Pine forest hunt

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Pine forest hunt

Post by Artie » 07 Jan 2019, 12:47 pm

Have been hunting SF for about a year but only native never pine.
Any tips or tricks anyone is willing to share?
Artie
Private
Private
 
Posts: 7
New South Wales

Re: Pine forest hunt

Post by bladeracer » 07 Jan 2019, 1:38 pm

Artie wrote:Have been hunting SF for about a year but only native never pine.
Any tips or tricks anyone is willing to share?


Here in Vic I think plantations are usually leased so you would need permission from the lessee.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 5413
Victoria

Re: Pine forest hunt

Post by Artie » 07 Jan 2019, 1:41 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Artie wrote:Have been hunting SF for about a year but only native never pine.
Any tips or tricks anyone is willing to share?


Here in Vic I think plantations are usually leased so you would need permission from the lessee.


Sorry should of added I am in NSW in the blue mountains central tablelands area
Artie
Private
Private
 
Posts: 7
New South Wales

Re: Pine forest hunt

Post by bladeracer » 07 Jan 2019, 1:44 pm

Artie wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
Artie wrote:Have been hunting SF for about a year but only native never pine.
Any tips or tricks anyone is willing to share?


Here in Vic I think plantations are usually leased so you would need permission from the lessee.


Sorry should of added I am in NSW in the blue mountains central tablelands area


So who owns the plantation you want to hunt? Seems odd to have plantation on public land with nobody responsible for logging and maintaining it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 5413
Victoria

Re: Pine forest hunt

Post by bladeracer » 07 Jan 2019, 1:51 pm

We had a lot of pines on the property when I was a kid as they were kept as wind breaks. Some of the properties around here, including some of our original fence lines are still pines. Annoying for hunting as they're noisy for stalking through due to the ground debris, including buried pine cones, great for rolled ankles. In poor light they often have branches well below head height, and the birds tend to sleep on the lower branches, where they give the game away when you spook them. On the other hand though, plantations usually have limited ground cover so low-level lines of sight are not as restricted as native bush. There's a lot of APM plantation around here, but other than 'roos I don't think there's much wildlife in there. We have an area of native bush on our property that is virtually impassable, it took me several hours to traverse just a few hundred meters when inspecting the fence line.

I generally go out before dawn to sit and wait for the foxes, but I avoid the pine areas. I tend to sit around gum trees and other natives as they don't have as much crap around them.
Last edited by bladeracer on 07 Jan 2019, 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 5413
Victoria

Re: Pine forest hunt

Post by Artie » 07 Jan 2019, 1:53 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Artie wrote:
bladeracer wrote:
Artie wrote:Have been hunting SF for about a year but only native never pine.
Any tips or tricks anyone is willing to share?


Here in Vic I think plantations are usually leased so you would need permission from the lessee.


Sorry should of added I am in NSW in the blue mountains central tablelands area


So who owns the plantation you want to hunt? Seems odd to have plantation on public land with nobody responsible for logging and maintaining it.


State forestry corporation own native and pine plantations on public land.
We need hold a R license as well as our firearms lic do some online modules to be able to gain written promission to hunt on public land decalered for hunting.
Artie
Private
Private
 
Posts: 7
New South Wales

Re: Pine forest hunt

Post by bladeracer » 07 Jan 2019, 1:55 pm

Artie wrote:State forestry corporation own native and pine plantations on public land.
We need hold a R license as well as our firearms lic do some online modules to be able to gain written promission to hunt on public land decalered for hunting.


So when you book an R-Licence hunt you can book plantations as well as state forest? I wasn't aware of that.
We don't have R-Licences down here, our firearms licence is all we need for hunting public land, no booking required.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
User avatar
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 5413
Victoria

Re: Pine forest hunt

Post by Artie » 07 Jan 2019, 2:01 pm

Yes when we book we can pick from any state forest declared open for hunting.
Just never done a pine yet so will be new to me going end of week.
Artie
Private
Private
 
Posts: 7
New South Wales

Re: Pine forest hunt

Post by marksman » 10 Jan 2019, 2:21 pm

I've hunted quite a few plantations in the past including pine forest
what I would add is to camo up stalk very slowly against the rows and check down each row with a good set of bino's before moving on again
try to start early morning, the wind can be swirly at least but try keeping the wind coming toward you and when you get that musky smell stand very still and look hard for blobs of colour or shapes that dont fit in, if you are hearing the animals move off in front of you slow down, even stop and have a break then move on
in the pines you need to get down and look down the rows under the branches if you can but mostly look for where the game are moving in and out
either plant at a distance and snipe them when they come out to go to there feeding grounds or walk in and find there beds
I prefer to plant and snipe, it's easier without upsetting there habits, also easier to get in the car
anyway hope this may help a bit as it's been the way I've done it successfully for some time :drinks:
User avatar
marksman
Colonel
Colonel
 
Posts: 2029
Victoria

Re: Pine forest hunt

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Jan 2019, 4:11 pm

marksman wrote:I've hunted quite a few plantations in the past including pine forest
what I would add is to camo up stalk very slowly against the rows and check down each row with a good set of bino's before moving on again
try to start early morning, the wind can be swirly at least but try keeping the wind coming toward you and when you get that musky smell stand very still and look hard for blobs of colour or shapes that dont fit in, if you are hearing the animals move off in front of you slow down, even stop and have a break then move on
in the pines you need to get down and look down the rows under the branches if you can but mostly look for where the game are moving in and out
either plant at a distance and snipe them when they come out to go to there feeding grounds or walk in and find there beds
I prefer to plant and snipe, it's easier without upsetting there habits, also easier to get in the car
anyway hope this may help a bit as it's been the way I've done it successfully for some time :drinks:


Sounds like good advice.
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
User avatar
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
 
Posts: 5297
Victoria

Re: Pine forest hunt

Post by Artie » 11 Jan 2019, 7:42 am

Well was a good hunt apart for the rain and ending it a day early :( saw a s**t load of Rabbits, a lone Fallow Buck had nice rack decided not to shoot just plotted his location as well as rubbing and bedding locations.
Was a good day did around 20ks of scouting definitely going to do it again.
Artie
Private
Private
 
Posts: 7
New South Wales

Re: Pine forest hunt

Post by yoshie » 11 Jan 2019, 8:33 am

In my experience you'll have better luck with the sit and wait approach it the pines, fallow will use it as a thoroughfare, to get to and from native or clearings, stopping only briefly in a clearing with feed. Its too niosy to walk up on them and you're more likely to spook them, sound carries quite far under a thick canopy. I have seen beds on the edge of pine too.
User avatar
yoshie
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant
 
Posts: 504
Australian Capital Territory


Back to top
 
Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey