Roo ammo

Game and varmint hunting. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Culling, hunting feral animals and vertebrate pest control.

Re: Roo ammo

Post by HereSkip » 08 Nov 2018, 5:47 am

Die Judicii wrote:
DVC01136.JPG
This one didn't get up to argue or discuss the effectiveness or not.

Just on 220 meter mark.

nice shot :friends:
"To achieve greatness you first must dream it." - Me, just then
HereSkip
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 08 Nov 2018, 6:29 am

I do alot of roo culling and i believe its got to be gamekings not blitzkings. I think if your using 223 it sould always be head/neck shots on big roos, you'll find it won't take long to get bloody good at headshotting them
Kelsey Cooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Nov 2018, 1:17 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
DVC01136.JPG

Just on 220 meter mark.

That's cos it's got a splitting headache :D You should see the damage the Sierra Super Roos do to em, very messy indeed as are the Blitzkings, had quite a few with heads completely gone on em out (50gn BK out of the 222 at 50-80m range) it looked like they were removed surgically :shock:
bigfellascott
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

-

Post by Bruiser64 » 08 Nov 2018, 3:51 pm

Kelsey Cooter wrote:I do alot of roo culling and i believe its got to be gamekings not blitzkings. I think if your using 223 it sould always be head/neck shots on big roos, you'll find it won't take long to get bloody good at headshotting them

I am very happy with the performance of the 40 grain vmaxs in my 204. There is no doubt about the outcome when you headshoot a roo with that little sucker. The 87 grain vmaxs in the 243 are even less ambiguous. I agree with going for the headshots. The more you do it the better you get at judging the shot. I try to get as close as I can.
Bruiser64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Stix » 08 Nov 2018, 8:02 pm

A bunny's head is quite a big target at 100...so my opinion is i dont think you should be shooting roos if you cant hit them in the skull/upper neck part of the head, at what ever range you can/or choose to shoot from.

Die Judicii wrote:
DVC01136.JPG

Just on 220 meter mark.

Hey DJ...curiosity has got the better of me mate...i cant help but ask...what is the paper towel for mate...?...(did you get THAT excited about that shot...? :lol: :thumbsup: )
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Major
Major

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Nov 2018, 5:28 pm

DVC01235.JPG
DVC01235.JPG (424.51 KiB) Viewed 85 times
I know,,,,,,,, I've posted this previously, but this time for those that haven't seen it before,,,,,

It was laying in a hollow sunning itself and only the crown of the head and the ears were visible.
I had lain waiting for quite a while for him to move, but gave up and took the shot.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Nov 2018, 5:36 pm

Stix wrote:
Hey DJ...curiosity has got the better of me mate...i cant help but ask...what is the paper towel for mate...?...(did you get THAT excited about that shot...? :lol: :thumbsup: )

Yeah Mate,,,,, Magazines like cleaner photos,,,,, :lol: Ya gotta think of the children.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 09 Nov 2018, 7:46 pm

HereSkip wrote:
Blr243 wrote:I use v max between the front legs Violent expansion very little chance of any part of the projectile continuing on to hit an unseen cow laying down in the grass I never shoot for the head It means more misses and more misses mean more chance of shooting something else behind the roo

sounds like you couldnt hit water if you fell off a boat

Im packing up the boat right now to take kids fishing in the morning, tripped on the farkin bow rope whilst checking some gauges and I did fall out of the bloody boat - hit the grass...just saying
Tikka T3 .260 - Modified.
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22
Norinco .22
Webley .177
ATA 686 U/O 12g
Baikal S/S 12G
Weatherby Van 30-06(deceased - in the market for a replacement)
TassieTiger
Private
Private

Tasmania

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and varminting