Gunpowder Bags.

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Gunpowder Bags.

Post by Keith » 09 Apr 2018, 11:26 am

I don't see a section for muzzleloading anywhere on this site so I will continue posting here. If this is not correct or not wanted please let me know.
Keith.
Back in the 18th century extra supplies of gunpowder were carried in bags of leather or a tight weave linen. These bags are lighter to carry in a pack than carrying extra powder horns. Some woodsmen used these bags once empty for storing spare plant & fungi tinders for flint & steel fire lighting.
I have 5 of these greased leather gunpowder bags.

“…fungus that grows on the outside of the birch-tree…used by all the Indians in those parts for tinder…called by the Northern Indians Jolt-thee, and is known all over the country bordering on Hudson’s Bay by the name of Pesogan…there is another kind…that I think is infinitely preferable to either. This is found in old decayed poplars, and lies in flakes…is always moist when taken from the tree but when dry…takes fire readily from the spark of a steel: but it is much improved by being kept dry in a bag that has contained gunpowder.”
~Samuel Hearne, Northern Canada, 1772
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/
Keith
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Gunpowder Bags.

Post by bigpete » 09 Apr 2018, 1:58 pm

Yeah doesn't seem to be many muzzlwloading enthusiasts here
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 09 Apr 2018, 2:03 pm

Keith, where you shooting the BP at? I'm just getting into it, have a rifle (Pedersoli Whitworth) but looking for a decent club near Sydney to join.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Keith » 09 Apr 2018, 3:12 pm

brett1868 wrote:Keith, where you shooting the BP at? I'm just getting into it, have a rifle (Pedersoli Whitworth) but looking for a decent club near Sydney to join.

I don't belong to any clubs except the one we run on our property Brett, I own Wychwood Forest in New England NSW. But many years ago I used to belong to the New South Wales Muzzleloading Association, I suggest you get in touch with them. They will know what groups there are close to you. I recommend you stay away from the S.S.A.A., they are just in it for themselves & I did not find them very nice to know!!!
Here is the link for the N.S.W.M.L.A. https://muzzleloadingassociation.com.au/links
If I can ever be of any assistance, contact me.
Regards, Keith.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/
Keith
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment