dashers and deer

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

dashers and deer

Post by marksman » 25 Jan 2020, 10:34 am

after a lot of inspiration talking about dashers and deer on the forum l decided to get out there after some good rain and get some venison in the freezer
l've been hanging back because of how dry everywhere is

this is a pic of where the shot took place, a perfect sniping position, private property backing onto a state forest

this young stag was on his own probably looking for a bachelor group to hook up with
he will make some good eating :drinks:

the 6mm dasher is what l call a perfect round for sniping fallow :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Re: dashers and deer

Post by Blr243 » 25 Jan 2020, 12:08 pm

I was reading about th 6 mm dasher the other day. But it had slipped my mind and when I saw (dasher and deer )topic for some reason I was thinking hunting deer with hounds so u could say that I got it quite wrong. Up here it’s roughly 50/50 i e smoky grey as in your pic or red with white spots ..,, how is the colour distribution down your way?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 25 Jan 2020, 4:27 pm

we get all of them in this area Blr
l shot a white one last year, usually see them and the farmers want me to shoot them because they are a distraction
the skin on this one is soft as and has a real black tinge to it

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 25 Jan 2020, 11:59 pm

Whats that next to it marksman...?
Is that its black tail...?...

Looks good...!!

I saw a very light one couple of weeks ago--it was just 50 yds from the car grazing in an open paddock on an intersection of a main road before dawn...
It really looked amazing... :)

Hey...when you skin em, do you manage to salvage the entire tail...?
Ive done 4 now & lost 3 of the tails... :cry:

If you saved this tail i hope you didnt cut the teeny hand at the end of it... :?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Am88 » 26 Jan 2020, 8:32 am

Not sure why but when I read the title my mind automatically thought of Dasher the reindeer :lol: how is Santa going to deliver his presents now MM!

Good stuff :drinks:
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 26 Jan 2020, 8:43 am

I learned a long time ago the hard way that you can skin a fallow with general fast technique right up to the tail and that’s when stop, relax and imagine that you are the worlds most delicate precision dentist and take your time
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 26 Jan 2020, 8:49 am

Google” havalon piranta edge “ skinning knife. It’s my sidekick that I can never be without wherever I go. Great for fine tail work or caping fox. Super sharp. So sharp in fact that fit the first 2 weeks you cut yourself often just by slightly bumping yourself. Once you get used to it being so sharp you don’t cut yourself anymore ....I also have the longer fish filleting version that I use for boning out Gold Coast trapping supplies sell them approximately 50 but elsewhere I see em fir 90/100
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 26 Jan 2020, 8:54 am

Am88 wrote:Not sure why but when I read the title my mind automatically thought of Dasher the reindeer :lol: how is Santa going to deliver his presents now MM!

Good stuff :drinks:

:lol: :lol: :lol: the dasher is good for bringing presents :drinks:

"Whats that next to it marksman...?
Is that its black tail...?..."

that is its black tail Stix and it is skun you can just see the tail bone in the extreme top corner, l tried to keep it out of the photo
it can be pretty hard to do a good job on the tail but if you take your time, really take your time doing an inch at a time you will get it
l only do small cuts into the tail and pull the skin not trying to cut around it, when l try to cut it off like an orange skin l end up cutting the skin
l've put this one in the freezer for now but l will dry it out, this skin is one of the softest l have ever seen
the deer has a good layer of fat and is in really good health, a really good eater :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by marksman » 26 Jan 2020, 8:57 am

Blr243 wrote:I learned a long time ago the hard way that you can skin a fallow with general fast technique right up to the tail and that’s when stop, relax and imagine that you are the worlds most delicate precision dentist and take your time

bloody oath :thumbsup:
thats why l do the tail first :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 26 Jan 2020, 10:46 am

Thanks guys...
Although you're not telling me anything i want to hear--i want to hear quick & easy...!!... :lol:

Yes the one i got off, i took my time with a small sharp knife, although it was easier to peel awsy in parts as compared with the others...but i did it first & took my time...
The latest one, both body & skin was heating up so i had to get it off asap & did the tsil part way through...i regret it now...ah well... :unknown:

Marksman...do you do your own skins, or have em done by a tanner...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 26 Jan 2020, 1:53 pm

I reckon once u start the tail from the body end and once u have done the first inch cut the tail off ( bone and meat part) then grab a milk crate and a can of Diet Coke ant a scalpel and put on your specs and a JJ CALE CD. and go get comfy settled in the shade. Accurate work is best done comfortable
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 26 Jan 2020, 3:32 pm

Lol...
Good advice blr... :thumbsup:

I was going to do just that, but as i said things were heating up.

Thats pretty much what i did for the tail i kept intact, except for leaving it on the body do could use tension as i needed it.

I like your style...although i must say, i actually prefer Claptons version of Cocaine...i rekon its got a better groove due to the finesse of the drums...
I assume it was Oldaker playing on the recording, which makes sense for his style...
Classy...& just makes a great song so much better... :)
:drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 26 Jan 2020, 3:39 pm

l have done my own skins Stix
but it is a bit of work when my better half wont let me have anything dead in the house so l usually now just salt them and give them away although she said if l get this one done professionally l can have it next to the bed so l put my feet on it when l get up in the morning because of how soft it is :drinks:
happy wife happy life :thumbsup:

blr l thought you were going to tell us about the golf ball trick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MYjw8TTw18
l haven't given it a try yet but l am going to in the near future :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 26 Jan 2020, 5:17 pm

Hmm.....nothing dead in the house eh...ugg boots... :unknown: ...leather shoes... :unknown: ....they are strange creatures marksman.... :? ...poses the question if she eats outside.. :lol:
I dont see how a chrome tanned one is bad--although i dont know how a commercially tanned skin is different, but maybe they are... :unknown:

SSsshhh...!!!...Dont tell her i said all that...i dont want her to think im back-chatting or challenging the house authority... :lol:
:)

So can i ask you...when you do them/or have done them yourself, how do you go breaking them...??
Ive got one someone gave me, its a decent sized buck, & byjingo, its so thick through the centre i cant give it the stretch required to properly soften it like the smaller babies ive done... :(
There has got to be a better way...

That golfball trick is a wee ripperr :clap: ...i have seen that before at some time in the past & keen to give it a go too...!!...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 26 Jan 2020, 6:18 pm

you would have to have a braker bar Stix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6wh5u872mw

a wire brush wheel on a grinder is a good tool for fleshing if you need to as well Stix :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 26 Jan 2020, 8:10 pm

Thanks marksman... :thumbsup:
That wrecking bar is a great idea...tried it a little on this hide...still heavy going though...
I did find its hard to get it all to an even flat stretch though...ah well...ill keep at it...ill probably have to wet this one down again as its a little stiff in areas...

Just thought id ask how you did it...

As for fleshing, thankfully ive not had to resort to wire wheels yet.& ill avoid that if i can--sounds messy... :? .
The pressure cleaner does ok...its taken a bit of experimenting to know when is best time to flesh...but im back to drying & rehydrating them now ive figured how to stop the fur slipping bacteria on rehydration... :)

:drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 26 Jan 2020, 10:28 pm

Nothing like a wet bag of meat dripping blood in the bottom of an esky to upset a woman when you try to put it in the kitchen fridge , .... it’s worse I think than the trouble we get into washing out paint brushes in the laundry tub
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 26 Jan 2020, 10:59 pm

lol BLR...you're game...!!
I was just being silly above--if its no dead things inside, thats how it is...nothing wrong with that--but im a tradie & i rekon even if you washed out paint brushes in my sink id have a couple of stinging words... :lol:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 28 Jan 2020, 8:23 pm

Stix. Regarding Clapton and jj cale and that song , if you have time check out the videos of crossroads guitar festival the states. When Clapton plays on that festival , jamming with bb king, buddy guy, jj cale John Mayer and others u can see Clapton not trying to play like the others but very obviously slipping into their style , and it shows him as a very versatile and talented guitar player
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 29 Jan 2020, 9:51 pm

so l thought l'd show what happens to some of the meat off this deer :thumbsup:

of course l did not mince the back straps and a few other muscles but the family wanted some snags
all the bones are in a freezer ready to be taken back for the cockys dogs and the skin is in the freezer waiting for me to salt it out :drinks:
l have to say the sausages tasted great and l cooked them, the better half would have made them cooked all over :lol:
pity l dont have a beer anymore a melbourne bitter would have gone down well with it :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Am88 » 31 Jan 2020, 11:58 am

That looks bloody good MM, the main ways I do my chital are as follows :lol: burger patties with pork fat which are my wife’s favourite for burgers, Crumbed like crumbed steak of course, pot roasts and I make a mean bloody stew. But I haven’t quite gone into sausages yet, is that a flavour satchel or something you have there?
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 31 Jan 2020, 12:40 pm

Very very good...!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Only 2 snags marksman... :unknown:

I wont tell you how many id chomp down...!! :oops:

That no doubt explains why im putting on weight... :unknown:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 31 Jan 2020, 1:48 pm

Am88 wrote:That looks bloody good MM, the main ways I do my chital are as follows :lol: burger patties with pork fat which are my wife’s favourite for burgers, Crumbed like crumbed steak of course, pot roasts and I make a mean bloody stew. But I haven’t quite gone into sausages yet, is that a flavour satchel or something you have there?

yes mate it is a sausage flavour satchel from an e-bay store, this is boerwors and does 15kg of meat, they have heaps of different flavour's
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/875gms-Chor ... 1438.l2649

the white stuff on top is lard or pork fat l bought from the supermarket and added, it has the consistency of margarine so l made layers of meat, the meal (flavour) and cubes of lard, l used 8 packets of lard for around 30 litres of meat, you try for around 12-15%, when l have finished doing the layers l mix it all by hand the mince again fine, the trick with sausages is coldness,
after l have minced the mixture for the second time the containers are put into the fridge overnight to keep cold and have the flavour go through the meat,
then the meat is put into a bigger container and 500ml of very cold water and with this flavour 500ml of very cold vinegar is added and mixed through
the meat is kept in the fridge and loaded into my sausage stuffer that feels as cold as a pewter mug full of cold melbourne bitter beer :drinks:
l use natural pig intestine skins but you can get collagen skins that are ok to use
its a fair bit of extra work to make the sausage's but they are a favorite, whats left over is a flavoured mince we make burgers from, just add onions :thumbsup: :drinks:

l am going to give the crumbed burgers a go :thumbsup:

the photo is a different load of sausage l made with collagen skins to give you an idea of what is used

Last edited by marksman on 31 Jan 2020, 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by marksman » 31 Jan 2020, 1:51 pm

Stix wrote:Very very good...!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Only 2 snags marksman... :unknown:

I wont tell you how many id chomp down...!! :oops:

That no doubt explains why im putting on weight... :unknown:

l know what you are saying Stix, l'm trying to get the weight down a bit and lose the balcony :drinks:
there great for that no sugar and very good meat :thumbsup:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Am88 » 01 Feb 2020, 7:05 am

Sounds beaut MM. I notice when doing burger patties keeping everything cold is a win. And the lard idea is a nice tip. I have not found many in my city that will sell me pork fat because they use it themselves. So that stops me making patties quite a lot but going to try this now! Cheers
Am88
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey