Gun Safe - Bigger is better

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Gun Safe - Bigger is better

Post by bronco93 » 31 May 2018, 7:37 pm

Well after upsizing safes 3 times, I am onto my 4th safe. Went all out and picked up my 36 gun safe after a long 10 week wait. Moral of the story- buy bigger than what you think you'll need.
Dozen 22lr .22WMR .22WRF .22hornet .223 .310 .303 .243 .30-30 20g 12g .410 32-20 .357 and a couple .58 muzzle loaders
bronco93
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Gun Safe - Bigger is better

Post by bladeracer » 31 May 2018, 8:35 pm

bronco93 wrote:Well after upsizing safes 3 times, I am onto my 4th safe. Went all out and picked up my 36 gun safe after a long 10 week wait. Moral of the story- buy bigger than what you think you'll need.

I figure there is no single safe big enough, so I just keep adding more safes :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 31 May 2018, 11:38 pm

I'm at the point where I need a safe I can live in :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Jun 2018, 5:29 am

"Yup me too, plus I figure its harder for someone to break into multiple safes. :drinks:"

Good point. :thumbsup:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wylie27 » 01 Jun 2018, 7:44 am

brett1868 wrote:I'm at the point where I need a safe I can live in :)

you need a strong room.. Ohh and a bigger garage.. or maybe move into the garage and use the house as a strong room
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bronco93 » 01 Jun 2018, 2:17 pm

If I was single I would be turning a spare bedroom into one big safe. My gf was not impressed with how much space the new safe takes up hahah
Dozen 22lr .22WMR .22WRF .22hornet .223 .310 .303 .243 .30-30 20g 12g .410 32-20 .357 and a couple .58 muzzle loaders
bronco93
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Stix » 01 Jun 2018, 4:24 pm

bentaz wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
bronco93 wrote:Well after upsizing safes 3 times, I am onto my 4th safe. Went all out and picked up my 36 gun safe after a long 10 week wait. Moral of the story- buy bigger than what you think you'll need.

I figure there is no single safe big enough, so I just keep adding more safes :-)

Yup me too, plus I figure its harder for someone to break into multiple safes. :drinks:

Ditto
Ditto ... :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Jun 2018, 8:25 am

bronco93 wrote:If I was single I would be turning a spare bedroom into one big safe. My gf was not impressed with how much space the new safe takes up hahah

And her wardrobe is tiny, right :allegedly:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Jun 2018, 7:16 pm

bronco93 wrote:If I was single I would be turning a spare bedroom into one big safe. My gf was not impressed with how much space the new safe takes up hahah

So what's stopping you,,,,,,,,,, (being single that is)

Ten reasons why gun/s are better than a woman.

10) You can trade an old .44 for a new .22 and even get money back.

9) You can keep one gun at home and have another for when your on the road.

8) If you admire a friends gun and tell him so, he'll probly let you try it out.

7) Your first gun doesn't mind if you get another one for backup.

6) Your gun/s will stay with you even if you run out of ammo.

5) A single gun doesn't take up much closet space.

4) Guns function normally every day of the month.

3) A gun doesn't ask, "Do these new grips make me look fat" ?

2) Guns don't mind if you fall asleep after using them.

And the number ONE reason is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

1) You can make a silencer for a gun.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by gunnnie » 16 Jun 2018, 7:54 pm

After adding yet anotherr safe, I thought stuff it & got a 2T bank safe. That fits the bill but then i thought well why not get another big secure unit. Then I can get rid of the smaller safes & just have the two. Takes up less space than the four other small safes, so more room to set up my gunroom better.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 16 Jun 2018, 9:52 pm

gunnnie wrote:After adding yet anotherr safe, I thought stuff it & got a 2T bank safe. That fits the bill but then i thought well why not get another big secure unit. Then I can get rid of the smaller safes & just have the two. Takes up less space than the four other small safes, so more room to set up my gunroom better.

Must be tons of fun trying to get a two-ton safe into a house!
I prefer lots of smaller safes. It lets me keep different groups separate - hunting rifles, .22's, Milsurps, etc.
Ammunition storage is a bigger problem for me just now.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 16 Jun 2018, 11:06 pm

bladeracer wrote:
gunnnie wrote:After adding yet anotherr safe, I thought stuff it & got a 2T bank safe. That fits the bill but then i thought well why not get another big secure unit. Then I can get rid of the smaller safes & just have the two. Takes up less space than the four other small safes, so more room to set up my gunroom better.

Must be tons of fun trying to get a two-ton safe into a house!
I prefer lots of smaller safes. It lets me keep different groups separate - hunting rifles, .22's, Milsurps, etc.
Ammunition storage is a bigger problem for me just now.

Well you obviously dont shoot very many rounds off often enough...!!! :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 16 Jun 2018, 11:41 pm

Stix wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Ammunition storage is a bigger problem for me just now.

Well you obviously dont shoot very many rounds off often enough...!!! :lol:

Absolutely true!
But every time I shoot them I find that I have to reload them again :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 16 Jun 2018, 11:46 pm

I did a bit of a stocktake this week, I have over 15,000 bullets from .204 to .45, plus 12-gauge slugs.
That's about 100kg on one shelf.
I should try to weigh how much live ammo I have!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 17 Jun 2018, 6:39 am

Yep that's prudent advice mate. Wished I had read it a few years back. I think that by the time you add scopes, most safes will comfortably fit about 2/3 of what they're advertised to hold.
Funny how you seem to accrue a few little extra toys along the way that you hadn't anticipated needing. :D
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 18 Jun 2018, 8:03 am

There is no such thing as a gun safe that is too big.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by gunnnie » 18 Jun 2018, 1:13 pm

Moved it using a forklift to get it onto a heavy duty trailer. Had to take door off first & that was done using a 2.5T engine hoist. Once i got it all home then had to get hoist off, assemble hoist, lift safe off & place on blocks so I can get a 2.4T pallet truck under it. Then lift off door & re-fit it to the safe body. All done on my pat-malone! What a prick of an exercise!
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 18 Jun 2018, 3:16 pm

gunnnie wrote:Moved it using a forklift to get it onto a heavy duty trailer. Had to take door off first & that was done using a 2.5T engine hoist. Once i got it all home then had to get hoist off, assemble hoist, lift safe off & place on blocks so I can get a 2.4T pallet truck under it. Then lift off door & re-fit it to the safe body. All done on my pat-malone! What a prick of an exercise!

Sounds like it was a mission and a half, which is why, when the need has arisen, I just add another one, smaller ones are easier to move, the last one, I made myself to be hidden in a wardrobe, for a couple of reasonably easy and quick to access firearms, the main one, amo safe and others are in a strong room type area and take a bit of getting into.
Member-Deleted

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment