Ruger Precision Rifle .308W P-MAG problems..

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Ruger Precision Rifle .308W P-MAG problems..

Post by Rod_outbak » 23 May 2018, 2:01 pm

I had a shooting mate visit this morning. He has a RPR in .223.

I mentioned the cold weather(~7 degrees at sunrise) seems to make the RPR hard to pull the bolt back, and he looks confused.
His rifle was a bit stiff when new, and has loosened up with use.
He picks mine up(mag is full), and tries to pull the bolt back, and it takes a lot of effort.
Even 2 rounds in the mag is sufficient to make the bolt hard to pull back.

He initially wondered if the bolt wasnt lubed, but I explained that around every 50 rounds, in addition to a clean, I remove the bolt, and swab the chamber out repeatedly with those cotton chamber swabs, then clean the bolt, and then lightly grease all wearing surfaces with bolt grease.

So we dump all of the rounds out of the mag, and the bolts comes back easily.

Looking at it a bit further, we note the lips on the Ruger-supplied P-Mags are deforming when the mag-follower is putting any pressure on them (when there are rounds in the mag), and causing the lips to splay out and up, and so fouling the bolt.
These mags are just on 6 months old, and havent been left in a hot car or anywhere they could be exposed to excessive heat.
See attached image.
The Ruger P-Mag is on the left, and if you look down beside the shoulder on the RH side, you can see a score mark where the bolt is dragging across the lip.
The P-Mag on the right is an MDT-TAC P-Mag, and much stiffer lips, due to the single stack feed.
The AI metal mags, and the MDT-TAC P-Mags, all work perfectly.
However, in just 6 months, the RPR mags are pretty much stuffed.
My intial bright idea was to lightly sand the lips where they are fouling the bolt, but then we realised that 'give in the design of the lips will keep it happening until I run out of lip to sand away!

My mate was really surprised, and hadnt seen the same on his .223 mags.

I do keep my mags full most of the time, but havent seen any warnings against this, and it isnt the springs that are losing tension!.
Given I use my RPR a couple of times most days, they get a fair amount of use.
However, I'm not impressed with how quickly they've become junk..
Attachments
DSC_1456 (2) - Copy.JPG
DSC_1456 (2) - Copy.JPG (707.51 KiB) Viewed 2840 times
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Ruger Precision Rifle .308W P-MAG problems..

Post by sungazer » 23 May 2018, 2:05 pm

I know I wish my MDT stock could take the AICS steel mags rather than the polymer fancy word for plastic mags.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Rod_outbak » 23 May 2018, 2:22 pm

Which MDT stock is that? My TAC-21 chassis was supplied with 2 steel 10-shot mags, and I ended up buying 2 5-shot steel, and 2 10-shot poly mags.

Of all of them I use the 5-shot mags the most; they dont stick out much at all.

Interesting to note that despite the Ruger P-Mag being double-stack, it doesnt stand any shorter than the MDT single-stack mag. If the MDT P-Mag was as easy to load as the Ruger mag, I'd use them exclusively.
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 23 May 2018, 3:18 pm

Its the LSS-XL G1 but for a Howa. I knew before I bought it so cant winge but only wish, as I could have used the same mags that I use for the 308 being a 6.5c
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Rod_outbak » 23 May 2018, 4:39 pm

Addendum: Turns out I was supplied with MagPul P-mags, and not Ruger P-mags.

Apparently, some people got supplied with Magpul, and some Ruger.

Local Gun Shop (where I bought it) is getting onto the supplier to ask about it; he's also NOT impressed.
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 23 May 2018, 5:46 pm

Hmm I wonder what I got supplied with as I did notice similar. Ie it's easier to close the bolt when no mag... compared to when I have mag with a couple of bullets.

Any chance you can share a size picture of your mag... or know how to tell what I have
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Rod_outbak » 23 May 2018, 6:09 pm

Ziad,

My Local Gun Shop tells me the genuine Ruger mags have a big Ruger logo on the side of them.
The MagPul mags have their name in 'too-small-for-my-tired-eyes' on one side; about 2 inches down from the top of the mag.

I cant really give you a size comparison photo with a genuine Ruger mag; it seems I dont have any!

Cheers,

Rod.
Attachments
DSC_1460 (2).JPG
DSC_1460 (2).JPG (1.04 MiB) Viewed 2794 times
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 24 May 2018, 11:16 am

Thanks mate mine is exactly like that. So either ruger or noia here are swapping the mags. Can you please keep us in the loop as top what your lgs do regarding the mag.

I noticed mine being hard to cycle the bolt as well. The mags are always empty. Only sent about 80 rounds through the gun though
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 24 May 2018, 11:50 am

When you read the Magpul site they give all the info on how good the mags are and how well they feed ect. However I have found that on the 223 mag I have it often gets stuck at the front not feeding horizontally up and it needs a push to unstick it and get the rounds horizontal again.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment