Tips for hunting feral dogs.

Game and varmint hunting. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Culling, hunting feral animals and vertebrate pest control.

Re: Tips for hunting feral dogs.

Post by Stix » 14 Nov 2017, 10:24 pm

grandadbushy wrote:GEEZ Stix that pic brings home the old saying of '' Always try and keep an open mind ''

Lol...
It was a dedicated night on the foxes for the farmer, so he drove so i could do my thing to max effect...
He insisted i stay in the back of the ute while he picked them all up...
It was funny to hear a farmer, who slaughters his own beasts for meat, say "eewww, its brain just fell out"...(& it did, when it fell out it sounded like a wet sponge from washing the car hit the dirt).

It was me old 250 with a 50gr bt @3600fps...
Even at 200 yds with earplugs, when you hit the head they sound like a tennis ball popping from too much pressure....technically overkill, but instant, emphatic & humane kills.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Captain
Captain

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 15 Nov 2017, 4:32 am

better to have overkill than underkill hey ? heard 22-250 shoots like a laser beam , dead flat. what's the make of your old 250 stix, what power scope and what range do you sight in for ?
bigrich
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 15 Nov 2017, 6:40 am

Hey bigrich, old 22-250 is a remington.
Scope is 5-25x50.
Sight in around 200yds.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Captain
Captain

South Australia

Post by grandadbushy » 15 Nov 2017, 1:47 pm

22-250 can be a lazer but beware wind can play a little havoc out past 200 yards with the lighter projectiles but you
will get used to that as you get used to the rifle
grandadbushy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 15 Nov 2017, 4:09 pm

yeh well maybe that's something for me to remember grandadbushy. get real familiar with your rifle and know it's limits and capabilities. having a couple of rifles you know well is probably better than having lots of toys your not using as often. i will probably buy and sell a few before i'm comfortable with what i got. i know now but i wont ever part with my model 70 and m96 6.5's. been refering to chuck hawks "rifle battery "articles a bit to get a rational view of things. i like stix idea of having a few mistresses under lock and key but .lol. what's your old rem stix, a 700 ? ya set it up with a bull barrel or just got a easy to carry quick to point sporter barrel ? good to know you wear earplugs to stix. went to a gun show at ipswich a couple of weeks ago and just about had to yell at one bloke who was selling some stuff.ha ha
bigrich
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 15 Nov 2017, 4:13 pm

getting of subject but, my mate in tenterfeild has issues with feral dogs. reckons their real smart and out of sight before he can get a shot off. any ideas guys ? whistle them in ? lay down some offal to give them a scent to come in on ?
bigrich
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by grandadbushy » 15 Nov 2017, 4:38 pm

Many things can bring them in Bigrich if you go back through the forum you will get a lot of good information from many people
But a quick good one is lay a carcass out and sit on it afternoon and early morning don't let them scent you or see you sit back a
couple of hundred yards and a good rest
grandadbushy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 15 Nov 2017, 5:37 pm

+1 Grandadbrushy, re carcass, or even road kill will do, just drag it/them into a location and position that gives you a clear shot from cover and stake the carcasses down.. The shooter might have to camp out a few nights too. Could also try a few traps around the area too. A spotlight and or N.V,. gear will help too.
If the dogs have been under pressure they can hear the click of a door or safety from miles away and are gone in a flash.
Good luck.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 15 Nov 2017, 6:25 pm

thanks for the advice fellas, hopin' in a week or two i'll put it into action. gunna have to find a factory load for my 6.5 with quick expanding bullets for light game. heard PPU 139 grain aren't too bad . any ideas ?
bigrich
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by grandadbushy » 21 Nov 2017, 1:19 am

Here ya go another one not much left ear left there must have had a toweling from another dog at some stage looks like
Doberman x judging by the build and shape of the legs its quiet tall with narrow jaw line
Or could be a bit of grey hound either way it days of breeding are over :thumbsup:
Attachments
IMG_4534.JPG
IMG_4534.JPG (1023.79 KiB) Viewed 568 times
grandadbushy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 21 Nov 2017, 9:32 am

My mate uses a 270win. with 130-140gr SP and they do the job pretty well, so the PPU 139 should go OK too. Any HPs available in the 6.5?
RoginaJack
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 21 Nov 2017, 5:47 pm

good job on the feral mate, mate of mine was showing me pics of sheep that had to be put down cause of a dog pack.freakin heartbreaking for the bloke who owned them. don't know of any hollow points for 6.5. got a good deal on norma 156 gr vulcans. big soft point, but probably go straight through without much expansion. might do what i used to do with old millitary ammo and put a shallow x cut across the tip. thinking of getting a 22-250. old german made krico with a great trigger. any opinions ?
bigrich
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by nightforcenxs » 21 Nov 2017, 6:58 pm

bigrich wrote:good job on the feral mate, mate of mine was showing me pics of sheep that had to be put down cause of a dog pack.freakin heartbreaking for the bloke who owned them. don't know of any hollow points for 6.5. got a good deal on norma 156 gr vulcans. big soft point, but probably go straight through without much expansion. might do what i used to do with old millitary ammo and put a shallow x cut across the tip. thinking of getting a 22-250. old german made krico with a great trigger. any opinions ?

have you had a look at the sierra gameking in 130gr hpbt there designed for hunting or sierra varminter 100gr hp flat base
nightforcenxs
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 21 Nov 2017, 8:38 pm

A 22-250 Krico, now you're talkin, flat shooting hard hitting! Should clean up the foxes, cats and rabbits too. :clap: :clap:
RoginaJack
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 21 Nov 2017, 9:44 pm

not a reloader yet nightforcenxs, factory loads at the moment. just got back into this after a loooong break yeh i love old german/ european guns RJ, got a early krico in 22 hornet with a new varmit barrel, and a pta on a zkm 465 brno hornet.. thinkin the 22-250 krico would be a nice addition for my collection. fella called stix on this forum was talking about 22-250 and red mist effect. . i know my 6.5 would do it all , making excuses for getting another old rifle. lol
bigrich
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by grandadbushy » 21 Nov 2017, 9:51 pm

YEP you are right RoginaJack lethal on dog size pests and explosive on smaller pests
Work up a good reload and you won't regret buying a 22-250 if you do your part
grandadbushy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 03 Dec 2017, 6:48 am

well fellas, after much mental debate ,and a bit of saving, i bought my krico 22-250 feral mutt exterminating machine. bewdifull piece of old school german engineering.hogs back walnut stock with schnabell forend, mauser style action with jewelled bolt, all metal three shot removable mag , has a full on adjustable trigger as well. it may need re barrelling, has pitting in the barrel. just gunna scope it and see how it shoots first but. now my question is, as flexable as 22-250 is, if i have to rebarrel. i have the option of stepping up to 243. did my research, and 243 rounds fit in the mag and action length no worries, and it was a optional caliber in this rifle. any veiws or opinions ? cheers
bigrich
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 03 Dec 2017, 7:49 am

bigrich wrote:well fellas, after much mental debate ,and a bit of saving, i bought my krico 22-250 feral mutt exterminating machine. bewdifull piece of old school german engineering.hogs back walnut stock with schnabell forend, mauser style action with jewelled bolt, all metal three shot removable mag , has a full on adjustable trigger as well. it may need re barrelling, has pitting in the barrel. just gunna scope it and see how it shoots first but. now my question is, as flexable as 22-250 is, if i have to rebarrel. i have the option of stepping up to 243. did my research, and 243 rounds fit in the mag and action length no worries, and it was a optional caliber in this rifle. any veiws or opinions ? cheers

I love my.243 mod 70!. Like you I only shoot factory and there are rounds for just about anything. From light fifty gr through to heavier 100+gr. My go to rounds are 90gr ppu at 30 bucks a box(might be cheaper down your way) they leave a little bit of sh@t in the barrel but ya gotta clean it anyway!!! :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and varminting