Are there any rabbits left in Victoria?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Are there any rabbits left in Victoria?

Post by NTSOG » 20 Jun 2018, 6:15 pm

G'day,

I live South of Ballarat and have not seen a bunny for a very long time. All we have on/around our property are a few mad hares, lots of wood duck and a bunch of chicken-stealing foxes - they have been quite successful locally. Has the new Myxo and/or Calci virus wiped them all out?

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Re: Are there any rabbits left in Victoria?

Post by Wombat » 20 Jun 2018, 6:33 pm

There are still pockets of them around, much fewer than past years though.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by marksman » 20 Jun 2018, 6:38 pm

still around in my area
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 20 Jun 2018, 6:44 pm

Depending on the variety,,,, I think most of the two legged ones got jobs in some fancy building on top of a hill in Cantberra, and emigrated.
:lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 20 Jun 2018, 7:11 pm

"I think most of the two legged ones got jobs in some fancy building on top of a hill in Cantberra, and emigrated."

I thought that mob up north was a bunch of silly buggers, not silly bunnies??

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 20 Jun 2018, 9:11 pm

Maybe the great wall is finally working at keeping the rabbits in
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 20 Jun 2018, 9:27 pm

NTSOG wrote:G'day,

I live South of Ballarat and have not seen a bunny for a very long time. All we have on/around our property are a few mad hares, lots of wood duck and a bunch of chicken-stealing foxes - they have been quite successful locally. Has the new Myxo and/or Calci virus wiped them all out?

Jim

We had a handful down here (around Traralgon) until 2015. Didn't see any at all for a year or more, now we have some very small groups that don't seem to be increasing in population at all. Lots and lots of foxes around despite the lack of rabbits.
Calici is definitely throughout our area as we've lost some meat rabbits to it.

See lots of rabbits close to Frankston area, but they know they can't be shot around there.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by PaddyT » 21 Jun 2018, 8:17 am

Not just Vic- very few around Sydney these days, havent seen scat for a good 2 years around work and a live rabbit in about 4, calici seems to be very effective round here
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 21 Jun 2018, 9:12 am

There is two at work they hop around, one has Calici the poor bugger. Shame I can’t put the poor guy out of his misery, pretty sad to watch.
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 21 Jun 2018, 9:46 am

NTSOG wrote:G'day,

Jim

I think they must have moved to Queensland, I am seeing more and more up here, although this dry spell seems to have slowed them down a bit.
Member-Deleted

Post by Gaznazdiak » 21 Jun 2018, 10:40 am

Mr.Seacucumber wrote:There is two at work they hop around, one has Calici the poor bugger. Shame I can’t put the poor guy out of his misery, pretty sad to watch.

He might have Myxo if he is looking crook, but Calicivirus kills them so quickly they show little more than a runny nose
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Jun 2018, 11:06 am

Mr.Seacucumber wrote:There is two at work they hop around, one has Calici the poor bugger. Shame I can’t put the poor guy out of his misery, pretty sad to watch.

In all seriousness, I didnt know the effects of calici.
If it is as you say, where are the GREENIES and PETA now. :unknown: :silent: :silent: :silent:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by NTSOG » 21 Jun 2018, 12:45 pm

" … where are the GREENIES and PETA now?"

They're probably meeting with some VEGANS and deciding which steak house to raid tonight. They won't be doing any honest work.

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 21 Jun 2018, 12:55 pm

Seen a few around in the state forests i frequent, no where near as many on local farmland though
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by YoungBuck » 23 Jun 2018, 9:25 am

I see bugger all on public land. But where I live, each night I walk they dog I'm counting easily two to three dozen eyes with the spotty I take with me. Problem is the land is owned by the developer so shooting will never be permitted.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Elmer » 26 Jun 2018, 1:29 pm

Still some left on my patch BUT they have been very thin due to lack of rain...On a brighter note, a paddock I shoot on with a good sized couple of warrens a few weeks ago I counted two, last Saturday just before dusk I counted 60 WOOHOO!....and yes a lot more foxes than what I seen in previous years.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by southwest shooter » 26 Jun 2018, 2:16 pm

Seen plenty down past Geelong .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey