Melbourne South West Hare

Game and varmint hunting. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Culling, hunting feral animals and vertebrate pest control.

Melbourne South West Hare

Post by drbolsen » 03 Dec 2017, 10:16 pm

Quick trip this arvo to check a new place resulted well.

IMG_0730.JPG
IMG_0730.JPG (216.08 KiB) Viewed 200 times

IMG_0729.JPG
IMG_0729.JPG (207.76 KiB) Viewed 200 times
drbolsen
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Melbourne South West Hare

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 03 Dec 2017, 10:30 pm

Looks like a dmall dog :drinks: :sarcasm:
Why So Serious?
Sako Varmint stainless 243
Marlin 917v stainless
Lithgow la101 22
BSA 1917 303 (ted)
Finnish Vkt M39
Tikka T3X Super Varmint Satinless 223
Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70
AZZA'S HJ47
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by drbolsen » 03 Dec 2017, 10:44 pm

Yep or spring lamb, lol, quite heavy, reckon about 6-8 kilos each. Needed to make 2 trips to the car.
drbolsen
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 04 Dec 2017, 10:09 am

For the pot?

I used to live with a lovely lady, English actually and she was mad about "Jugged Hare"; a bit strong for me but when the lovely lady asked, I delivered.

Being English, had strange food requests; like before breakfast, she often asked if I'd like "a bit of crumpet first" when she knew I always had toast and vegemite.

Weird eh? :lol: :lol: :roll:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by YoungBuck » 07 Dec 2017, 1:00 pm

Nice mate. They are indeed a strange looking creature, their legs are just so out of proportion.
I'll be taking a rifle to my relatives place in country Vic this xmas for a few days, they have 650 acres so hopefully I'll get a few myself :)
This'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by marksman » 07 Dec 2017, 1:14 pm

the trick with jugged hare is to prepare it right, as told to me from an elderly german woman who ate it
first you get a bit of wire, tie the wire around the hares neck, then attach the wire to a tree branch
you have to watch the hare carefully for a couple of days waiting for the body to stretch off the neck
when this happens check how green the flesh is, if very ripe cook
beautiful hmmmmm better than bigfella's southern fried rabbit :allegedly:
I used to give her hare but would not have a go at it myself
marksman
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 07 Dec 2017, 1:40 pm

Sounds like it might work in a German winter not so sure about an Australian summer. :)
sungazer
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 07 Dec 2017, 3:09 pm

Yeah, mate I couldn't come at it but she loved it; couldn't get enough, loved a big one, more flavour (?)... :D
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 07 Dec 2017, 4:26 pm

sungazer wrote:Sounds like it might work in a German winter not so sure about an Australian summer. :)

na mate that's how she prepared the hares in Australia, gotta have green meat slurrrrrp :drinks:
marksman
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 07 Dec 2017, 4:57 pm

I certainly understand the process thats why we hang meat to let the little buggers let it rot a little. But thats at 4 deg c and no flies. Only a few minuets this time of year and you have maggots. Not my idea cup of tea.
sungazer
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by grandadbushy » 07 Dec 2017, 8:13 pm

I worked with an old stock man once who used to hang his meat on a branch away from dogs he would wrap a hessian bag
around it and wet the bag every 3-4 hours he would pick the shadiest tree and put grease on the string the meat was hung on to
stop the ants from getting on the meat
This meat hung there for 3 to 6 days and amazingly enough it didn't smell like rotten meat more of a strong salami smell
Did I taste it yes but only up to 3 days but it was good didn't have any foul tastes at all
Didn't have the guts to go the extra mile to 6 days but now I wish I had
grandadbushy
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 07 Dec 2017, 8:18 pm

I know my grandparents only had a old style cooler same sort of thing metal or wooden box with holes and hessian over that with water on it. They survived until electricity got to them and they had enough money to buy a fridge.
sungazer
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by grandadbushy » 07 Dec 2017, 8:30 pm

Maybe we are just too spoiled and loosing the art of how to live without the mod cons
grandadbushy
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by darwindingo » 07 Dec 2017, 8:40 pm

sungazer wrote:I know my grandparents only had a old style cooler same sort of thing metal or wooden box with holes and hessian over that with water on it. They survived until electricity got to them and they had enough money to buy a fridge.

AKA... The Coolgardie... Good way to keep game accumulated over a couple of days hunting trip, keeps the fly's off and helps keep it cool, just like how an evaporitive ac works... :thumbsup:

I've been meaning to build a Crosley Icyball for camping... :thumbsup:

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by marksman » 08 Dec 2017, 10:13 am

grandadbushy wrote:Maybe we are just too spoiled and loosing the art of how to live without the mod cons

I agree with you there grandadbushy,
when we have family around for a bbq some are very suspicious of what I am cooking
I have fed them things you cant get from safeway's but didn't tell them till after they have eaten
they even look at the dog bones to try and work out what it is I am cooking up :lol: :lol: :lol:
marksman
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by grandadbushy » 08 Dec 2017, 9:19 pm

Nothing wrong with the element of surprise at a Bar-B-Q Marksman I have used it myself on a few occasions
Went pig shooting with a bloke once and his mrs wouldn't let him go unless she came also so alone she came
She waffled on all the way out to the station about how cruel I was killing poor pigs and eating them
So we got there set up camp got the rump steak out cooked enough for the three of us and ate she commented
this is how the meat should be got from a butcher the proper way no cruelty
So we had a fair weekend then when I was dropping them home I whispered to the bloke '' you know that steak we ate was some roo I shot a couple
of weeks ago you think your mrs would mind if I told her'' then burst out laughing ''But it was absolutely true''
His answer was swift '' you tell her and we may as well leave Australia''
Even so I felt better after she stuffed my weekend
grandadbushy
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and varminting