Minimum caliber ?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Minimum caliber ?

Post by Die Judicii » 20 Jun 2018, 6:54 pm

I (think) that the .222 was listed as the minimum recommended caliber for shooting the smaller variety of roos.
But with the advent of some of the hot and highly "explosive" rounds like the .204 , .17 etc, has the minimum been updated ?

Head shots with any of these mentioned will turn their heads to mush encapsulated in skin.

Anyone up to date in the roo shooting environment ?
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Minimum caliber ?

Post by bigpete » 20 Jun 2018, 7:16 pm

Screenshot_2018-06-20-18-45-52.png
There ya go
Screenshot_2018-06-20-18-45-52.png (296.29 KiB) Viewed 6760 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by albat » 20 Jun 2018, 9:00 pm

never heard of a '0' grain projectile in .224 must be the new go to projectile!
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 20 Jun 2018, 9:08 pm

bigpete wrote:
Screenshot_2018-06-20-18-45-52.png

.222R is .222 Rimmed surely?
If they meant .222Rem why didn't they put .223R?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 20 Jun 2018, 9:49 pm

Im pretty sure it means .222-as in the cartridge, & not singling out 222 rimmed...so you can use either as they are the same cartridge.

& id like to see a roo escape the wollup of a 20 cal 32gr Zmax to the noggin...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 20 Jun 2018, 9:53 pm

Stix wrote:Im pretty sure it means .222-as in the cartridge, & not singling out 222 rimmed...so you can use either as they are the same cartridge.

Then why append an R to it?
Written by people that know nothing about firearms I guess.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 20 Jun 2018, 10:03 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Stix wrote:Im pretty sure it means .222-as in the cartridge, & not singling out 222 rimmed...so you can use either as they are the same cartridge.

Then why append an R to it?

To confuse the Winchester fans that want to shoot roos with their .222 Remington chambered Winchester mod 70... :lol:

Who the hell knows...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 20 Jun 2018, 10:49 pm

Stix wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Then why append an R to it?

To confuse the Winchester fans that want to shoot roos with their .222 Remington chambered Winchester mod 70... :lol:

Who the hell knows...?

Now, that makes sense :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 21 Jun 2018, 5:58 pm

I don't know,I thought it was pretty f***ing easy to understand really
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 21 Jun 2018, 7:42 pm

Lol
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 21 Jun 2018, 11:07 pm

bigpete wrote:I don't know,I thought it was pretty f***ing easy to understand really

Sure, but in a legal document, you want to be exact or people end up in court fighting ridiculous charges.
.222R refers to .222 Rimmed, always has done.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 22 Jun 2018, 8:13 am

bladeracer wrote:
bigpete wrote:I don't know,I thought it was pretty f***ing easy to understand really

Sure, but in a legal document, you want to be exact or people end up in court fighting ridiculous charges.

So I quess 17R refers to a 17 Hornet then? As It is a rimmed cartridge. And not the 17 Remington?
However the 22H for a Hornet is also listed.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 22 Jun 2018, 8:16 am

Cooper wrote:
bladeracer wrote:.222R refers to .222 Rimmed, always has done.

So I quess 17R refers to a 17 Hornet then? As It is a rimmed cartridge. And not the 17 Remington?
However the 22H for a Hornet is also listed.

Like I said, written by somebody who doesn't know the subject :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 22 Jun 2018, 1:08 pm

bladeracer wrote:

I always thought the R referred to the fact it was a Remington Cartridge design, like the 204R is for Ruger :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jun 2018, 12:01 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Sure, but in a legal document, you want to be exact or people end up in court fighting ridiculous charges.

I always thought the R referred to the fact it was a Remington Cartridge design, like the 204R is for Ruger :unknown:

Nope, a capital R indicates a rimmed cartridge, just like 7.62x54R, .222R, etc. I don't think ".204R" is an official designation, just somebody's abbreviation.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 23 Jun 2018, 1:33 pm

I hardly think they're going to write down every single form or variation of cartridge that can be used. It would be almost impossible to include every single variation of a 22 centre fire rifle,and considering that's meant as minimum calibre guide,definitely impossible to include every single calibre above that in power.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jun 2018, 1:41 pm

bigpete wrote:I hardly think they're going to write down every single form or variation of cartridge that can be used. It would be almost impossible to include every single variation of a 22 centre fire rifle,and considering that's meant as minimum calibre guide,definitely impossible to include every single calibre above that in power.

I never suggested they should, I'm saying the opposite. What they have written is ".222 Rimmed" specifically, meaning you can't use .222 Remington. In a legal document it's a bloody poor effort.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 23 Jun 2018, 1:56 pm

Stop being obtuse. We all know exactky what they mean
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jun 2018, 1:58 pm

bigpete wrote:Stop being obtuse. We all know exactky what they mean

How am I being obtuse? Anybody that knows even the basics about cartridges understands what a capital R refers to.
Will that stand up in court though when some wanker charges you over it?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 23 Jun 2018, 2:28 pm

Anyone who knows that the R stands for rimmed will also understand that its a guideline for minimum calibres and that 222 rimmed and 222 are virtually identical in power.
Anyway,last f***ing time I try to help people out here.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jun 2018, 2:41 pm

bigpete wrote:Anyone who knows that the R stands for rimmed will also understand that its a guideline for minimum calibres and that 222 rimmed and 222 are virtually identical in power.
Anyway,last f***ing time I try to help people out here.

I know the cartridges are identical in performance, but that's not relevant.
Why does my pointing out an error in a document that you have nothing to do with affect your willingness to continue helping people?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 23 Jun 2018, 5:49 pm

I suspect those abbreviations (R, H etc.) maybe a flow on from times when it was called the "222 Remington"...
And the 17 R is prob 17 Rem as well.
The ".22H" probably indicates 'hornet' as min...

As is suggested by the document (& Pete's mentioned) its min cal/cartridge...& i cant see that someone legally culling roos or wallabies will get "confused" from 'not understanding the requirements' & therefor charged, especially given the knowledge required for paperwork submitted for approval to cull.

There are holes through all kinds of firearms related regs...arent we used to that...?

If i were culling deer for dewnr (sa govt) i cant shoot a donkey with my 7-08 as min is 30 cal...but do you rekon if i was with a park ranger on a goat cull & a feral donkey stood 100 yds in front of us he'd grab his digital calipers out & tell me not to shoot it cos im missing half a millimetre...?
More likely he/she'd have me booked for NOT toppling it over...!!

And if someone is stupid enough to go culling Roos with a 17 hornet after submitting paperwork they deserve to get caught booked...!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 23 Jun 2018, 6:06 pm

Stix wrote:If i were culling deer for dewnr (sa govt) i cant shoot a donkey with my 7-08 as min is 30 cal...but do you rekon if i was with a park ranger on a goat cull & a feral donkey stood 100 yds in front of us he'd grab his digital calipers out & tell me not to shoot it cos im missing half a millimetre...?
More likely he/she'd have me booked for NOT toppling it over...!!

I'm quite sure the shooter knows what he's using, the problem comes when some little Hitler ranger tries to enforce such a rule by the book.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jun 2018, 7:51 pm

bladeracer wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Sure, but in a legal document, you want to be exact or people end up in court fighting ridiculous charges.

Nope, a capital R indicates a rimmed cartridge, just like 7.62x54R, .222R, etc. I don't think ".204R" is an official designation, just somebody's abbreviation.

Cheers mate, we live and learn. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by SCJ429 » 24 Jun 2018, 8:54 pm

I always thought that .224 was 5.56mm, they say 5.69?
You obviously cannot shoot them with a 22 Hornet unless you use a .224 projectile.
Why not say "e.g. 222 etc..." Does it also means that the only 204 you can use is a 204 Ruger, wildcats are not allowed?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jun 2018, 8:22 am

SCJ429 wrote:I always thought that .224 was 5.56mm, they say 5.69?
You obviously cannot shoot them with a 22 Hornet unless you use a .224 projectile.
Why not say "e.g. 222 etc..." Does it also means that the only 204 you can use is a 204 Ruger, wildcats are not allowed?

Nice to see somebody else understands the importance of getting this stuff right when writing laws :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jun 2018, 8:23 am

bigfellascott wrote:Cheers mate, we live and learn. :thumbsup:

No point in livin' if you ain't a'learnin' :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Midwestman » 25 Jul 2018, 8:17 pm

if in NSW you NEED TAGS too shoot roo's even on your OWN LAND,thou it has been lifted in drought affected areas for humane reasons,there are way too many,but if you get caught with one in back off the ute for dog food you could still be in trouble.
carl gustov 03 mauser 6.5x55
savage 223
Midwestman
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 25 Jul 2018, 9:17 pm

:lol:
Speaking of "holes" in legal documents,,,,,,,,,,,,

Check this pic out.

A classic F@CK UP by the SA Police.

Three months (yes, 3 months) AFTER a family tragedy occurred, the local copper from where I used to live, was instructed from his hierarchy to come and take my firearms.

When I asked why,,,,,,,,,,, he apologized, and said to me that after what had happened there were fears that I might "top" myself.

I just laughed and said Your pretty slow off the mark, and besides, if I was gonna do that,,,, I would have done it 3 months ago.

But he still had his orders to take the firearms, which he did.

After this monumental stuff up was sorted out a week later, and when I went to collect them, these are the stickers that were attached to each f/arm.

"FIREARM (IMITATION)" :wtf: :wtf: :shock: :shock: :crazy: :crazy: Not to forget the "BOLD ACTION" :lol: :lol:

To add insult to injury, some of my firearms were also damaged.
100_4808.JPG
100_4808.JPG (525.51 KiB) Viewed 5977 times
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 26 Jul 2018, 7:25 am

Midwestman wrote:if in NSW you NEED TAGS too shoot roo's even on your OWN LAND,thou it has been lifted in drought affected areas for humane reasons,there are way too many,but if you get caught with one in back off the ute for dog food you could still be in trouble.

I have been thinking about forming a group to pressure the state government into paying agistment fees for harbouring THEIR kangaroos.
They happily splash money around to just about everyone else.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey