Update to Forest Explorer

Game and varmint hunting. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Culling, hunting feral animals and vertebrate pest control.

Update to Forest Explorer

Post by FlyingStick » 14 Jun 2017, 12:27 pm

Hi All,

I noticed a week or so ago an announcement on Forest Explorer that they were planning a migration activity to a new platform that would potentially bring new features and capabilities. Being in IT, I was doubtful of their promises and timelines however to my delight noticed today that the new platform is up and running (albeit slow).

Apparently this new platform incorporates a number of mapping platforms, one of them being the forest explorer. However, the best of it all is - it seems to work on Mobile devices! It's a little clunky and the use of screen real estate is a bit off/clunky, however I look forward to using this when I am on foot in state forests to check where I am (There seems to be capability to use location services but isn't working - however wouldn't be too hard to figure out using google maps and this tool... will be brilliant if they can get it working!!!)

Head over to http://mapshare.maps.vic.gov.au/ and have a look! It's the first link/icon (MapShareVic).

I have no affiliation to this project - just pointing it out to fellow hunters and campers.

Cheers.
FlyingStick
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Update to Forest Explorer

Post by Wombat » 14 Jun 2017, 8:48 pm

Thanks for the link. Its a fantastic resource, I just wish they'd stop moving and changing it.
Wombat
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 23 Jun 2017, 9:57 am

Wombat wrote:I just wish they'd stop moving and changing it.

I've lost track of how many times they've re-allocated, merged, or changed the body responsible for the forestry in VIC.

5 times in the last few years it's been hand-balled to someone else and turned upside down :unknown:
VICHunter
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 01 Jul 2017, 5:43 pm

How do you find State forests?
rsj223
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 01 Jul 2017, 8:15 pm

I cant even open the site anymore.
Wombat
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by rsj223 » 01 Jul 2017, 9:42 pm

Wombat wrote:I cant even open the site anymore.

It is very slow to open
rsj223
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 02 Jul 2017, 8:50 pm

Not slow - Impossible with the version of Firefox I'm running.
Wombat
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 17 Jul 2017, 3:41 pm

Has anyone actually had success using this new tool? The site opens... but I cant get any of the useful data that the old site had...even something as simply identifying what sort of land something is...
This'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Rocker » 17 Jul 2017, 4:55 pm

I'm just getting some loading/welcome page on Chrome too.

Can't see no maps.
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by YoungBuck » 17 Jul 2017, 7:14 pm

Loads fine for me in both browsers, does take several seconds though. If you have an older machine done be surprised if it takes up to 30 secs.
This'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 17 Jul 2017, 9:49 pm

Got it to open. Took a minute or two.
Wombat
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and varminting