External firearm storage?

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

External firearm storage?

Post by spike1814813 » 19 Apr 2018, 8:14 pm

Hello all,

I will soon be getting my licence(QLD) but my wife is adamant she will not have rifles stored in the house.

So my question is are there gun locker hire or weapon storage facility's around Beenleigh Qld 4207? The closest one can find online is https://www.gatactical.com.au/secure-storage/ on the Gold Coast.

I have no friends nearby who have a weapon licence for me to store at there house, so any other suggestions or ideas boys?

Thanks,

Shane.E
spike1814813
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: External weapon storage?

Post by Harper » 20 Apr 2018, 10:52 am

Personally I don't think external storage is a viable long term option.

First the cost, it says on the page storage is a dollar a day. You want to pay $365 a year, every year, for ever?

I'm assuming it won't be 24 hours access either and that you can only pick up/drop off during normal hours.

Where are you going to clean your equipment as well? Come home from a trip and clean it all at home, then go back to the storage facility? What if you get home late and can't get there before closing. Then you're stuck at home with no storage, I know you'd be sleeping there and any firearms would be under your care for the temporary period, but I doubt the cops are going to be thrilled with that explanation.

Just doesn't seem doable to me mate. I think you need to have a safe at home. Any options for putting it in the shed? Under the house?

Worst case... Can you install the safe at a nearby mates or family members house? Double check QLD laws but I'm pretty sure you'll find you could have the safe at a family members and store your firearms there if they have no license, they just obviously can't have access to the safe.
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Re: External firearm storage?

Post by axio » 20 Apr 2018, 11:00 am

She said not in the house.

You could buy a small prefabricated shed and put it in the backyard, install a sturdy door with locks,etc. This way you also have a place to store ammo, accessories etc as well.
axio
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by spike1814813 » 20 Apr 2018, 11:07 am

By not at the house she means not registered there.

I'll look into workmates who have licences.
spike1814813
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Apr 2018, 11:10 am

What does she think the firearms will do if they are in the house? Sounds a bit like she needs educating more than you need external storage.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by juststarting » 20 Apr 2018, 11:23 am

Not going to work, mate. Work your s**t out or don't buy guns. You don't stop at one. You'll need to work on them. Etc. It just won't work.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 20 Apr 2018, 11:25 am

bigfellascott wrote:What does she think the firearms will do if they are in the house? Sounds a bit like she needs educating more than you need external storage.

BFS has the best approach, maybe get her out to a range for a try shooting experience. Make a deal with her that if she tries shooting and is still against guns in the house then you'll look at alternative storage options. The number of ladies taking up the sport astounds me and maybe if she tries it then your problems will be solved. Unless she really likes it, then you'll need a bigger safe :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Apr 2018, 12:17 pm

brett1868 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:What does she think the firearms will do if they are in the house? Sounds a bit like she needs educating more than you need external storage.

BFS has the best approach, maybe get her out to a range for a try shooting experience. Make a deal with her that if she tries shooting and is still against guns in the house then you'll look at alternative storage options. The number of ladies taking up the sport astounds me and maybe if she tries it then your problems will be solved. Unless she really likes it, then you'll need a bigger safe :)

You read my mind again :D If you can get them to try shooting they soon see how much fun it is and is nothing like the media portray it to be like, I'd start her out on a 22 that way she can get a bit used to the noise etc and not have to deal with recoil etc, gently does it approach. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by AusTac » 20 Apr 2018, 12:44 pm

Buy the biggest safe you can afford and carefully bolt it down

Then get a new wife ;)

Jokes of course, i know kenards do firearms storage lockers from what i've seen, but you really need to have a good chat to wifey they're not a big deal as above it creates just as many problems as it solves
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by pomemax » 20 Apr 2018, 1:08 pm

Shane.E
Its your house 2 grow a pair your married so start acting like the man in the relationship . Buy the biggest safe you can afford and carefully bolt it down if she bitches about it move it to the lounge room or bedroom.
Otherwise all you married life you will be under the thumb
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Re: External weapon storage?

Post by bladeracer » 20 Apr 2018, 2:08 pm

Harper wrote:Personally I don't think external storage is a viable long term option.

First the cost, it says on the page storage is a dollar a day. You want to pay $365 a year, every year, for ever?

I'm assuming it won't be 24 hours access either and that you can only pick up/drop off during normal hours.

Where are you going to clean your equipment as well? Come home from a trip and clean it all at home, then go back to the storage facility? What if you get home late and can't get there before closing. Then you're stuck at home with no storage, I know you'd be sleeping there and any firearms would be under your care for the temporary period, but I doubt the cops are going to be thrilled with that explanation.

Just doesn't seem doable to me mate. I think you need to have a safe at home. Any options for putting it in the shed? Under the house?

Worst case... Can you install the safe at a nearby mates or family members house? Double check QLD laws but I'm pretty sure you'll find you could have the safe at a family members and store your firearms there if they have no license, they just obviously can't have access to the safe.

My dealer charges a dollar a day to store firearms, I would prefer to have him look after them than put them in a locker, except for the 24hr access problem.

We have a permanent storage locker in town where we move stuff for safety during the fire season every year. 24hr access. Just a card for entry to the compound, a key to enter the unit, and a lock of our own to enter the locker itself. I've never asked about firearms though. They have CCTV so it's possible some moron sees you carting firearms in and calls Police, it'd be a good idea to make them aware of it I think. Hmmm...maybe I could set up a reloading room in one of their lockers ;-)

Could try talking to a neighbour. I don't think your storage has to be at an address you live at. An amenable neighbour could put your safe in their garage or shed so you can access it at all hours without affecting them at all?

Personally though, I agree with others. Your wife has issues that you will need to resolve, and soon. You don't want to get divorced for irreconcilable differences _after_ you have several dozen firearms, a half-tonne of ammo, and a dedicated reloading room. Get her involved. Even if she doesn't take to shooting (not everybody does), she might at least educate some others about the reality of firearm ownership. She trusted you enough to marry you, it shouldn't matter to her if you had a nuclear device under the bed. If she doesn't trust you with a rifle what the hell is she doing living with you.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Yipikaye » 20 Apr 2018, 3:04 pm

My partner was the same. I took a different approach and educated her about firearms safety and now it's ok.

Safe is in a secure location, crooks or kids cannot find it.

She still won't enter the room if I have my guns out but that's probably a good thing.
Last edited by Yipikaye on 20 Apr 2018, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by southwest shooter » 20 Apr 2018, 3:08 pm

FFS .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 20 Apr 2018, 9:16 pm

Reminds me of a saying, "guys choose a wife hoping she won't change, girls choose a husband hoping she can change him"........ Get it sorted or your in trouble mate.........
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by AusTac » 20 Apr 2018, 9:19 pm

bentaz wrote:http://www.divorcelawyer.com.au/

Savage Ben :lol:
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by darwindingo » 20 Apr 2018, 11:44 pm

bentaz wrote:
AusTac wrote:

Yeah, after the divorce he can get a savage, a Winchester, an Enfield and heaps of other guns too!

3.gif
3.gif (89.12 KiB) Viewed 5565 times

:drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 21 Apr 2018, 8:48 am

bentaz wrote:
AusTac wrote:

Yeah, after the divorce he can get a savage, a Winchester, an Enfield and heaps of other guns too!

That's if she leaves him any money... and if he had kids and pays child support then he won't have any money for buying toilet paper let alone guns or ammo
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 21 Apr 2018, 8:59 am

I am divorced and pay child support and i still have a healthy number of firearms in my safe :)
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 21 Apr 2018, 9:52 am

F@#k I'm happy my missus is a shooter!!
Best of luck with it !! :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Apr 2018, 11:22 am

Yeah, educate her and if that doesn't work buy a shed/man cave. Use the cave to make more ammo and beer. :lol:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 21 Apr 2018, 3:02 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Yeah, educate her and if that doesn't work buy a shed/man cave. Use the cave to make more ammo and beer. :lol:

very good advise wisdom comes with age :lol: :lol: ,
you have to remember it does not matter how much your wife thinks she has the rains in your marriage it is an equal partnership meaning that you are entitled to your hobbies as well as she does, I think she needs to compromise, obviously you would do it in the right way and having a man shed away from the house IMO would be a good one, you dont need to shove them up her nose that would never work, we all know there are loads of people that have an irrational fear of firearms and we know education is the answer to make firearms a bit more normal to everyone as it should be and was, it doesn't mean they have to like it, firearms are not for everyone and everyone is not for firearms but they need to accept that firearms are not the problem with law abiding firearm owners
hope you can work things out amicably :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Apr 2018, 3:37 pm

As I said earlier, man cave and after a year or two she will come around. She needs to understand that girls do girl things we do boy things. That's just how it is.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 21 Apr 2018, 10:44 pm

bentaz wrote:Buy guns, store elsewhere, spend heaps of time elsewhere playing with guns. Wife complains you're never home, say well if my gunsafe was in the garage I would be home!

or she would say "your never home it's me or the gun's" :huh:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 22 Apr 2018, 1:42 am

Hang on a minute; I’m starting to wonder if this bloke’s missus could be on to something…. :shock:

I’m sure that last night while I was asleep, my guns broke out of the safe in a long planned evil effort to steal my wallet and car and go on a murderous rampage, but luckily they must have changed their minds, because when I woke up everything was the same as when I went to sleep.. :?

Wallet was where I left it.. :?

Car hadn’t moved.. :?

And no one had been harmed… :?

PHEW….. That was lucky… :P (Sorry I couldn't help myself mate :friends: )....

Seriously though mate !....

It may be worth going to a range mate and talking to a female shooter or male shooter that has a missus that either shoots too or is cool with it, about your situation and ask if she/he/they would be willing to help you out…

If so try to organise a time to take the missus down for a range meet or offer to shout any willing participants out to a meal or something somewhere with a combined objective to de-evilise the whole gun thing…

It may sound somewhat extreme but it may work in your favor, especially if a fellow female is on your team (well hopfully).. Certainly worth a try… IMO..

Best of luck… :thumbsup:

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Bent Arrow » 22 Apr 2018, 9:45 am

This same topic came up a few months or so back. There was some solid advice offered then. Try to normalise firearms a little at a time. The Meat eater series and beyond the divide come to mind as mainstream acceptable hunting shows that don't focus on the firearm and killing, but rather the entire experience. Access some of the footage from the recent commonwealth games............
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by albat » 22 Apr 2018, 7:50 pm

Yeah that's a tough situation spike I feel your pain , gold coast has plenty to offer though in extremely secure free storage and free transport ,just phone 1800bandido for a quote :lol: no seriously though you can bolt your safe in the shed and still be legal
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 23 Apr 2018, 6:57 am

albat wrote:Yeah that's a tough situation spike I feel your pain , gold coast has plenty to offer though in extremely secure free storage and free transport ,just phone 1800bandido for a quote :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by geekwithguns » 23 Apr 2018, 11:59 am

Allowing him to shoot and have guns, but not allowing him to register them to their address makes me think shes not against guns but more concerned about having the address flagged or having police enter the house for inspections...
geekwithguns
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by doc » 23 Apr 2018, 2:02 pm

Whatever you choose - make sure that there's enough storage to hold not only your firearms, but her cooking knives as well. Knives kill people too, and if guns are unsafe, then so is half the kitchenware. And I'm sure she won't mind... after all if someone has an issue with knives like she has with guns, it's only fair...

But stupidity aside - I don't believe that the guns are more important than your wife, however what she's asking for is not just illogical from both a safety or cost perspective - if it's something that she can't overcome then I fear there's a lot more deeper issues than just the location of storing firearms ahead with your relationship.

My suggestion is not to treat it as a you vs her issue - it's you as a couple vs some illogical fear that's trying to creep in between you two - help her through this rather than fight against her with it to come to a good outcome.

I love the suggestion above about taking her to a range, and getting her to understand guns. Not in a way of trying to 'win her over' as a gun lover, but just so she can have a greater understanding. (The liking them will probably happen all by itself ;) )

My guess is that if you do choose to go down the path of simply 'rolling over' to this illogical demand - you need to be prepared to give up a lot more later on as well.
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Antie » 23 Apr 2018, 3:57 pm

geekwithguns wrote:Allowing him to shoot and have guns, but not allowing him to register them to their address makes me think shes not against guns but more concerned about having the address flagged or having police enter the house for inspections...

I think you misread something there mate.

No mention of not wanting them registered to their address.

She doesn't want guns stored in the house.
Antie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Next

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment