Hunting in Wombat State Forest VIC?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Hunting in Wombat State Forest VIC?

Post by AusC » 15 Jan 2015, 9:37 am

chrispy88 wrote:My brother and I (both licenced) are looking at a Vic state forest hunting trip once it cools down a little so this thread caught my eye. We are on NSW south coast but have an uncle at Wodonga that regularly camps NE Vic (around Mitta Mitta etc) who said he will drop us in n pick us up the following day. We will obviously only be shooting ferals and maybe a deer on the second day if we get lucky while the sun is up but is there anything else I need to know about Vic laws in state forest? Where can I go to read up? Thanks in advance guys.

This is probably your best bet chrispy - http://www.gma.vic.gov.au/hunting/deer/where-to-hunt

Mid way down is a "Hunting Locations Explained" section. Just make sure you don't wander into the wrong type of forest or park.

Where your uncle is is going to be much better than Wombat (hours away from him anyway). I don't know about Mitta Mitta but Mt Beauty and Bright which are both nearby are good spots.

Living in the area your uncle will know what's best around there anyway I'm sure.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 15 Jan 2015, 12:58 pm

Mitta Mitta area is nice country. I've fished the creeks around there and looks like prime deer habitat.

Have spent more time further up the Mitta above Dartmouth, though. Definitely all manner of game and ferals around.

As above, your uncle should be able to sort you. As for regs, etc, best ask/consult the gov authorities and read local regs to be sure.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by veep » 15 Jan 2015, 1:54 pm

Don't forget you will need game license if taking deer, and not just ferals too.
veep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by chrispy88 » 16 Jan 2015, 3:53 pm

Ok thanks guys. Followed the link, seems simple enough. Will be taking maps and gps to ensure we don't wonder into the wrong places.

Yep, know about the R class licence Veep, on our way to getting them. Cheers.

The uncle has heard of dog packs in the area, as well as the other usual ferals, can't wait! Just need this weather to cool down a little!
Tikka T3 Lite SS .308 / VXII 3-9x40
Howa HB SS .223 / Viper PST 4-16x50
Savage Mk II BTVS .22LR / VXI 3-9x40
Lithgow Model 1 .22LR
Miroku MK10 Sporter 12g
W. W. Greener Martini action 12g
chrispy88
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by scrolllock » 16 Jan 2015, 9:31 pm

chrispy88 wrote:Just need this weather to cool down a little!

You're not the only one.

Swimming in sweat the down here lately.
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by HallyD79 » 20 Jan 2015, 3:38 pm

Hey Guys,

I live in Gisborne and a mate and I have been in Wombat tons of times the past couple of months. usually head in about 4am and leave mid morning. Go some nights with night vision too.

See tons or Roos, Foxes, Rabbits and of course wombats. seen deer tracks and droppings but never seen any. Heard a few pigs around as well. But it's hard to judge out there. we go one morning and see a lot and then see nothing for 2 weeks. I know one guy that takes his dogs in hunting with him and gets pigs every time.

We was in the middle of the forest and a mountain bike rider came riding through the bush. He tried to tell us that hunting was not allowed in Wombat. but it's BS. everything has designated areas in there. Mountain bike riders and trail bikers are only allowed on designed tracks. 4WD are only allowed on the roads or 4WD tracks and if your on foot and hunting you can go where you want as long as it's not sign posted a non shooting area and your not within a certain distance of tracks or residential areas on the outskirts.

they had done a huge burn off in there just before xmas and it's still all burnt and charred in certain areas. I have heard there are a lot of Goat and wild dogs near the Trentham side of the forest. Although a local did say that was just their woman..lol.

Keen to hear what others have seen or hunted in there.
HallyD79
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 20 Jan 2015, 7:36 pm

Should have told him motorbikes are not allowed in there....

If it's a state forest then the only places you can't hunt are within 100m of a waterway, 100m of a road, and within the 'public safety zones' normally associated with logging .... check vic map website as they're not on the game maps....and loggers and Rangers can evict you from these areas.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by RealNick » 21 Jan 2015, 2:48 pm

HallyD79 wrote:Keen to hear what others have seen or hunted in there.

Pretty much what you've said.

I've been to a spot in the north side twice in the past and there was tonnes of deer sign and a few clear game trails.

Seen bugger all of the deer themselves though :problem:
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by hrrl » 21 Jan 2015, 2:50 pm

HallyD79 wrote:We was in the middle of the forest and a mountain bike rider came riding through the bush. He tried to tell us that hunting was not allowed in Wombat. but it's BS.

Tell him it's not his private bike trail and to piss off.
Howa Nowa Browna Cowa
hrrl
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by HallyD79 » 21 Jan 2015, 9:14 pm

He got the point we weren't moving. plus they are not allowed to ride unless there is a sign posted track saying they are there.
HallyD79
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by hrrl » 22 Jan 2015, 2:19 pm

HallyD79 wrote:He got the point we weren't moving.

:thumbsup:
Howa Nowa Browna Cowa
hrrl
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Jan 2015, 4:54 pm

"you can't hunt are within 100m of a road," That sounds correct. Makes sense anyway.

"you can't hunt are within 100m of a waterway" That's new to me, where did you get that from?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by North East » 22 Jan 2015, 5:18 pm

Oldbloke wrote:"you can't hunt are within 100m of a road," That sounds correct. Makes sense anyway.

"you can't hunt are within 100m of a waterway" That's new to me, where did you get that from?

Where does it say you can't hunt within 100m of a road?....let alone 100m of a waterway.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Jan 2015, 6:53 pm

Capture 100 mtrs.JPG
Capture 100 mtrs.JPG (65.11 KiB) Viewed 8623 times
I found this in the firearm regulations. Seems to be more about private property when there are more than 5 people rather than SF. Might need to look into it further.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by North East » 22 Jan 2015, 7:23 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Capture 100 mtrs.JPG
I found this in the firearm regulations. Seems to be more about private property when there are more than 5 people rather than SF. Might need to look into it further.

I've never found anything referring to distances while hunting in State Forests....except for the old don't shoot from or across a road/track and don't carry a loaded firearm/magazine along a road/track.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 22 Jan 2015, 8:25 pm

I tend to recall the 100m distance as being the rule... maybe its the 'guide' if its not legislated.....
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Jan 2015, 6:17 am

Also searched the regs and no mention of waterways
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by scrolllock » 23 Jan 2015, 10:58 am

On the subject of water, this is from Game Management Authority website.

Melbourne Water catchment areas
A number of catchments and reservoirs in the outer metropolitan and central highlands area are controlled by Melbourne Water and are part of the metropolitan water supply system. Public entry to these areas is prohibited. Hunting of any type is not permitted at any time.

Camping
Here are some basic rules you should follow when camping:
• Camp in an existing campsite rather than create a new one and camp at least 20 metres from any creek, lake or wetland (this is to ensure that areas near the water remain available for use by other visitors and to keep the waters free of pollution).

First one is law I'm sure, covered outside of firearms act though.

Second one I'm saying "suggestion" rather than "rule".

No mention of limits or distance from general bodies of water or water ways.
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bood » 24 Jan 2015, 2:10 pm

Melbourne Water catchment areas
A number of catchments and reservoirs in the outer metropolitan and central highlands area are controlled by Melbourne Water and are part of the metropolitan water supply system. Public entry to these areas is prohibited. Hunting of any type is not permitted at any time.

Wouldn't this be in reference to their controlled reservoirs/catchment areas...........
RUGER 77/17 HMR :D
HOWA M1500 .223
MARLIN .22lr
Bood
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Jan 2015, 2:31 pm

Yes. There are large water catchment areas east of melbourne that are closed as is most of the lerdederge gorge
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by scrolllock » 27 Jan 2015, 12:23 pm

Bood wrote:Wouldn't this be in reference to their controlled reservoirs/catchment areas...........

Yes... I posted it following the "you can't hunt are within 100m of a waterway" comment. "On the subject of water" as I said.

There was some confusion around what water that constituted as it wasn't confirmed to be all water. I was adding information to the conversation.
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Questions for wombat state forest

Post by Louis1990 » 09 Jul 2015, 6:26 pm

Hi all new to the forum Qld local but Victorian bred. Im going to be back in Vic for a few weeks and looking to do some hunting in the wombat state forest. Just seeking some advice on what are the best tracks to enter the forest i have a 4wd and am mainly looking for rabbits as im only bringing my .22. If it helps im staying in Lancefield.
Thanks in advance.
Louis1990
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by WildHunter » 25 Jul 2015, 8:54 pm

Hi guys,

Got onto this thread researching Wombat State Forest for a hunting trip next week. Was hopeful, but after reading this thread not so sure now LOL, anyways will let you know how it went.

I am only after ferals, really hoping for a pig, and plenty of rabbits plus the odd fox.

Kinda interested in those blokes who were after hunting partners. I'm in the same boat. I'm a member of numerous shooting clubs, and a 20 strong elite shooting community I stumbled on by accident. Yet even their hunting properties withered away over time. Few want to come out and try the forests. Next week I'm going with a mate who now lives in England (we planned this trip years ago before he left, just never got around to it, despite the numerous times he's come back to visit) so he won't be a permanent fixture.

Beside you can never have enough friends ;)

Though safe and legal hunters only. I've had the unfortunate encounter of hunting with a group and when I woke up in the morning someone was sitting right next to me with a joey. I found out they'd been up all night and had taken a trip some k's away and massacred the wildlife, I got out of there fast after that.

Still there are good hunters out there and keen to meet them
30 guns and still not enough.
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Questions for wombat state forest

Post by WildHunter » 26 Jul 2015, 12:24 am

I'm going there next week, I can give you some feedback once I'm back mate.
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 Jul 2015, 10:24 am

Yes please keep us posted, I am keen to head in there next time I get a chance.. only 45 Mins from my place
Member-Deleted

Post by WildHunter » 31 Jul 2015, 11:32 pm

Was s**t.

Didn't see a single f***ing rabbit. It's as if it's the whole forest has shot out. Saw one fox going into town, unfortunately out of the park. Coming back into Firth Park campground from a walk around with rifles we came across something that appeared to be cat, however it legged it before I could get the spotlight up and my mate the rifle ready.
Didn't really check for deer, and pigs went to where the ranger said sightings had been, didn't see any, as for signs didn't look too hard to be honest. Plenty of Wallabies. So many it's not funny, they're all you see. Everywhere. Spot movement, rifle up *jump* Grrr not another one. Spot eyes in the spotlight, *bounce* FFS. I could have cried, everything we saw was a wallaby just about. Warning driving at night, really dangerous. The wombats come out, and there's plenty of those too. As soon as they see the car they run away from it by running across the road. We had plenty of near misses with the wallabies and wombats.

Found an alright sight-in place in a newly cut and seeded pine plantation.

I've got heaps of maps and info on the place now and sort of know my way around after this trip. If I can get some deer cams I might put them up around the water and see if the pigs come and when. It's close by and I'd love for it to have something.
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by WildHunter » 31 Jul 2015, 11:33 pm

Was s**t.

Didn't see a single f***ing rabbit. It's as if it's the whole forest has shot out. Saw one fox going into town, unfortunately out of the park. Coming back into Firth Park campground from a walk around with rifles we came across something that appeared to be cat, however it legged it before I could get the spotlight up and my mate the rifle ready.
Didn't really check for deer, and pigs went to where the ranger said sightings had been, didn't see any, as for signs didn't look too hard to be honest. Plenty of Wallabies. So many it's not funny, they're all you see. Everywhere. Spot movement, rifle up *jump* Grrr not another one. Spot eyes in the spotlight, *bounce* FFS. I could have cried, everything we saw was a wallaby just about. Warning driving at night, really dangerous. The wombats come out, and there's plenty of those too. As soon as they see the car they run away from it by running across the road. We had plenty of near misses with the wallabies and wombats.

I've got heaps of maps and info on the place now and sort of know my way around after this trip. If I can get some deer cams I might put them up around the water and see if the pigs come and when. It's close by and I'd love for it to have something.
WildHunter
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 01 Aug 2015, 1:41 am

I'm with you. I'm extremely selective about who I hunt with, and pretty much limit it to family and friends that I trust.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by KWhorenet » 01 Aug 2015, 7:50 am

WildHunter wrote:Was s**t.

I'm a bit confused, (just woke up);

We're you spotlighting the whole time?
Who's leased or private land had the pine plantation?

Not trying to sound anal but I read this and just in case you aren't aware, if in deer habitat as highlighted on GMA website maps, there is no spotlighting allowed and pine plantations would need permission just like private land to shoot on.

Sorry if I'm way off the mark. Wouldn't want to read your next post about being strung up by your nads.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Shorti85 » 01 Aug 2015, 11:51 am

Wombat SF isn't a recognized deer habitat, so spotlighting is legal
if you don't get stuck, your not trying hard enough
Shorti85
Private
Private

Victoria