Pig Sign?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Pig Sign?

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Jun 2018, 6:06 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:Do we have any turd detectives out there?

I have found what I think might be signs of Porky paying a visit to the house paddock.
I don't know how brazen they can get,
but these signs are less than 100m from the house. About 2km down the back there is obvious signs of activity with several areas completely ripped up but this is the first time I've seen anything up here.

The reason It's confusing me is there is only a tiny bit of ground disturbance next to the turds, but it is definitely not rabbit diggings.

Also the footprint is new since yesterday and the paddock has been empty for over a week.

Not sure where in NSW you are, depending on the numbers and the available feed, pigs can get pretty cheeky/game, several years ago on a friends place out on the Watercourse area Moree, we had a trap set right outside of his house fence, we used to catch heaps, when it was dry, it was nothing to see pigs, roos and emu's feeding on the lawns around the house during the night.

I remember driving up about 3am one morning and a mob of pigs ran from in front of the house yard, we managed to drop a couple before they ran out of sight into the scrub, after a couple of hours of hunting, we went back to the house for breakfast, on asking our friends did they hear us turn up, the reply was no, just thought WW3 had started. :roll:
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Jun 2018, 6:54 pm

Quiet a few years ago I worked on a station about 150klm away from where I live now and the station owners wife had a nice big flower
garden around the homestead
and being fully fenced she thought the critters couldn't get them
All of a sudden her garden was being demolished night after night so the boss got me to weld 600mm extensions on top of the posts and
we put 3 barbed wire runs on top
But this didn't stop the destruction over the months , they couldn't figure out how the pigs were getting and I was told it was fully fenced and
couldn't see a lot of the fence because of the shrubs but decided to look further and low and behold they had, had a dog flap put into the old
gate they now didn't use as their old dog had past on and shrubs had grown over it
And these pigs had found it and learned how to use it, so the boss said set up a pig trap, over the next two nights we caught twenty-six pigs
and how far was the trap from the house? well I could throw a cup of water into the trap
Pigs have been known to move in and camp under homesteads that haven't been lived in for a few weeks so its possible to find them right at your house
even if you haven't seen them for years because all of a sudden they'll be there
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Jun 2018, 7:11 pm

grandadbushy wrote:Quiet a few years ago I worked on a station about 150klm away from where I live now and the station owners wife had a nice big flower
garden around the homestead
and being fully fenced she thought the critters couldn't get them
All of a sudden her garden was being demolished night after night so the boss got me to weld 600mm extensions on top of the posts and
we put 3 barbed wire runs on top
But this didn't stop the destruction over the months , they couldn't figure out how the pigs were getting and I was told it was fully fenced and
couldn't see a lot of the fence because of the shrubs but decided to look further and low and behold they had, had a dog flap put into the old
gate they now didn't use as their old dog had past on and shrubs had grown over it
And these pigs had found it and learned how to use it, so the boss said set up a pig trap, over the next two nights we caught twenty-six pigs
and how far was the trap from the house? well I could throw a cup of water into the trap
Pigs have been known to move in and camp under homesteads that haven't been lived in for a few weeks so its possible to find them right at your house
even if you haven't seen them for years because all of a sudden they'll be there

They also like shearing quarters, especially just after shearing, plenty of interesting smells and scraps.
Member-Deleted

Post by RoginaJack » 11 Jun 2018, 9:36 pm

Hey Magnum65, small world - My oldest brother, his mate and me used to chase pigs out there at the watercourse in Moree back then with a couple of dogs and a 22 Winchester semi-auto that never extracted the fired shells, had to use a screwdriver.

Very Interesting days, loved it and a hot and cold bath at the old bore baths every night, we just walked across the railway lines with towels and a dressing gown..

Great town, was sorry to more on. :cry:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 13 Jun 2018, 9:09 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Hey Magnum65, small world - My oldest brother, his mate and me used to chase pigs out there at the watercourse in Moree back then with a couple of dogs and a 22 Winchester semi-auto that never extracted the fired shells, had to use a screwdriver.

Very Interesting days, loved it and a hot and cold bath at the old bore baths every night, we just walked across the railway lines with towels and a dressing gown..

Great town, was sorry to more on. :cry:

Mate I was there from 76 to 83, I used to hunt all around the area, I had access to properties from Mungindi around to Carinda/Walgett to Narrabri, around to Warialda and up to North Star, but the watercourse was my favourite, I had access on several properties in that area, the bore baths and many of the bores in the area were favourites after playing football.

If I wasn't hunting/pig chasing, I was playing football or chasing rodeos, I rode bulls and did a lot of bullfighting, mainly pro rodeo, and there was still plenty of time for partying, yep Moree back then was good to me. :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by RoginaJack » 14 Jun 2018, 11:56 am

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Cavey » 24 Jun 2018, 7:12 pm

Hey guys new to the page

Definitely pig tracks mate been huntin them since i was kid what area arw you on

Also has anyone ever seen pigs in wombat state forest in vic been told there out there yet to come across a mob yet alone one
Cavey
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 25 Jun 2018, 11:50 am

Cavey wrote:Hey guys new to the page

Definitely pig tracks mate been huntin them since i was kid what area arw you on

Also has anyone ever seen pigs in wombat state forest in vic been told there out there yet to come across a mob yet alone one

G'day Cavey
Southern Tablelands
There are pigs down the back half of the block, there's a little river and couple of hundred acres of virgin scrub down there, but that's 2km from the house paddock where I found that track, seems from what others have said, that it might be a young boar running around on his own.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 25 Jun 2018, 3:31 pm

hey Gaz
this is what I call pig sign :thumbsup:

taken yesterday :drinks:
on a property off the wombat
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 26 Jun 2018, 10:31 am

marksman wrote:hey Gaz
this is what I call pig sign :thumbsup:

taken yesterday :drinks:
on a property off the wombat

:thumbsup:
I reckon so
Were you carrying?
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 26 Jun 2018, 10:56 am

fully tooled up, roughly 20 to go :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 26 Jun 2018, 12:01 pm

:clap: Outstanding
:drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1