Total Newbie

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Total Newbie

Post by thumpy » 24 Jun 2018, 4:19 pm

Hi Folks,

I am new to these forums and brand new to the world of shooting.
I live in Perth, Western Australia and after doing a fair amount of reading and other research I would like to try hunting my own meat [wild pigs, rabbits, goat, camel]. I am on the cusp of joining a shooting club so I can practice target shooting not just hit the bush without any prior skills or training.

In my reading, I have found the only way to really hunt in WA is on a private property, but I haven't been able to find any groups of like-minded people or clubs that are already doing this, so I was wondering if any exist? I would like to get involved with a group so I can learn what I don't know from people with the experience, also when it comes to skinning and butchering the animals I have a loose understanding of the process but again it would be great to learn from someone with real-world skills.

I am yet to purchase a rifle, I like to understand things as much as possible before investing in it, in saying that this is something I have been considering for a long time and I am now eager to give it a go.

Thanks for reading,
Thumpy
thumpy
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Total Newbie

Post by SCJ429 » 24 Jun 2018, 11:06 pm

Start with a quality 22LR rimfire, learn to shoot at the range practice prone, seated and offhand. Try a 3P or field rifle competition to see how it is done. Once you can hit what you are aiming at you can move on to bunnies and the rest is up to you. Good luck and practice often.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bills Shed » 25 Jun 2018, 5:59 am

Welcome in all respects, the forum, shooting and everything that comes with this obsession. Good luck with your endeavours.
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by tom604 » 25 Jun 2018, 6:08 am

all of the above plus a good scope, min of a 3x9, more if you want to get serious with 3p, join SSAA,, they are the biggest club in Australia and have a conservation and animal management (feral eradication) sub group that you can join. Buy once cry once as in buy the best .22 and glass that you can afford it will save you money in the long run. :thumbsup: Then you can go to centrefires and really start spending :cry: :lol: :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by eddahenry » 25 Jun 2018, 10:01 am

I too am in Perth ,, im a member of Perth Metro Field and game , we shoot clay targets most weekends alternating between Whitman park and waneroo and every Thursday and every second Sunday of the month we have access to a rifle range at waneroo , once you are tested and qualify we do monthly hunting opportunities throughout WA for goats pigs , bird control and such
You should just come out and say hello and see what you think
eddahenry
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Stix » 25 Jun 2018, 10:13 am

Hey thumpy...thats a pretty good offer from eddahenry...
You're mad if you dont go...!!!

eddahenry wrote:I too am in Perth ,, im a member of Perth Metro Field and game , we shoot clay targets most weekends alternating between Whitman park and waneroo and every Thursday and every second Sunday of the month we have access to a rifle range at waneroo , once you are tested and qualify we do monthly hunting opportunities throughout WA for goats pigs , bird control and such

:thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by thumpy » 26 Jun 2018, 9:21 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone I appreciate the feedback.
thumpy
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by thumpy » 26 Jun 2018, 9:22 pm

eddahenry wrote:I too am in Perth ,, im a member of Perth Metro Field and game , we shoot clay targets most weekends alternating between Whitman park and waneroo and every Thursday and every second Sunday of the month we have access to a rifle range at waneroo , once you are tested and qualify we do monthly hunting opportunities throughout WA for goats pigs , bird control and such

This sounds amazing I will definitely get in touch with you once I am qualified I am currently in Bunbury but moving back to Perth in September!
thumpy
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by eddahenry » 27 Jun 2018, 9:35 am

thumpy wrote:

This sounds amazing I will definitely get in touch with you once I am qualified I am currently in Bunbury but moving back to Perth in September!

No worries :thumbsup:
eddahenry
Private
Private

Western Australia

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey