Lake Eildon

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Lake Eildon

Post by Grizzle » 18 Jun 2018, 5:27 pm

So, heading up there this week for a few days fishing, hope stalk sambar. Problem is, websites are very unclear as to where I can camp.. original plan was to launch boat at Goughs Bay and head to Taylor’s Creek camp area. My understanding was that the lake itself and a two to three hundred metre buffer to the tree line was not deemed n ational park, so I could take faithfull puppy with me, but now I’m unsure. Taylor’s Creek is on the edge of the allowed hunting area. Puppy would remain in camp with a mate while I stalk. Any clues guys? Is there somewhere else I can do this?
Ruger Precision Rimfire .22
Henry .22WMR Lever
Ruger American .17HMR
Fabarm Gamma Lux 32" 12g O/U
1945 Lithgow SMLE .303
Tikka T3 204
Browning A-Bolt 30.06
Anschutz Match 54 .22 S/S Target
Grizzle
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Lake Eildon

Post by YoungBuck » 18 Jun 2018, 6:45 pm

Give the local ranger office a call mate. When I went up there last year just for a fish and camp, I didn't realise majority of the place is pay to camp, and you are in tight little designated 'camp' areas like a little tent city... There are some bush camping areas in the forest I think on the south side.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Grizzle » 18 Jun 2018, 7:55 pm

There are plenty of no pay areas to camp just out of Gough,s Bay, been there before. My problem is having easy access to hunting areas, but being able to take the puppy. They are closing off so many areas to us guys now
Henry .22WMR Lever
Ruger American .17HMR
1945 Lithgow SMLE .303
Tikka T3 204
Browning A-Bolt 30.06
Grizzle
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by tracks » 18 Jun 2018, 8:20 pm

leave the dog at home mate, apart from being a state park there is a big major problem with wild dogs in the whole area, by law there is no camping below the high water mark but having spent 40 odd years hunting Eildon (mainly by boat) camp where you like just keep out of sight and you will have no problems, the tracks which you can access the hunting area are very limited and are now closed for the season, check with the Parks Victoria web site, and check the areas you are allowed to hunt, never heard of this 300mtrs buffer mate thats not right, the place is national/state park all the way down to the water, head up Big River arm find a quiet cove, tuck ya self out of sight from passing boats set ya camp up and go hunting, plenty of deer around this time of the year,,
tracks
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Grizzle » 18 Jun 2018, 10:42 pm

Thanks guys, figured that would be the case, they are closing everything from us. Will head up anyway, talk to locals and se whats what, I’m afraid I have this thing, if puppy can’t go, either do I. I’ll head up and see what I can find
Henry .22WMR Lever
Ruger American .17HMR
1945 Lithgow SMLE .303
Tikka T3 204
Browning A-Bolt 30.06
Grizzle
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by tracks » 19 Jun 2018, 11:42 am

They are not closing everything off mate this is the best state in Australia for hunting access and firearms laws, dogs have never been allowed in National forrests or Parks, when you are out stalking Sambar and a couple of wild dogs start stalking you think about how those dogs got there in the first place, thats the reason dogs are out, hound hunting is a different ball game, and are restricted to certain areas and seasons and the guys running them are dedicated in looking after them and never leave one behind after a hunt, where as those wild dogs up there are escapees from idiots who have no idea and have caused so much trouble for Parks Victoria and native wildlife as well as the farmers on the fringe of the Parks for that reason they are banned.
tracks
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey