Big cats sightings back in the news

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Big cats sightings back in the news

Post by Bigjobss » 21 Jun 2018, 8:43 am

https://www.news.com.au/technology/scie ... b7b5c23ca4

Let's hear the theories and stories
My old man swears black and blue he saw one in Kinglake in the 80s!
Bigjobss

Re: Big cats sightings back in the news

Post by Daddybang » 21 Jun 2018, 9:04 am

Saw the footage last night. ..just looks like a large feral to me. I've seen some bloody big cats out west and thru central aus(around kulgera) and down on the nullabor!!! :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 21 Jun 2018, 10:09 am

Bummer, looking for the part where the dog s**t itself and the terrified look on the Teens face! :violin: :lol: :lol:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 21 Jun 2018, 11:44 am

Puts me in mind of the Emmaville Panther :twisted: 8-)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 21 Jun 2018, 12:57 pm

saw one of those panthers a while back,came at me all snarling and spitting,then i walked right through it ,they don't exist, just big cats :P :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by cracker » 21 Jun 2018, 4:56 pm

they are out there, they are just big domestic cats, mate saw one in kinglake west like 5 years ago said it was the size of a small lab, i was in front on my bike him behind i saw the wallaby it was chasing just not the cat

i dont know how long "Felis silvestris catus or Felis catus" has been let go in the wild but you could say they first came out with the europeans... so couple hundred years of evolutionary pressure could lead to some large feral cats youd imagine
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 21 Jun 2018, 5:22 pm

Ah, the old Emmaville panther, now that's a blast from the past!

Had a shooting mate in Yamba whose parents and family owned property up that way. great for Fallow deer, the odd pig and heaps of bunnies..
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Bigjobss » 21 Jun 2018, 6:16 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Bummer, looking for the part where the dog s**t itself and the terrified look on the Teens face! :violin: :lol: :lol:

:lol:
Bigjobss

Post by Wm.Traynor » 21 Jun 2018, 7:17 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Ah, the old Emmaville panther, now that's a blast from the past!

Had a shooting mate in Yamba whose parents and family owned property up that way. great for Fallow deer, the odd pig and heaps of bunnies..

We (I) could all do with mates like that, panther or no panther.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 21 Jun 2018, 8:46 pm

Yep, did a few trips up there, plenty of Fallow in the lucene but never sighted hide nor hair of the big black pussy.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Bent Arrow » 21 Jun 2018, 10:27 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Ah, the old Emmaville panther, now that's a blast from the past!

Which Yamba are we talking about?
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by darwindingo » 21 Jun 2018, 10:31 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Yep, did a few trips up there, plenty of Fallow in the lucene but never sighted hide nor hair of the big black pussy.

Never mind, keep trying RJ. ;)

Btw.. There are more likely places you could visit if that's the kind of thing you really want to see mate.. :P

:lol: :drinks: :lol:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bladeracer » 21 Jun 2018, 11:29 pm

I shot a huge pure white cat in 1984, far bigger than any fox I've ever taken.
I'm sure these "big cats" exist, but they're just feral domestic cats I reckon.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Jun 2018, 1:00 am

I shot a cat whilst on a station shooting dogs ,i'm 6ft1in and when I lifted the cat by the butt of its tail its rump was level with my hip
and its head was on the ground
This would have made it about 800mm to 1m long it was ginger in colour and its teeth were 20mm or so in size it was quiet amazing to see a cat of that size
(no pics so didn't happen ) so I kept its skin for years till my dogs got it down from the shed and chewed it up while I was away
When I told people they must have thought I had lost my marbles but those that saw the skin were taken aback at its size
I've shot a few since but not as big as this one but ones big enough that if there was two I think they would be quiet capable to pulling down a fair sized sheep
without too much effort
Member-Deleted

Post by bladeracer » 22 Jun 2018, 1:32 am

I carry a luggage scale when I'm hunting, I like to keep track of the weight of foxes in the area.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Matt 86 » 22 Jun 2018, 8:26 am

Hello all
First reply on a post. I have taken a few big cats that are feral with the bow. But one stands out to me most. A big black one he was at least 4 times the size of a normal cat. He was the biggest cat I’ve ever seen. But I’ve herd of bigger but never seen any or pictures. Apparently two big panthers escaped/let free in Victoria by the circus back in the day but I don’t know much on that but if you do please let us know thank you
Matt 86
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 22 Jun 2018, 3:36 pm

Bent Arrow.
Yamba, Northern NSW, on the Clarence River opposite Iluka. :)

Darwindingo.
I live in hope looking...... :shock:
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Bent Arrow » 22 Jun 2018, 6:36 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Bent Arrow.
Yamba, Northern NSW, on the Clarence River opposite Iluka:

Ahh. That makes more sense.... There's a Yamba here, I'd be pretty surprised if there were fallow there in any numbers.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 22 Jun 2018, 9:29 pm

:( bit of a bummer.

Up around Glen innes there used to be heaps of Fallow, bred up in the National Park.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Pythonkeeper » 22 Jun 2018, 9:45 pm

I’ve seen my share of big ferals over the years and for some reason the black ones always look much bigger than what they actually are, particularly at night or in low light. I can see how people could mistake them for something like a panther.
Do I think there’s actually panthers or similar running around out there? Who knows, stranger things have happened.

I had a pet feral cat that I grew up with from pretty much birth till I was 18, the old man pulled him out of a log while out hunting when he was a wee kitten he grew to be a monster, from memory he was around 14-15 kg lean, I remember the odd dog around the neighbourhood had a go at him and they would always come off second best, he ruled the streets back in the day. He used to walk me to school everyday and be waiting for me of an afternoon to walk me home, will always miss that cat..
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bigjobss » 22 Jun 2018, 11:19 pm

Pythonkeeper wrote:I’ve seen my share of big ferals over the years and for some reason the black ones always look much bigger than what they actually are, particularly at night or in low light. I can see how people could mistake them for something like a panther.
Do I think there’s actually panthers or similar running around out there? Who knows, stranger things have happened.

I had a pet feral cat that I grew up with from pretty much birth till I was 18, the old man pulled him out of a log while out hunting when he was a wee kitten he grew to be a monster, from memory he was around 14-15 kg lean, I remember the odd dog around the neighbourhood had a go at him and they would always come off second best, he ruled the streets back in the day. He used to walk me to school everyday and be waiting for me of an afternoon to walk me home, will always miss that cat..

Feral or not a childhood pet is a special thing, sounds like one hell of a cat.
Bigjobss

Post by RoginaJack » 05 Oct 2018, 4:22 pm

Observation... :geek:
Had a feral Molly or Queen hanging around the back paddock the other week and the Boss remarked about the disappearance of the turtle neck doves and Peewees from the front yard, Actually, i've noticed the Noisy Miners going of their brains along the tree line but just thought it was the old carpet snake starting to move around in the warmer weather, so pussey had to go - yep trapped. :)
Next thing up pops a tom and same result, 1/2 can Aldi cat food in the trap and Bingo. :)
All was quiet on the home front until this week when Tomcat No. 2 appeared on the scene. :huh: No worries, same scenario but no go. :huh: Target TC would approach the trap, walk around it, smell in from a few feet away but would not go upto the trap. :unknown:
A check revealed that the carpet lining the floor (can't have pussy getting sore feet from walking in the tap) was the same as used for the previous tomcat. So change carpet, set trap and early hours of this morning, Bingo! success, one very old, angry and battle scared pussy.
Has anyone else came across this, re tom cats refusing to enter the trap with the smell of another tom still there :unknown:
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 05 Oct 2018, 4:58 pm

I have had a feral coming into the house at night and pinching my dog's leftovers(I leave the front door open so my old dog can go out for a pee) so I started leaving food on the veranda to get him/her used to eating there.
I hired a trap from the Lands Dept 10 days ago but no luck, so I gave it a good hit with the Gerni, still won't go in. Big bastard's too cluey.
Cheeky bugger came into the lounge room last week while I was watching telly, looked at me and had a sniff of the empty dog dish and wandered back out.
It's got to go though, all the small ground nesting passerines have disappeared. There is normally dozens of pairs of Scrub and Fairy Wrens here year round and the mongrel has wiped them out.
Attachments
PTDC0180.jpg
PTDC0180.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 5730 times
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 05 Oct 2018, 5:12 pm

Suggest Air Rifle as trap method...
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 05 Oct 2018, 5:45 pm

selective use of 1080 in the food your leaving gazza, it's not the nicest stuff, but think of all the wildlife the b@rstard cats wiped out
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Oct 2018, 6:15 pm

I just heard about this today. Need it in every state.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/quee ... 278e117d05
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 05 Oct 2018, 7:08 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I just heard about this today. Need it in every state.

It's about time, and if domestic cats get taken as well, tough tit, they should have been kept inside.

My sister has 2 cats that have only ever been outside the house to go to the vet. The buggers are as fat as mud and spoiled rotten, with towers and tunnels and toys. If people can't be bothered they shouldn't have them, eh?
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 05 Oct 2018, 8:41 pm

Sorry, Bigrich, definitely NOT a fan of 1080...
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Stix » 05 Oct 2018, 11:48 pm

Well i think you should let me at em...because i will give the pussy dignity in death...

Like this one im half way through dignifying...:lol:

2018-10-05 21.15.09.jpg
2018-10-05 21.15.09.jpg (1.8 MiB) Viewed 5698 times

2018-10-05 21.15.09.jpg
2018-10-05 21.15.09.jpg (1.8 MiB) Viewed 5698 times
Attachments
2018-10-05 21.15.48.jpg
2018-10-05 21.15.48.jpg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 5698 times
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 06 Oct 2018, 6:27 am

Oldbloke wrote:I just heard about this today. Need it in every state.

+1
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control