Snake Report

Game and varmint hunting. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Culling, hunting feral animals and vertebrate pest control.

Re: Snake Report

Post by Growler » 29 Sep 2018, 1:23 pm

This article just came up on the ABC
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-29/l ... 98817630=1
Just the necessity
Growler
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Rod_outbak » 29 Sep 2018, 2:46 pm

Heh,

Not a bad article overall.

I find it ironic that in the section titled "What do you do if you get bitten?", they neglect to write that if it's an Inland Taipan, you may as well turn your phone on to record a 3-minute video will, because you havent got time to do much else...
[Sure as pluck havent got time to be driven anywhere to receive treatment, anyway!]

I lost a young cousin ~10 years back, in Emerald (QLD), to an eastern Brown Bite. He'd just come home from work, and heard a commotion next door. Being a bit of a community-minded young fella (Late 20's), he jumped the fence to assist. turns out it was a Brown snake, and given they had young kids, the owners were a bit fretty.
Andrew helped nab the snake, but got bitten in the process.
After snake was captured, the grateful neighbours raced him to the hospital (with snake), had the correct anti-venom identified, and he was given the treatment. All inside 20 minutes from being bitten.
Afterwards, he was sitting on the bed in the EMT Dept; joking about the whole incident with the neighbours, had a massive heart-attack, and was unable to be revived.
Post-mortem assessment is that there is a small percentage of people who will react badly to the anti-venom, and Andy drew the short straw.
Pretty tragic turn of events.
If it's a reflection of the bloke, at 28 years of age, the 350-seat church was too small for the mourners; stand-room only at the back.
At my 51 years of age, I'd be struggling to expect a third of that many to attend, and most would be to confirm I really was dead!
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Sep 2018, 3:17 pm

Rod_outbak wrote:
At my 51 years of age, I'd be struggling to expect a third of that many to attend, and most would be to confirm I really was dead!

Sh!t Mate,,,,,
I turned the magic 65 last week, and if I fell off my twig and you said you'd come to my send off,,,, that would be 100% more people than I would expect.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sad to hear of the young fellas passing Mate, :thumbsdown:
Last edited by Die Judicii on 30 Sep 2018, 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Pythonkeeper » 30 Sep 2018, 7:57 am

What part of Queensland are you in @Rod_outback? I have a reasonable size breeding colony of Qld locale Stimson’s Pythons (Windorah to be precise) that I’ve been working with for 15 years or more, they are among my favourites out of all the pythons that I keep, beautiful little snakes...

Terrible story about your cousin, happens every now and then unfortunately, can’t win either way when the cure is as deadly as the disease so to speak....sounds as though he was a well liked young man.
Pythonkeeper
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 30 Sep 2018, 11:38 am

About 330kms NE of Windorah; in the Longreach RC area.

Havent seen any Stimsons for about 6 months, but hoping it's just that they've been hibernating.
I'd hate to think this god-awful drought has nailed them as well.
We had 2 or 3 different sizes seen regularly, so I live in hope they are hanging on.
Nearly came to grief last time I had a visit one evening in the living room. The lights arent the best, and when the little tyke slithered out into the middle of the room, I picked the guy up and wandered into the kitchen to show the overseer. As I entered the brighter lights in the kitchen, I realise the freaking head isnt the right shape, and the patterning is slightly wrong. Horrid realisation I was casually holding a De Vies Banded snake, and NOT a Stimsons.
[Not overly venomous, but as I am on blood-thinners at present, not a hospital visit I prefer to take...]

A quick detour to the kitchen door, and Nakey enjoyed impromptu flying lessons into the shrubbery...

I now shine a freaking big torch on Mr Stimsons before picking the guy up (Or get the leather welding gloves..)

We had a ~5ft Black-Headed python around before winter. They are a pretty snake, and he was a regular sight around the house yard at night. We've seen quite a few BH pythons the past few years. I suspect that their numbers have increased since the Cane Toads established themselves, which suggests either Yellow Spotted Goannas, or King Brown snakes, were preying on the BH pythons. Both these two had population crashes as a result of Cane Toads, so I reckon we are seeing more BH pythons as a result.
Thankfully, Mr Stimson doesnt seem to be affected by the Cane Toads, though I expect he struggles with anything much larger than a Desert Tree Frog for a meal...
I always get amused whenever I've shown the Stimsons to one of the large Green Tree Frogs, who lurk out on the ledge beside our coldroom door at night. Mrs Fattycroak would be 4 times the size of young Mr Stimsons, but she still puffs herself up and screams like a banshee to warn him off.
I doubt Mr Stimsons would even fit one of her chubby little arms down his throat, but he's a freaking snake, and thats BAD!

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Sep 2018, 12:15 pm

My mate had another snake in his front yard the other day, not sure what it was as he had customers coming and going when he spotted it and didn't want to alarm them so let it be and it disappeared by the time he had a chance to deal with it, it was probably a copperhead or tiger I would say.
bigfellascott
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

-

Post by Pythonkeeper » 30 Sep 2018, 12:42 pm

I keep BHP’s also, Charters towers variety. Both the Stimson’s and BHP’s are reptile eaters in the wild, they’ll eat anything from skinks and gecko’s to monitor lizards and venomous elapids. You should start to see them again now that it’s heating up, they don’t actually hibernate through the winter, winter through to early spring is their mating season but they generally don’t feed through this period so they won’t be out looking for food. Females will be laying eggs at this time of year through to around November.
Sounds like you live in a great part of the world, I love herping, for those of you who don’t know what herping is, it is kind of like bird watching only you are spotting reptiles. I’ve taken many a long drive to north and western Qld specifically to go herping, allot of the time it involves plenty of driving on isolated country roads of a nighttime into the early hours of the morning, kind of like spotlighting without any shooting involved, or no shooting of firearms anyway, plenty of shots taken with the camera.
Pythonkeeper
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Sep 2018, 8:21 pm

Hey Rod,,,,,,

I know everything is dry at the moment mate,, but in normal times and we are experiencing the opposite,, do you get any long neck turtle in your
stamping grounds ?

If you do, I'd be willing to trade/buy a few off ya.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 30 Sep 2018, 8:33 pm

I think I've only ever seen one turtle here in my whole life, and I reckon he might have been lost. Thats was back in around 2009 or therabouts.
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 30 Sep 2018, 8:44 pm

[quote="Pythonkeeper"]
I keep BHP’s also, Charters towers variety. Both the Stimson’s and BHP’s are reptile eaters in the wild, they’ll eat anything from skinks and gecko’s to monitor lizards and venomous elapids. You should start to see them again now that it’s heating up, they don’t actually hibernate through the winter, winter through to early spring is their mating season but they generally don’t feed through this period so they won’t be out looking for food. Females will be laying eggs at this time of year through to around November.
Sounds like you live in a great part of the world, I love herping, for those of you who don’t know what herping is, it is kind of like bird watching only you are spotting reptiles. I’ve taken many a long drive to north and western Qld specifically to go herping, allot of the time it involves plenty of driving on isolated country roads of a nighttime into the early hours of the morning, kind of like spotlighting without any shooting involved, or no shooting of firearms anyway, plenty of shots taken with the camera.
[/quote]

Pic attached is an evening visitor from January.

Our homestead is situated roughly 250 metres from a creek system, and so when we get heavy rain (if THAT ever happens again...), we get a week or so where the creek crossings are flooded, and no traffic across. The great thing is, there is a few kms of bitumen across the creeks, and 50+kms of dirt roads each side of the bitumen. When the rain gets serious to flood the creeks, we will be cut off from through traffic for over a week. In that time, we usually do evening patrols, as the bitumen is a magnet to the snakes, frogs, dunnarts, birds, gekkos and other animals that go crazy in wet weather. AND, there will also be the odd fox, cat and cane toad to lightly pokk for good measure...
Nothing better than the sound of a big-arse frorgy going on down in the creeks..
Attachments
DSCN1188 (2).JPG
DSCN1188 (2).JPG (1.03 MiB) Viewed 544 times
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Sep 2018, 9:54 pm

Rod_outbak wrote:I think I've only ever seen one turtle here in my whole life, and I reckon he might have been lost. Thats was back in around 2009 or therabouts.

As the Toyota dog said,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, BUGGER.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 01 Oct 2018, 7:57 am

We get plenty of snake necked turtles...but trading in native fauna without the correct permits can have serious penalties especially here in qld where even some spiders and scorpions are protected! :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Pythonkeeper » 01 Oct 2018, 8:21 am

Nice pic of a wild BHP there Rod, they are always a highlight for me, unfortunately I’ve seen far more dead ones in the wild than live....beautiful creatures..
Pythonkeeper
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 01 Oct 2018, 6:12 pm

They grow to a Biiiiig snake! Some of the ones cruising around a few years ago, were freaking huge.

Yep; Cant abide by seeing where people have obviously swerved to hit a BH python.
Drives me crazy.
It's not like you can confuse them for anything else, but why swerve to hit a snake at all??

I remember when I was on the school bus at primary school, and the driver intentionally swerved to nail a carpet snake.
I think I was 8 or 9 at the time, and nearly swung a schoolcase at the freaking nosewipe of a man.
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 02 Oct 2018, 6:37 am

Pythonkeeper,

Attached pic is from a night out spotlighting in 2008. Found this Myall snake having dinner on the main road.
Dinner looks to be an Earless Dragon, so only 2-3 inches long from head to tail.

You'd have to wonder if eating something with so many spikes on it is kinda like humans eating a good curry??

Cheers,

Rod.
Attachments
Snake and Dinner  D40x 23032008 010.JPG
Snake and Dinner D40x 23032008 010.JPG (438.74 KiB) Viewed 495 times
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Pythonkeeper » 02 Oct 2018, 8:31 pm

Yeah the BHP’s get big alright, I’ve got a femal here that tips the scales at a bit under 10 kg lean, magnificent animals.
It is a shame seeing them run over, as you say, allot of the time it is a deliberate act.

Thanks for posting the pics, nature at its best, makes me feel like planning a herping trip.
Pythonkeeper
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 11 Oct 2018, 10:56 pm

'I'm lucky to survive this': Snake catcher nearly strangled to death in 'freak accident'
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-11/s ... n/10364446
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Captain
Captain

New South Wales

Post by Rod_outbak » 12 Oct 2018, 6:01 am

I read that article.

I reckon the snake is cursing in his cage, and saying he was soooo close to not needing another feed for 6 months....
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and varminting