What cartridge chambering would you take

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

What cartridge chambering would you take

Post by Stix » 24 Jun 2018, 4:49 pm

On a property i tip foxes over on, lies a patch of relatively thickly wooded and sandy mallee scrub that covers an area of approx some 2 square km's.

I only ever skoot around the outside of it at dusk on the lookout for bunnies to snipe from distance.

Looking at it from Google Earth, it appears to have some game trails running through it, with a couple of natural water points (clearly defined areas that lay at the bottom of hills/slopes that have formed natural dams/where water runs to, but given this is sandy terrain probably rarely holds any water).

The farm is your typical cropping/sheep enterprise that is not necessarily tightly run, so what look to be game trails on Google earth may very well be from a few stray sheep, &/or foxes/roos.

But i figure its worth suiting up for a trek in & investigating, on the outside chance there are goats in there, or even (more unlikely) deer. (i doubt it, but i rekon its worth a look because my guess is that no human has been in there for many many years, if not decades).
To do this will take the best part of a day, so i want to go in the best equipped in terms of fire power.
I will undoubtedly spring up a few foxes, but my main purpose will be to see what wildlife lies within, & whether there is a meat source.

So my question is, what would you take in with you...
A shotty with full field loads of BB's...? (if i took the 12G id need to fit it out with a strap, which it currently lacks)
A small centrefire with some penetration-say the likes of 22-250...?
A decent all-round hunting outfit the likes of 308...?

Or put differently, do i cart a 12G O/U with me knowing the most likelyhood of a shot will be on a fox thats already seen me, or do i take a hunting centrefire in case i do come across a small mob of pre-roasted legs & slow cooked backstrap...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: What cartridge chambering would you take

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Jun 2018, 5:11 pm

I reckon I'd put a game camera in there first to see what might be wondering around in there and then get in there with the appropriate cal/firearm to sort it out.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by JimTom » 24 Jun 2018, 5:25 pm

.243 would cover most of it. If you don't have one I'd go the .308 instead. Not much that won't stop.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 24 Jun 2018, 5:37 pm

12g with some slugs as well
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 24 Jun 2018, 6:12 pm

I would go with the 243 or the 6.5 mm depending on what you have. Do you think there could be pigs? those two are really good accuracy wise and can go out to the 300yrds that most would consider the max distance for taking a shot and at that distance dialing or big holdovers are not needed so much. There are also some good hunting rounds that are match accurate.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Wombat » 24 Jun 2018, 6:41 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I reckon I'd put a game camera in there first to see what might be wondering around in there and then get in there with the appropriate cal/firearm to sort it out.

I'd carry the 12g in to one of the waterholes while setting it up :thumbsup:
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 24 Jun 2018, 7:01 pm

Game cameras are going to be your friend. You could walk around there for a few days and not see much. I'm sure you'd be aware that sheep and roos make pretty defined game. trails through mallee.........
Last edited by Bent Arrow on 24 Jun 2018, 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Col » 24 Jun 2018, 7:13 pm

FWIW if you could get hold of a drone and fly it over the patch, then you will have a bit of an idea on the pads if they are sheep goat or game pads. Also would help with placing of game cameras.
If there are pigs or goats etc I would go the 243 as it covers most game.
Good luck.
Col
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 24 Jun 2018, 7:52 pm

Thanks guys...

Yes i am taking the trail cams in there...but the trek will occupy me for some time given the terrain (some areas are so thick they will be impenetrable so ill have to navigate my way in to the water points & back out again-almost like traversing the spurs on a goat hike if you will, except in thick wooded rolling sand dune mallee country-i cant see ill be in there for anything less than 4 hrs if i have even just a little look around).

No pigs in there (well i dont know that for sure-more likely deer but even thats incredibly unlikely through the mid mallee areas of SA that i know of...

Its thick wooded mallee scrub...so no long shots...it will be fleeting glimpses of the odd fox bunny & hare that have already seen me, & if there are goats in there, maybe a 50yd shot at longest in the more open areas.

Big Pete's exceptionally long winded & unnecessarily overly detailed explanation of a 12G & having some slug loads on hand is a good one i hadnt thought of...! Although i dont have any slug loads at present.

So its about the choice of cartridge for this first trip in, im curious what you're preference of might be... :drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 24 Jun 2018, 8:01 pm

Federal power shocks are the go
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 24 Jun 2018, 8:10 pm

Col...the drone idea is a cracker...!!! :clap:
I hadnt thought of that one.

The farmer has a drone...whether or not he'd lend it to me is another matter....but this terrain is heavy, so it will still be hard to make some areas out..
If i find signs of goats ill definately get the drone off him, or get him out there with me to do a fly over...!! :thumbsup:

Having said that, i still want to go in there & am very much looking forward to it (when time permits)...a lot of the fun is about the exploring for me. I drive around different areas & stop to get out for a walk about & look.
If i take "shooters" or people who just want a quick thrill with me they get annoyed at me stopping to explore--to them its just bushes or a fenced padock...but thats how i find out what is where...for example i know where working fox dens are because i explore & look for their runs during the day...i also know there are foxes in an area that the farmer thinks there isnt.
Last time out i put a ewe down (she was cactus & dying a slow death) in a remote part of a farm & i could put the farmer right on it--i never would have come across the sheep if not for exploring options & different terrain...& i think farmers appreciate that you are also an eye for them & can report back to them about the happenings on their land that they may otherwise miss....i digress...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 24 Jun 2018, 8:25 pm

First up,,,,,,,,,,, Don't suppose you know a friendly mustering pilot and muster chopper ???????

My 2 cents worth as your unlikely to have any "long" shots would be an under/over 12g/.223 (or .243) Combo.

Failing that, I'd be happy with the old faithful 30/30 Lever.

:thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 24 Jun 2018, 8:42 pm

416 Rigby, you never know what is hiding in there. Drones are a great idea pity I spent all my money on powder and projectiles.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by deanp100 » 24 Jun 2018, 9:07 pm

Might there be dragons.??
If no-one has ever seen anything bigger than a fox in the area it is unlikely to be a secret population hidden in there. It is only a couple of square kms. Take anything that goes bang an$ see what happens. The Ute won’t be far away if you need something else.
This isn’t Jurassic Park.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 24 Jun 2018, 9:30 pm

45-70 guide gun. could be velocer-raptors hiding in there ! turn your scope down on ya 7-08 stix old mate ?
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 24 Jun 2018, 9:42 pm

Every time I have run into a dragon I have been very pleased I was carriying a big bore. You never know when you need to poke a big hole in something. Yes, you could take a 223 but that sounds like something everyone else does.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bent Arrow » 24 Jun 2018, 9:58 pm

12 g with bb in one barrel and a slug in the other. :-)
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Stix » 24 Jun 2018, 11:05 pm

Die Judicii wrote:First up,,,,,,,,,,, Don't suppose you know a friendly mustering pilot and muster chopper ???????

My 2 cents worth as your unlikely to have any "long" shots would be an under/over 12g/.223 (or .243) Combo.

Failing that, I'd be happy with the old faithful 30/30 Lever.

:thumbsup:

I dont own either a combo gun or a lever...

And i dont know a pilot, let alone a friendly or mustering one... :thumbsdown:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by albat » 24 Jun 2018, 11:21 pm

308 with a red dot or low power illuminated scope is what ido in the thickett you can even mount both with a picatinny rail side adaptor
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 24 Jun 2018, 11:39 pm

SCJ429 wrote:416 Rigby, you never know what is hiding in there. Drones are a great idea pity I spent all my money on powder and projectiles.

Im too much of a woos to shoot one of them...but then again, if i had one... 8-)

deanp100 wrote:Might there be dragons.??
If no-one has ever seen anything bigger than a fox in the area it is unlikely to be a secret population hidden in there. It is only a couple of square kms. Take anything that goes bang an$ see what happens. The Ute won’t be far away if you need something else.
This isn’t Jurassic Park.

Dragons--yes...!!! But i wont shoot them...
Bearded ones actually...ive seen a couple in the last 2 years in the area, & the farmer has noticed more around too...funny lookin skittish things they are--but good to see them around... :thumbsup:

I have no direct contact with anyone in the immediate area so not sure whats about.
But there are goats in scrub blocks in the general area-i know a bloke who culls small numbers on nearby land.

The car will be a fair hike away-i imagine it'll be a good min hour to get in to the water point--so thats a 2 hr turn around if i want a different gun.

bigrich wrote:45-70 guide gun. could be velocer-raptors hiding in there ! turn your scope down on ya 7-08 stix old mate ?

Someone been watching the jurassic park movies lately eh rich...??!! :lol:
7-08 mite be the go yet...!

Or the 12G with BB/slug move.

Actually, pinching the 32-20 wini carbine outa the ol' mans safe is another move, but not one i think ill get away with...

I should take bigpete up with me to let him get a feed...been a big heap of crows hangin around the property last 2 times ive been there... :clap:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by southwest shooter » 25 Jun 2018, 7:22 am

I could send over a drone with a few hellfires if you wanted .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jun 2018, 8:14 am

Into completely unknown, but tightly-packed terrain, if there's any possibility of pigs, I'd probably carry a shotgun with buck loads, but have a rifle hung at my side, probably the 7mm-08. I can drop the shotgun and bring the rifle up in seconds if I need to, and if I find I didn't need the shotgun I can break it down and toss it in my pack. Reduced loads with 100gn bullets work great on smaller game, and if I see goats, pigs or deer, I can take any of those with full-power loads at longer ranges.

Ideally though, I'd reconnoiter before going in. Use GoogleEarth to find the high spots with decent lines of site, any water catchments, trails, diggings, etc. Then get a good feel for wind direction, fill up on food and water and go exploring. Even if there's nothing in there it still sounds like a few days of good fun :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 25 Jun 2018, 10:22 am

If the scrubs that thick id be looking at the shortest barrel I could get my hands on. The carbine would be the go if ya can wrangle it!!! :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 25 Jun 2018, 10:56 am

I'm there if I can have a crack at the goats with my flintlock too ;)
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by deanp100 » 25 Jun 2018, 12:11 pm

bladeracer wrote:Into completely unknown, but tightly-packed terrain, if there's any possibility of pigs, I'd probably carry a shotgun with buck loads, but have a rifle hung at my side, probably the 7mm-08. I can drop the shotgun and bring the rifle up in seconds if I need to, and if I find I didn't need the shotgun I can break it down and toss it in my pack. Reduced loads with 100gn bullets work great on smaller game, and if I see goats, pigs or deer, I can take any of those with full-power loads at longer ranges.

Ideally though, I'd reconnoiter before going in. Use GoogleEarth to find the high spots with decent lines of site, any water catchments, trails, diggings, etc. Then get a good feel for wind direction, fill up on food and water and go exploring. Even if there's nothing in there it still sounds like a few days of good fun :-)

It’s 2 square km. That should be good for a couple of hours.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by eddahenry » 25 Jun 2018, 12:23 pm

I say you should take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."
eddahenry
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jun 2018, 12:25 pm

deanp100 wrote:It’s 2 square km. That should be good for a couple of hours.

Good point, but it's up to the individual how long they want to spend searching the area. I don't go into the bush just to kill something.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Rod_outbak » 26 Jun 2018, 11:45 am

Bladeracer,

What charge do you have behind the 100gn loads for the 7mm-08?
I've some 100gn HP loads I need to test out in the next few days, but wondered what you drive the 100gn pills with.

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 26 Jun 2018, 11:49 am

eddahenry wrote:I say you should take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

:lol: :lol: :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 26 Jun 2018, 5:04 pm

Rod_outbak wrote:Bladeracer,

What charge do you have behind the 100gn loads for the 7mm-08?
I've some 100gn HP loads I need to test out in the next few days, but wondered what you drive the 100gn pills with.

Cheers,

Rod.

I'm running them on AR2206H, 43.5gn to 44.5gn all stay within 0.7MoA to 100m. They run 3120fps on 43.5gn up to 3220fps on 44.5gn. I prefer the 145gn HotCor SP for subsonic loads. 8.5gn of Trailboss runs them around 940fps, but drops them on the fourth holdover dot in my scope (when zeroed for the 100gn HP at 150m).
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey