Key Cutting

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Key Cutting

Post by Rider888 » 21 Apr 2018, 2:58 pm

Does anyone know if I can take the keys to my safe and get them cut at a locksmith store or do I have to go back to the manufacturer and pay them mega bucks for keys?
Cheers
Rider888
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Key Cutting

Post by bladeracer » 21 Apr 2018, 4:02 pm

Rider888 wrote:Does anyone know if I can take the keys to my safe and get them cut at a locksmith store or do I have to go back to the manufacturer and pay them mega bucks for keys?
Cheers

As long as the locksmith knows you he shouldn't mind cutting them, if he can get the blanks.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 21 Apr 2018, 5:11 pm

If he knows you or not doesn't matter. If the key is marked as restricted/ do not copy does, they have to be cut by the original supplier, with authorization by the listed owner.
In theory anyway. Its just metal, anyone could make one from scratch really.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 21 Apr 2018, 5:33 pm

Wombat wrote:If he knows you or not doesn't matter. If the key is marked as restricted/ do not copy does, they have to be cut by the original supplier, with authorization by the listed owner.

What law requires that?
I've had keys cut that are stamped "DO NOT DUPLICATE". They're my keys and if I want copies of them I will.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 21 Apr 2018, 6:42 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Wombat wrote:If he knows you or not doesn't matter. If the key is marked as restricted/ do not copy does, they have to be cut by the original supplier, with authorization by the listed owner.

What law requires that?
I've had keys cut that are stamped "DO NOT DUPLICATE". They're my keys and if I want copies of them I will.

No law at all, just convention. If you doubt it try getting one of them cut. I have.
Just checked my bunch of site keys, some are copyrighted, some are trademarked, some are patented and some are marked bcc or system in addition to do not copy. Then there's the Rivers keys which are another saga altogether.
My personal safe keys are only numbered with no restriction on them. If you had a Chubb it'd be a different story.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment