought one with the intent to be able to fit 2x rifles in and my tikka T3 Hunter is about an inch too long, had to go in on an angle so becomes a very large case for one rifle

i measured my howa 308 with 20inch barrel and it looks like it will fit with 4-5mm to spare. ive only got a cheap plastic case atm which is quite flimsy and doesnt fit descant locks. This will be the case i get.
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 08 Mar 2018, 7:08 am

Oh... my 7-08 won't fit :(
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Bigjobss » 08 Mar 2018, 7:12 am

Archie wrote:I have a pelican that I use when I’m going on a trip, because I drive a 4wd and it’s a good alternative if you don’t have a car boot or a box on a ute - it’s a lockable hard case I can chain inside the vehicle. That ticks a lot of boxes in most states for going “above and beyond” what is needed to hit minimum transport requirements.

But... the thing it doesn’t get around at all is the “concealment” bit. I have a similar problem, I live in the city and I don’t like the neighbours to know what’s in the case when I’m unpacking the car. Don’t have a good answer to that yet. I’ve used duffel bags before, but for longer guns that doesn’t work. I have one mate who uses a guitar case...

Same situation here but IMO the width/double capacity the Pelicans dont look like a typical case, the average city dweller is suprised we are allowed one gun let alone two.

You could always put a few Casio and Depeche Mode stickers and pretend its a keyboard, how do you feel about stitching shoulder pads into your hunting jackets?
Bigjobss

Post by sungazer » 08 Mar 2018, 7:38 am

My long rifle fits in the 1750 case and before cutting the foam I was able to just fit two scoped guns I think but not offering too much protection to the scopes. I have since cut out the foam and it just fits the one rifle from to to toe butt sits against one end barrel has about 20mm Foam is cut to size so it doesn't move much at all.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Lorgar » 08 Mar 2018, 4:48 pm

bladeracer wrote:My brother and I use cheap aluminium cases. They're double-sided but they also come in singles.
Something like this?

That would do if it's going to last. I was a bit dubious at $60, but you reckon it's alright?

Yeah the single Pelican was about $420 from memory I think :?

Bigjobss wrote:I have a couple, one shotgun (1700) and one long gun (1750) because they are "work related expenses" and IMO they are way too big unless you really need the hardcore protection they offer

It's the discreet appearance I'm after, with any of soft rifle bag it's pretty clear what's in it, so hard case is the only option.

Archie wrote:But... the thing it doesn’t get around at all is the “concealment” bit. I have a similar problem, I live in the city and I don’t like the neighbours to know what’s in the case when I’m unpacking the car.

Same boat here. Don't want some hysterical neighbour calling the cops because "some guy is walking around with a gun". I figure a hard case with some conspicuously placed music or tool stickers is the go.
Last edited by Lorgar on 08 Mar 2018, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 08 Mar 2018, 4:56 pm

Lorgar wrote:That would do if it's going to last. I was a bit dubious at $60, but you reckon it's alright?

How hard are you planning on treating it?
If it's got my rifles in it then it doesn't get flung around by me.
My brother pretty regularly brings his rifles down from Canberra in one in his Jeep.

I don't know how you can carry a rifle without looking like you've got something expensive that deserves the protection of an expensive case. Whether a thief thinks it's a firearm, pool cues, musical instruments or tools it's still going to temp them.
You could maybe modify a golf bag to carry rifles, do many golf bags get stolen?
To really pull it off though you'd probably need to dress the part too ;-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 08 Mar 2018, 5:53 pm

Golf bags get stolen a lot. They are probably much more in demand than rifles. A got the 1750 double for $450 delivered and like safes to get two rifles in depending on size. Certainly not two long target rifles with big scopes with room to protect as well. The cut out foam really is good as all the different sides of the shape keep the rifle from moving around and spread the load over the whole rifle.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by PaddyT » 09 Mar 2018, 7:12 am

Ive got 2 Flambaue hard plastic cases- eggshell foam inside , one is a single case and the other is a double. Lockable with a padlock , got my local fishing tackle store to get them in for me- the single was $100 and the double was $130- so far so good, they are black which means that they are easy to hide in the "shadows" of my car with a towel tossed over
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 09 Mar 2018, 7:26 am

Checked out the Supercheap Auto cases yesterday. Was tempting to get one for the 22 and 223 as i think it would have fit both but it was about 80mm short for my howa.

Then went to a LGS and looked ar pelican again. Double rifle case $525. :wtf:

Similar double hard case by Spika was $300. Was tempted but it was still 100 more than i had spare to spend on it....

Went to music store to look at bass guitar cases but the bloke wasn't interested in telling me the internal length: "it fits a base; what do you want to put in it?"

Going to check out bass flight cases....
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 09 Mar 2018, 7:49 am

https://www.giggear.com.au/road-and-fli ... ses/gator/

Some bass cases are 1200mm internal length. You would have to remove or modify some internals and get some foam but at $180-260, depending on features, pretty good value.

Also going to get a quote from a mob in Melbs on a custom flight case to fit two rifles...
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by SCJ429 » 06 May 2018, 9:28 pm

I have a couple of Pelican cases but use them the least because they are so heavy. Only use them when going on serious hunting trips. They also will not fit in the boot of my car and have to sit on the back seat.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment