Tips for hunting feral dogs.

Game and varmint hunting. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Culling, hunting feral animals and vertebrate pest control.

Re: Tips for hunting feral dogs.

Post by Stix » 14 Nov 2017, 10:24 pm

grandadbushy wrote:GEEZ Stix that pic brings home the old saying of '' Always try and keep an open mind ''

Lol...
It was a dedicated night on the foxes for the farmer, so he drove so i could do my thing to max effect...
He insisted i stay in the back of the ute while he picked them all up...
It was funny to hear a farmer, who slaughters his own beasts for meat, say "eewww, its brain just fell out"...(& it did, when it fell out it sounded like a wet sponge from washing the car hit the dirt).

It was me old 250 with a 50gr bt @3600fps...
Even at 200 yds with earplugs, when you hit the head they sound like a tennis ball popping from too much pressure....technically overkill, but instant, emphatic & humane kills.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 15 Nov 2017, 4:32 am

better to have overkill than underkill hey ? heard 22-250 shoots like a laser beam , dead flat. what's the make of your old 250 stix, what power scope and what range do you sight in for ?
bigrich
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Stix » 15 Nov 2017, 6:40 am

Hey bigrich, old 22-250 is a remington.
Scope is 5-25x50.
Sight in around 200yds.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by grandadbushy » 15 Nov 2017, 1:47 pm

22-250 can be a lazer but beware wind can play a little havoc out past 200 yards with the lighter projectiles but you
will get used to that as you get used to the rifle
grandadbushy
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 15 Nov 2017, 4:09 pm

yeh well maybe that's something for me to remember grandadbushy. get real familiar with your rifle and know it's limits and capabilities. having a couple of rifles you know well is probably better than having lots of toys your not using as often. i will probably buy and sell a few before i'm comfortable with what i got. i know now but i wont ever part with my model 70 and m96 6.5's. been refering to chuck hawks "rifle battery "articles a bit to get a rational view of things. i like stix idea of having a few mistresses under lock and key but .lol. what's your old rem stix, a 700 ? ya set it up with a bull barrel or just got a easy to carry quick to point sporter barrel ? good to know you wear earplugs to stix. went to a gun show at ipswich a couple of weeks ago and just about had to yell at one bloke who was selling some stuff.ha ha
bigrich
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 15 Nov 2017, 4:13 pm

getting of subject but, my mate in tenterfeild has issues with feral dogs. reckons their real smart and out of sight before he can get a shot off. any ideas guys ? whistle them in ? lay down some offal to give them a scent to come in on ?
bigrich
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by grandadbushy » 15 Nov 2017, 4:38 pm

Many things can bring them in Bigrich if you go back through the forum you will get a lot of good information from many people
But a quick good one is lay a carcass out and sit on it afternoon and early morning don't let them scent you or see you sit back a
couple of hundred yards and a good rest
grandadbushy
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 15 Nov 2017, 5:37 pm

+1 Grandadbrushy, re carcass, or even road kill will do, just drag it/them into a location and position that gives you a clear shot from cover and stake the carcasses down.. The shooter might have to camp out a few nights too. Could also try a few traps around the area too. A spotlight and or N.V,. gear will help too.
If the dogs have been under pressure they can hear the click of a door or safety from miles away and are gone in a flash.
Good luck.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 15 Nov 2017, 6:25 pm

thanks for the advice fellas, hopin' in a week or two i'll put it into action. gunna have to find a factory load for my 6.5 with quick expanding bullets for light game. heard PPU 139 grain aren't too bad . any ideas ?
bigrich
Private
Private

Queensland

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and varminting