Vic State Forests

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Vic State Forests

Post by Jon79 » 05 Jun 2018, 5:43 pm

This might be a stupid question...….What's the go for NSW shooters who want to shoot in the Vic State Forests are we able to apply for a game license from the Vic DPI to do so and do you need to book to shoot in them (cant find anything online)
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Vic State Forests

Post by juststarting » 05 Jun 2018, 5:45 pm

Permit and you're good to go. No booking. If you're not going after deer, then you don't need a permit, just go.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jun 2018, 6:04 pm

Jon79 wrote:This might be a stupid question...….What's the go for NSW shooters who want to shoot in the Vic State Forests are we able to apply for a game license from the Vic DPI to do so and do you need to book to shoot in them (cant find anything online)

No booking, no permits, no GPS, no Blaze Orange - just go and clear out the ferals.
If you want deer or duck you need a game licence, and you need to be in season. The only deer season I know of is Hog Deer in April, all other deer you can shoot all the time. Some national parks also allow deer hunting.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 05 Jun 2018, 6:15 pm

juststarting wrote:Permit and you're good to go. No booking. If you're not going after deer, then you don't need a permit, just go.

Wow...unbelievable...

I find it astonishing you dont need a hunting permit to go hunting with a firearm in Vic, yet you apparently need a permit to drop a piece on mono in the Murray to pull up Carp...

Its the opposite over here...
Need a hunting permit for shooting ferals over here (SA)., & no fishing permit... (yet)...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jun 2018, 6:19 pm

Stix wrote:
juststarting wrote:Permit and you're good to go. No booking. If you're not going after deer, then you don't need a permit, just go.

Wow...unbelievable...

I find it astonishing you dont need a hunting permit to go hunting with a firearm in Vic, yet you apparently need a permit to drop a piece on mono in the Murray to pull up Carp...

Need a hunting permit for shooting ferals over here (SA)., & no fishing permit... (yet)...

I've never been into fishing, but as a kid in SA I had a hunting permit for crown land. But there wasn't any crown land within hundreds of kilometers of where I was. I'm surprised you need a hunting permit now that you can only hunt on private property. Are there deer in SA, and if there are, do you need a permit for them?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 05 Jun 2018, 6:26 pm

Stix wrote:[

That's because there isn't any fresh water to fish in over there! :lol:

Mind you, the salt water fishing certainly makes up for it! :drinks:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Wombat » 05 Jun 2018, 8:02 pm

But you need to be very careful about hunting in recognized deer habitat, you can be done even if you are not after deer.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jun 2018, 8:16 pm

Wombat wrote:

But you need to be very careful about hunting in recognized deer habitat, you can be done even if you are not after deer.

Yes, no spotlight at night time in deer habitat, which includes powerful torches and head lamps.
But you can hunt ferals in deer habitat with .22LR and other non-deer-legal cartridges (not being allowed in deer habitat with non-deer calibers is a myth).
I don't know about NSW, but here we have minimum caliber and bullet weight for deer.
Smaller deer (hog, fallow, chital) require .243 and 80gn bullets minimum.
Larger deer (sambar, rusa, red) require .270 and 130gn bullets minimum.
Or a shotgun with sights using slugs.

http://www.gma.vic.gov.au/hunting/deer/where-to-hunt/deer-hunting-locations/deer-hunting-in-eastern-victoria

http://www.gma.vic.gov.au/hunting/deer/hunting-methods
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 05 Jun 2018, 8:51 pm

SA you need a hunting permit issued by DEWNR or whatever they call themselves now to any form of hunting anywhere. There's never been a permit for crown land. There are sections of what's called unalienated crown land where you can hunt,but buggered if you can find them. Absolutely ridiculous that we legally have to pay money to a government body to hunt private property,while said government body does its best to prevent hunting :(
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 05 Jun 2018, 10:36 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Stix wrote:

Wow...unbelievable...

I've never been into fishing, but as a kid in SA I had a hunting permit for crown land. But there wasn't any crown land within hundreds of kilometers of where I was. I'm surprised you need a hunting permit now that you can only hunt on private property. Are there deer in SA, and if there are, do you need a permit for them?

Plenty of deer if you have access to the right properties.
They are classed as feral so go fill your boots...!!

The govt have culled thousands of late...many thousands--spent time & money on air & spotlighting, & a select few in the "click" have been lucky enough to cut selected legs off of snimals, & leave untold thousands of dollars of good meat to rot...
I could say more...but...ill not spark that one up again...best i leave that on the ruger pistol page...!!

A well run society of course could have a scheme that allows hunters on to them, & also help feed the people less fortunate, but naturally the history of the corrupt mob of tyrants we've had here for the last decade n a half would over administer the entire scheme & fuk it up anyway...just as they have fukd everything else in this, unfortunately now, useless good for sweet FA state we call the South of Aust. :clap:

(Yep...i said what i really think...!!) :crazy:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 06 Jun 2018, 3:11 am

Don't worry mate,I've written in the local rag about the deplorable idea of those taxpayer funded culls,and sparked a short article by national parks stating how they couldn't possibly let people have the meat,much less let hunters pay to access the parks like Victoria does. Even tried to start an argument on ABC radio with the minister for the environment of the time. Nah,much easier for them to whinge about lack of money in their budget while leaving tens of thousands of dollars worth of meat rotting on the ground after paying tens of thousands if dollars to aerial cullers to shoot it !!!!!!
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 06 Jun 2018, 8:11 am

Jon79 wrote:This might be a stupid question...….What's the go for NSW shooters who want to shoot in the Vic State Forests are we able to apply for a game license from the Vic DPI to do so and do you need to book to shoot in them (cant find anything online)

make sure you check with the local DWELP dept to find out if the state forest is leased, if it is you have to get permission first :thumbsup:
/www2.delwp.vic.gov.au
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 06 Jun 2018, 8:43 am

marksman wrote:

make sure you check with the local DWELP dept to find out if the state forest is leased, if it is you have to get permission first :thumbsup:
/www2.delwp.vic.gov.au

That's true
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bent Arrow » 06 Jun 2018, 6:42 pm

bigpete wrote:Don't worry mate,I've written in the local rag about the deplorable idea of those taxpayer funded culls,and sparked a short article by national parks stating how they couldn't possibly let people have the meat,much less let hunters pay to access the parks like Victoria does. Even tried to start an argument on ABC radio with the minister for the environment of the time. Nah,much easier for them to whinge about lack of money in their budget while leaving tens of thousands of dollars worth of meat rotting on the ground after paying tens of thousands if dollars to aerial cullers to shoot it !!!!!!

Yep, bugs me big time. I regularly rattle the cage of a few people in DEWNR and parks. They could easily sell tags just like the do in the US and make some money to feed back into management of parks or threatened species management. Unfortunately just a bit too much like the conversation I had with SA Water peeps about licences to access reservoirs for freshwater fishing in SA, they said they had done the sums and it wasn't worth their effort given the multplle millions they already make from selling water. They had no interest in the public good that might come out of it.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey