Hearing Protection

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Hearing Protection

Post by Mattj82 » 24 Mar 2018, 12:15 pm

Hello All,

Just wondering what everyone is using for hearing protection at the range. I recently upgraded from Smart Reloader Passive muffs to Howard Leight Impact Pros. I really like being able to talk without taking them off, but they're not a great fit on my big head! Ideally what I would like are the moulded in-ear style (custom) with the ability to still hear speech (and the timer!), but not sure if such a thing exists. Anyone found the perfect solution?

Matt
Mattj82
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Hearing Protection

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Mar 2018, 12:57 pm

There are plenty of threads about hearing protection on this forum if you search.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Mattj82 » 24 Mar 2018, 2:33 pm

Oldbloke wrote:There are plenty of threads about hearing protection on this forum if you search.

Thanks, I did a search, but all the previous discussions seem to be on muffs, rather than an in-ear solution, which is what I am after.
Mattj82
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by nightforcenxs » 24 Mar 2018, 3:00 pm

you might want to have a look at the CENS digital ear plugs they are a moulded ear plug custom fit but have the electronic feature like the howard leight ear muffs have but they are expensive at $1000 or more for the higher end models check out ear mold australia website they list the whole product line
nightforcenxs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by AusTac » 24 Mar 2018, 3:35 pm

Surefire ep4's
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by bladeracer » 24 Mar 2018, 4:20 pm

Mattj82 wrote:Hello All,

Just wondering what everyone is using for hearing protection at the range. I recently upgraded from Smart Reloader Passive muffs to Howard Leight Impact Pros. I really like being able to talk without taking them off, but they're not a great fit on my big head! Ideally what I would like are the moulded in-ear style (custom) with the ability to still hear speech (and the timer!), but not sure if such a thing exists. Anyone found the perfect solution?

Matt

The in-ear moulds are available but they start at $600 and go up to $1200-odd.
https://www.earmold.com.au/cens-digital-electronic-earplugs

I'm using, when I remember to, electronic ear muffs that I picked up very cheap - around $25 a set from memory.
They work fine for me.

Went back through my Ebay history and found them.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Foldable-Shooting-Hunting-Electronic-Earmuffs-Noise-Canceling-Ear-Muffs-/272665469047
Last edited by bladeracer on 24 Mar 2018, 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by holden4th » 24 Mar 2018, 5:03 pm

This is what I use. They work very well.

https://www.amazon.com/progress-tracker ... 438929113#

Mine are the standard but the minis might be even better.

The alternative from what you are talking about is expensive. I can have a conversation with these and yet they still block the sound of the pistol I am using.
holden4th
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 24 Mar 2018, 5:09 pm

holden4th wrote:This is what I use. They work very well.

The alternative from what you are talking about is expensive. I can have a conversation with these and yet they still block the sound of the pistol I am using.

Your link doesn't work for me.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 24 Mar 2018, 5:28 pm

All that link tells me is you got them yesterday
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by TheDude » 24 Mar 2018, 6:18 pm

I use a pair of etymotic gsp-15s. They work really well. The foam covers that come with them are good but can be replaced with comply foam tip which create an even better seal.
TheDude
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 24 Mar 2018, 6:50 pm

II use the 3M Peltor Tactical 500 with Blue Tooth. A really good ear muff better hearing than without when quite and will block any load gun noise down to the 5 Ilevel I think it was. Old bloke told us what we needed to look for as far as suppression.
I was hoping I could listen to music over the blue tooth which you can do but turn off the mics of outside noise. Would have been good for on the tractor and even shooting in some instances. You really do need the electronic ones when shooting at the range so you can hear directions. I sometimes will put the foam plug in as well.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by sungazer » 24 Mar 2018, 6:53 pm

Austac what plus do you use? They are the fitted or molded to your ear aren't they? Did you get them at the shot show or where could I get some? can they be worn comfortably under muffs.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by marksman » 24 Mar 2018, 6:58 pm

I like and use the Howard Leight impact sport muffs
I don't go to ranges anymore so don't have to put up with everyone else's noise and these are fine for what I do
they are not class 5 that you would need minimum to use at a busy range
if you were stupid like I have been and attended a noisy range 3-4 days in a row with these muffs your ears would hurt and ring for a week
not a good thing to be doing :thumbsdown:
I'm pretty sure some ranges have it written down that to be able to use there range you must use class 5 hearing protection
I know for a fact that the R/O's are supposed to at ranges I have attended
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 24 Mar 2018, 7:12 pm

These cheap ones I'm using even cut off when I work the bolt or lever, or if I drop a case on the bench.
But they amplify normal noise.
I had lunch this week with a guy that wears electronic hearing protection for deer hunting with hounds. He's got very poor hearing so he uses them to amplify noises in the bush.

My problem with hearing protection is that I hate it. Many guys I've raced with wear earplugs, but when I've tried them I couldn't handle not being able to hear the engine. When I do remember to wear protection I invariably take it off at some point and carry on shooting without realising I've taken it off. Rose and I had hearing tests a couple weeks ago (we do our ears and eyes every twelve months) and apparently my hearing is still just fine, despite decades of helmet wind noise on the road and track, on top of decades of shooting and building site work. Try cutting steel fascia with a steel circular saw blade, that noise numbs my brain! I do have tinnitus which I've had for decades, annoying but doesn't really affect my hearing.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 24 Mar 2018, 10:11 pm

sungazer wrote:Austac what plus do you use? They are the fitted or molded to your ear aren't they? Did you get them at the shot show or where could I get some? can they be worn comfortably under muffs.

I use some made by surefire, they're a generic moulding but the 4's are really comfy, theres a few sizes/specs available for different applications, i get mine from sord australia (http://www.sordaustralia.com) for under $40 if i remember correctly, i've slept with them in a few times haha, easily be able to go under muffs but never i've never felt under protected in any situations as of yet
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Rod_outbak » 25 Mar 2018, 7:15 am

My first electronic muffs were a pair of Dillon Precision(~2001), which seemed great, until we discovered the speakers didnt have a limit filter on them. If you wound up the gain on the microphones, and sat in a quiet room for a few minutes, the damn auto-gain on the microphones would dial up, and tapping my finger on the table nearly blew my eardrum! Every other brand of electronic muff I've used since has a limit built into the speakers to prevent this, and I've not worn a pair of Dillons for over 15 years, so I hope they've fixed this. However, the Dillons were only 22db Noise reduction, which is woeful for most gunshots larger than a subsonic .22.

Keep in mind that many electronic muff specs are listed/rated for when they are switched off, and many manufacturers are incredibly vague about their noise reduction when operating. Many brands list a '28Db Noise reduction', and yet when you delve into the specs some more, you find the muff will only deliver 24db noise reduction when turned on, and 28 when turned off!
[OF COURSE I bought these electronic muffs so I could use them SWITCHED OFF!!]

I've had a number of different Peltor electronic muffs, and the best performers were the TAC-7's I had about 10 years back. I think they were 28Db, and that seemed to be pretty good for most shooting at the time. Slightly bulky compared to later muffs I've tried, but I think I used them for around 5 years before they died.
I tend to be a bit rough on earmuffs.

I've had about 3 pairs of the Peltor Sport-TAC electronic muffs, and found they easily deform if I forget and leave them in the car for a day or so(Sun/heat). Damn things never quite fit the replaceable cushion/inserts after that.. The Sport-TAC's are okay, but right on the limit for actual noise reduction. If your rifle is particularly noisy, I'd suggest trying something with better noise reduction. They are a nice slimline muff, and easy to wear/operate, though.
Likely you'd get away with them if you were using a relatively quiet rifle out in the open.
I doubt that even if any of my Sport-Tac's were still working, that they would have enough Noise reduction for the short barrel and brake on my new Ruger Precision Rifle.
Both types of Peltor electronic muffs I've owned have had 'audio in' ports, and I either input the handheld 2-way radio speaker when I'm mustering on a bike, or an MP3 audio feed in when I'm out persecuting wildlife on the bike/ATV.

I've had a pair of the cheap(ish) Ruger electronic muffs; they were pretty good for noise reduction, but fell apart about 18 months after purchase. They also had the batteries inside the centre of the muff(behind a piece of foam/fabric), which seemed to me to be great to pick up a lot of sweat over time. Not great for batteries; I've found. They did work well for noise reduction, though.

I've had a pair of 'Pro-Ears Gold' muffs, and mine were utter utter utter ******. One speaker got crackly within a few weeks, and they were really dodgey from new. Not as cheap as the Rugers, and I'll not buy them again.

I've got a pair of the 'Howard Leight Impact Sport' electronic muffs, and while I like them, they dont seem to cut enough noise when I started using the Ruger Precision Rifle (20" barrel & brake). I'd suspect they are only around 26db when switched on.

I've since reverted to a pair of ~32DB non-electronic muffs (Unisafe Zone '3' Class 5), and they might be more restrictive for situational awareness, but they are doing a lot more for preserving my hearing. Bear in mind that most rifle shooting will require noise reduction over around 28Db to stop you going deaf, and the higher the better for your hearing long-term.

There is a USA brand called 'Wolf Ears', which are supposed to be really good; apparently a lot supplied to US troops on deployment in the Middle East. They are supposed to clip the noise, rather than cut the noise out completely(which most electronic muffs tend to do). It allows for better hearing in noisy environments.
Never seen Wolf Ears for sale in Aus to date....

Another company makes another 'Clipping' electronic muff that I want to try, is a Western Australian firm called Sensear.
Here is one of their muffs that would equate to a shooting earmuff:
http://radioindustries.com.au/sensear-s ... -only.html
[They make a lot of muffs for the mining industry, and most models are set up for 2-way radio comms, and/or bluetooth phone connectivity.]
Very expensive, but these ones look to be very similar to the top-range Peltors as far as noise reduction, but are Clipping, rather than cutting out the audio to the earphone speakers.

I think when I get hot & sweaty about electronic muffs again (Like when I get well enough to start walking along creeks looking for Hot Pork), I'll go the Sensear muffs.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 25 Mar 2018, 7:55 am

Rod the ones I have are the sport Tac and they must have changed somewhat since you had them. They would now be on the bulkier side of the current offerings such as the Howards ect. They also are slightly more on the muting side of things than most and when on. They have survived one summer so far but they are not the most comfortable it may be my bald head and pretty tight on the head which I supposed they need to be to make a good seal. I have been thinking of a gel kit for them.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by holden4th » 25 Mar 2018, 4:43 pm

bladeracer wrote:
holden4th wrote:This is what I use. They work very well.

Your link doesn't work for me.

That's interesting because it's the Flare site. Maybe they are doing all their sales via Amazon.

Try this instead. It's local and a good price.

https://www.earjobs.com.au/products/fla ... 0133891720
holden4th
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment