Micro hunting dog

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Micro hunting dog

Post by bigrich » 18 May 2020, 4:55 pm

ya sure ya don't want a beagle stoney ........
Attachments
41vg3y (1).jpg
i'll get you yet red baron ,,,,,
41vg3y (1).jpg (94.32 KiB) Viewed 284 times
bigrich
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 18 May 2020, 4:55 pm

Spaniels are great hunting dogs that can fetch a duck or rabbit for you or flush out game. Great companion dogs but the smallest ones, Cocker and Cavaliers are not the most accomplished hunters. Fantastic travellers also.
SCJ429
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Stoney » 18 May 2020, 4:58 pm

bigrich wrote:ya sure ya don't want a beagle stoney ........

Ok bigrich I want a beagle now :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 18 May 2020, 5:01 pm

Stoney wrote:
bigrich wrote:ya sure ya don't want a beagle stoney ........

Ok bigrich I want a beagle now :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

would ya want a great dane if i can find a pic of scooby doo with a mini gun like in predator ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 18 May 2020, 9:07 pm

One of the hunting guides up north uses a terrier. Dog has had his photo in Sporting Shooter almost as much as Nick Harvey.
GQshayne
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ats3 » 18 May 2020, 9:19 pm

Ever thought of a basenji? Hunting dog from Africa, thought to be among the oldest breeds of dog. Very quick, don't bark, intelligent, short hair, and only a bit bigger than a Jack Russell. There seems to be quite a few breeders around Australia.
Ats3
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 19 May 2020, 4:52 am

mchughcb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 19 May 2020, 4:53 am

GQshayne wrote:One of the hunting guides up north uses a terrier. Dog has had his photo in Sporting Shooter almost as much as Nick Harvey.

Good old uncle nick, Christ, he’d be getting on in age now . Maybe he’s passed on and they taxadermied him , keep him in a cupboard At ssaa HQ and just bring him out for the occasional photo shoot :lol:
bigrich
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 19 May 2020, 4:54 am

mchughcb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Strangedog » 19 May 2020, 1:13 pm

Ats3 wrote:Ever thought of a basenji? Hunting dog from Africa, thought to be among the oldest breeds of dog. Very quick, don't bark, intelligent, short hair, and only a bit bigger than a Jack Russell. There seems to be quite a few breeders around Australia.

I would not recommend a Basenji. They are very hard to train.
Strangedog
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Stoney » 19 May 2020, 4:02 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Spaniels are great hunting dogs that can fetch a duck or rabbit for you or flush out game. Great companion dogs but the smallest ones, Cocker and Cavaliers are not the most accomplished hunters. Fantastic travellers also.

I did think of a Cocker Spaniel SCJ429 they have a beautiful nature but ticks worry me with that long coat.

Strangedog wrote:
Ats3 wrote:Ever thought of a basenji? Hunting dog from Africa, thought to be among the oldest breeds of dog. Very quick, don't bark, intelligent, short hair, and only a bit bigger than a Jack Russell. There seems to be quite a few breeders around Australia.

I would not recommend a Basenji. They are very hard to train.

I will look into them Ats3 and Strangdog but to be honest I think I am becoming sold on a Dachshund. They look weird when they run though :lol: :lol: :lol:
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 19 May 2020, 7:27 pm

bigrich wrote:
Good old uncle nick, Christ, he’d be getting on in age now . Maybe he’s passed on and they taxadermied him , keep him in a cupboard At ssaa HQ and just bring him out for the occasional photo shoot :lol:

I think he is 83 years old.
GQshayne
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bruiser64 » 23 May 2020, 10:20 am

A Border Terrier may also be a good option. in any event I would look at getting something bred to have the hunting attributes you are after. Which would I suspect be a high prey drive, courageousness, tenacity, and intelligence. The terrier breeds from a reputable, well respected breeder would be my recommendation. I have preferred pure breeds for many years because you can look for the breed with your desired attributes. I am amazed what people will pay for a mutt. I saw a recent article where a young couple 50% paid more for a “cavoodle” (a mutt), than you would have paid for a very well bred purebreed poodle or cavalier king charles spaniel.

The trouble with crossbreeds is it is a real lottery as to what attributes you might end up with. This is not to say crossbreeds dont make an excellent pet. It is just harder to predict what you actually end up with.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Stoney » 24 May 2020, 6:09 pm

Bruiser64 wrote:A Border Terrier may also be a good option. in any event I would look at getting something bred to have the hunting attributes you are after. Which would I suspect be a high prey drive, courageousness, tenacity, and intelligence. The terrier breeds from a reputable, well respected breeder would be my recommendation. I have preferred pure breeds for many years because you can look for the breed with your desired attributes. I am amazed what people will pay for a mutt. I saw a recent article where a young couple 50% paid more for a “cavoodle” (a mutt), than you would have paid for a very well bred purebreed poodle or cavalier king charles spaniel.

The trouble with crossbreeds is it is a real lottery as to what attributes you might end up with. This is not to say crossbreeds dont make an excellent pet. It is just harder to predict what you actually end up with.

Good advice there Bruiser64. A " Mutt" can be an awesome dog or a s**t dog. Although I have heard stories of inbreeding with some purebred breeds in Australia that can cause a lot of problems.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 24 May 2020, 6:22 pm

Bruiser64 wrote:A Border Terrier may also be a good option. in any event I would look at getting something bred to have the hunting attributes you are after. Which would I suspect be a high prey drive, courageousness, tenacity, and intelligence. The terrier breeds from a reputable, well respected breeder would be my recommendation. I have preferred pure breeds for many years because you can look for the breed with your desired attributes. I am amazed what people will pay for a mutt. I saw a recent article where a young couple 50% paid more for a “cavoodle” (a mutt), than you would have paid for a very well bred purebreed poodle or cavalier king charles spaniel.

Good advice there Bruiser64. A " Mutt" can be an awesome dog or a s**t dog. Although I have heard stories of inbreeding with some purebred breeds in Australia that can cause a lot of problems.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Harrynsw » 25 May 2020, 5:46 pm

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:I have a pug generally usless in all regards couldn't follow a scent trail to save his life alerts all game with his snoring and farts profusely whilst in the passengers seat.

:lol:
:lol:
Harrynsw
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bruiser64 » 25 May 2020, 10:19 pm

[/quote]Good advice there Bruiser64. A " Mutt" can be an awesome dog or a s**t dog. Although I have heard stories of inbreeding with some purebred breeds in Australia that can cause a lot of problems.[/quote]

That is very true. which is why you have to be very particular about who you buy a dog from. Good breeders will be careful about avoiding inbreeding. They will also get genetic testing done. A good place to start in looking for a dog is the breed societies. You do have to do your homework. Poorly bred purebreeds can have very serious genetic disorders. Or temperament problems. A good breeder will also provide guarantees as well.

For example, over 20 years ago I was looking at getting a Saint Bernard (I ended up getting a Newfoundland instead). There was an issue of poor temperament in a line of the WA Saint Bernards that the anecdotal information suggested went back to a particular imported sire. This dog being a snappy, grumpy thing. Not a great attribute in a giant breed. It was unfortunately present in some of the WA saints back then. So I passed on the Saint Bernards and went for the Newfie as having a good temperament is part of their breed standard. I didnt regret it as he was a lovely (though slobbery) dog. This experience demonstrated the need to do your due diligence when buying a purebred dog.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey