Decent spotlight control handle

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Decent spotlight control handle

Post by Roo farmer » 09 May 2018, 8:04 am

Does anybody know of a decent spotlight control handle?

I have a Powabeam and a Lightforce. Neither of them are much good. The Lightforce is quite flimsy but hasn't broken yet. The Powabeam is quite sturdy but probably slightly worse to use than the Lightforce.

They both work loose while you are using them, and so then when you stop and go to lock them to hold the light to take a shot they sometimes need several turns to get them tight. Plus, if you tighten it without holding the handle the light turns and goes off target, then you turn the light to get back on target and it loosens it again. Or, if you have it adjusted up firm enough to hold the light at all times without having to lock it each time, it's too stiff and you get a sore arm.

It shouldn't be so hard for a maunfacturer to make some sort of quick locking mechanism.

I don't want a switch on the handle or any wires, so that doesn't bother me.

Any suggestions?
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: Decent spotlight control handle

Post by Bent Arrow » 09 May 2018, 8:30 am

I used to have a light force handle in my cruiser, never had that problem. Have you tried putting a bit of Teflon tape on the thread?
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Rod_outbak » 09 May 2018, 8:34 am

Only other 2 brands I can see are Blaza Light, and Max-Lume.

https://www.thebarn.net.au/categories/Blazalight/4178
http://www.protactical.com.au/browse-pr ... ccessories

Blaza seems to make 3 or 4 different remotes; not sure if any come without the switches, and most are around the $170 mark.

The Max-Lume makes a few with switches and one without(~$85).

I cant see if either make any sort of quick-lock system, aside from having the friction nut dialled in enough to keep the light from moving?

Blaza seem to make some models with a detachable/foldable handle, and some without.

I think I've had a Blaza remote, but cant recall how durable it was. Certainly heavier made than the Lightforce POS, but I'm pretty sure both my remotes are now Powa-Beam (spares stocked in LGS).

Good luck on the search.

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bruiser64 » 09 May 2018, 8:20 pm

I have the Powabeam handle and from memory it has either an 8mm or 10mm. Which means you could make your own handle and shaft utilising a length of threaded rod fro Bunnings as a the handle shaft. I agree that the standard handle attachment is a potential weakness. So making your own handle and shaft should allow you to overcome that. Which is what l intend doing when I can be bothered. In my experience where the handle attaches to the shaft is the weak point of the design.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Roo farmer » 10 May 2018, 7:24 am

Bent Arrow wrote:I used to have a light force handle in my cruiser, never had that problem. Have you tried putting a bit of Teflon tape on the thread?

Yeah I have tried that, it just ended up all bunched up which would bind up the thread when you loosen and tighten it.
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Roo farmer » 10 May 2018, 7:30 am

Rod_outbak wrote:Only other 2 brands I can see are Blaza Light, and Max-Lume.

The Max-Lume makes a few with switches and one without(~$85).

I cant see if either make any sort of quick-lock system, aside from having the friction nut dialled in enough to keep the light from moving?

I had never heard of Max-Lume before, looks pretty much like a copy of Powabeam to me?

Yes of course you can dial the friction nut up enough to hold the light firm, but at that level of tightness it is way too stiff for several hours of use, gives you a sore arm, and wears out the nylon bushes.
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Rod_outbak » 10 May 2018, 9:22 pm

I have NO experience with Max-Lume; I just did as you asked, and searched around and found you a couple of other possible brands to look at.

Maybe you'll have to consider fabricating something.

I've seen friction-lock ball heads on video tripod mounting gear (Manfrotto being one example), but there would be some creative work getting that sort of lock operating on a shooting spotlight.

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment