Safe Installation

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Re: Safe Installation

Post by pete1 » 06 Apr 2018, 9:28 pm

If its next to a structural wall (one that holds roof up) it could be 300mm deep.
If you lived close by I'd do it for a slab of beer, but your a state away.
If you have a friend or family member you could ask for a favour or slab of beer, may be a better way to go if your not keen on DIY.
Last edited by pete1 on 12 Apr 2018, 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Rider888 » 11 Apr 2018, 5:15 pm

So the consensus is to sue Dynabolts but it seems, according to the Ramset website, that their Worcs Ankascrews are actually more heavy duty that dynabolts? Thoughts?
I guess I would like the option of removing the bolts at a later stage if I need to replace the safe
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bent Arrow » 11 Apr 2018, 5:32 pm

I'm interested in the responses you get to this. InSA if the safe weighs more than 150kg empty, it doesn't need to be bolted in. So much "holding" pressure do your anchor points need to provide?
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Rider888 » 11 Apr 2018, 6:23 pm

In NSW, regardless of size of safe, it needs to be bolted down for Pistols

Bent Arrow wrote:I'm interested in the responses you get to this. InSA if the safe weighs more than 150kg empty, it doesn't need to be bolted in. So much "holding" pressure do your anchor points need to provide?
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bent Arrow » 11 Apr 2018, 7:56 pm

Rider888 wrote:In NSW, regardless of size of safe, it needs to be bolted down for Pistols

Bent Arrow wrote:I'm interested in the responses you get to this. InSA if the safe weighs more than 150kg empty, it doesn't need to be bolted in. So much "holding" pressure do your anchor points need to provide?

Ahh yes, pistol safe......
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by pomemax » 11 Apr 2018, 11:53 pm

Rider where are you located
suburb only
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Rider888 » 12 Apr 2018, 5:18 am

pomemax wrote:Rider where are you located
suburb only

HI Mate

Thanks for your response. Please see PM.

Cheers
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by pete1 » 12 Apr 2018, 6:20 am

Rider888 wrote:So the consensus is to sue Dynabolts but it seems, according to the Ramset website, that their Worcs Ankascrews are actually more heavy duty that dynabolts? Thoughts?
I guess I would like the option of removing the bolts at a later stage if I need to replace the safe

Only issue is with Worcs Ankascrews if the concrete is brittle or you dont get a nice round hole when drilling they never seem to hold as well. There is cheap Dynabolts and good quality not all made under the name Dynabolt.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 12 Apr 2018, 8:39 am

I've used the ancascrews before and they are more difficult to use, their usefulness is dependant on the material they are being fixed into, I've had problems with some bricks that are too brittle and structural concrete that was too hard for them to bite into, dyna bolt are what everyone uses because they work well in just about evey situation, drill them deep and you can knock them flush when you upgrade to a bigger safe with different fixing holes, id also recommend epoxy type bolts such as chemset. You'll need to grind them off however.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Rider888 » 12 Apr 2018, 10:38 am

Ok Thanks. Maybe Dynabolts will be my weapon of choice. Cheers
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Apr 2018, 1:16 pm

Here's one I installed today

Floor

Wall

Took about 20mins to do, already had the holes in the safe from previous installations, just a matter of drilling the holes for the dynabolts and holes in the shed frame, once installed I trim the bolts down to the nuts so they don't protrude and damage firearms etc, I also put a foam matt in the bottom to cover the bolts.

very easy to do.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Terrence » 13 Apr 2018, 1:43 pm

Once the dynabolts are set you could change the nuts to "dome nuts" to finish the look.
Terrence
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Diesel » 13 Apr 2018, 2:07 pm

As a tradesman I have used ankascrews for years and love them, I will usually try them first but always have dyna or chem bolts handy.
Diesel
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Bent Arrow » 13 Apr 2018, 5:44 pm

Here's one someone else installed earlier

_20180413_083708.JPG
_20180413_083708.JPG (498.08 KiB) Viewed 4562 times
Attachments
_20180413_083850.JPG
_20180413_083850.JPG (487.94 KiB) Viewed 4560 times
_20180413_083824.JPG
_20180413_083824.JPG (451.62 KiB) Viewed 4562 times
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 13 Apr 2018, 6:46 pm

I don't know bent do those door hinges comply? :)
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Bent Arrow » 13 Apr 2018, 8:21 pm

sungazer wrote:I don't know bent do those door hinges comply? :)

Being external hinges, probably not
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Tiger650 » 14 Apr 2018, 9:12 am

Ramset make the "Chemset", this is a glass tube capsule you drop into a drilled hole in concrete, then run in the supplied stud.

These things do not come out, if sufficient force is applied you will rip out a chunk of concrete around the stud.

That said dynabolts work fine and 75mm into a 100mm slab would be damn strong.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Apr 2018, 9:31 am

Bent Arrow wrote:
sungazer wrote:I don't know bent do those door hinges comply? :)

Being external hinges, probably not

That is for sungazers Stirling 22lr. :allegedly:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 14 Apr 2018, 10:24 am

I'm the type who thinks more is always better
and I don't know what the regs are in NSW but here in VIC you don't have to bolt the safe into the floor and wall
solidly bolted to the wall is enough if it is too much hassle for you to bolt into a floor
vice versa as well :thumbsup:

earlier this year a farm was broken into where the thieves stole the gun locker and the wall it was attached to also
as they used the farmers tractor to pull the safe out :lol: :lol: I shouldn't laugh :shock: :lol: :lol:
if thieves want it you can only slow them down :allegedly:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Sockeye » 02 May 2018, 6:28 am

Bent Arrow wrote:
Rider888 wrote:In NSW, regardless of size of safe, it needs to be bolted down for Pistols

What if my pistol safe is 1.5 tons and has no provision for bolting down?
Sockeye
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Archie » 02 May 2018, 7:46 am

Sockeye wrote:
Bent Arrow wrote:

What if my pistol safe is 1.5 tons and has no provision for bolting down?

Well, in NSW (Queensland I have nfi) then, sucks to be you. Act says has to be secured to premises. Just being unbelievably heavy doesn't count. That said, there is a provision where the police commissioner can give approval for alternative storage arrangements deemed to be not less than the requirements. I assume thats so they can approve strongrooms etc. So maybe could get it in under that.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Sockeye » 02 May 2018, 4:35 pm

I am pretty sure in QLD there is a form you can fill asking for an approval of alternative storage arrangements. May need to go that pathway.
Sockeye
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Rider888 » 11 May 2018, 5:30 am

Sockeye wrote:I am pretty sure in QLD there is a form you can fill asking for an approval of alternative storage arrangements. May need to go that pathway.

Or you could just drill 4 to 6 holes in the bottom as most others would.
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by sungazer » 11 May 2018, 9:02 am

Why drill the holes just cut the heads off some bolts and glue then to the base of the 1.5 ton safe or vault :D :lol:
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by trekin » 12 May 2018, 6:53 am

sungazer wrote:Why drill the holes just cut the heads off some bolts and glue then to the base of the 1.5 ton safe or vault :D :lol:

Had a mate told to do exactly that by the QPS inspection officer who said that they couldn't approve his six ton walk in safe for Cat C, D, H unless it appeared to comply with the Act. Next day, with bolt heads duly superglued in place, his safe was approved.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by selaga » 26 Jun 2018, 3:10 pm

My builder mate put me onto RAMSET ANKASCREW this is what I have used in all my safe installations. Advantage is that it sits flush and it is removable. If using M12 will need a very big power bar w/16mm impact socket or an impact driver (1/2") to drive in. Buy it from Bunnings in gold passified or galvanised finish.

Hope that helps you guys out.

Cheers,

Sel
selaga
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 26 Jun 2018, 6:52 pm

selaga wrote:My builder mate put me onto RAMSET ANKASCREW this is what I have used in all my safe installations. Advantage is that it sits flush and it is removable. If using M12 will need a very big power bar w/16mm impact socket or an impact driver (1/2") to drive in. Buy it from Bunnings in gold passified or galvanised finish.

Cheers,

Sel

Im not sure how they sit flush...?...they have a head on them so unless you have 15mm thick steel thats countersunk for the head they would sit proud...?!?

And you can remove dynabolts too if installed correctly...just not as easy...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by selaga » 27 Jun 2018, 7:26 pm

Stix wrote:
selaga wrote:My builder mate put me onto RAMSET ANKASCREW this is what I have used in all my safe installations. Advantage is that it sits flush and it is removable. If using M12 will need a very big power bar w/16mm impact socket or an impact driver (1/2") to drive in. Buy it from Bunnings in gold passified or galvanised finish.

Cheers,

Sel

Im not sure how they sit flush...?...they have a head on them so unless you have 15mm thick steel thats countersunk for the head they would sit proud...?!?

No centre stud protrusion like in the dynabolt and less chance to crack the concrete if close to the edge. Agree "flush" not correct term in this application...."less protrusion"....
selaga
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 27 Jun 2018, 7:43 pm

selaga wrote:
Stix wrote:

Cheers,

Sel

No centre stud protrusion like in the dynabolt and less chance to crack the concrete if close to the edge. Agree "flush" not correct term in this application...."less protrusion"....

Ah yes...gotcha...! :thumbsup:

Screw bolts are pretty handy...the cost is a bludy rort though i rekon...only one piece vs a dynabolt being 3 pieces that need assembling...
I cant see how they cost up to 5 times the cost of a dynabolt to manufacture... :unknown:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Next

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment