What cartridge chambering would you take

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: What cartridge chambering would you take

Post by bladeracer » 27 Jun 2018, 12:53 am

Rod_outbak wrote:Thanks also for the Trailboss recipe; another project I've been thinking about... Think I have a couple of flavours of 140 & 150gn pills I can use for the subsonic loads.
Cheers,
Rod.

I like a light bullet if I'm just making a cheap subsonic plinking load, but for a subsonic hunting load I prefer to throw a bigger rock. Most bullets aren't designed to function at subsonic speeds, unless they're a pistol bullet, even the 100gn HP I doubt will expand at 1000fps. XTP pistol bullets in .44 Mag and .38 Special don't show any expansion for me at subsonic velocities. The VMax is pretty explosive but even those tend to stay together under 1600fps.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 27 Jun 2018, 7:32 am

bladeracer wrote:
Stix wrote:Blade...what distance they trailboss loads hit terra firma (the forth holdover dot doesnt tell us much) & what height are you shooting from...? (ie 900mm high bench/standing/prone etc..?)

I wasn't trying to tell you what the drop was, merely explaining why I settled on that velocity :-)
The dot is 11.4MoA, plus 1.5MoA high for the 100gn at 100m we're looking at 14MoA drop between the two loads.
What would height matter?
I'd have to do some calculation. If you holdover 14MoA to hit the target at 100m you need to aim upwards 2.5 degrees.
If you were shooting across a still lake, one meter above the surface, I would guess the bullet will the water around the 250m mark, maybe.
If you have the rifle sitting horizontally though, I'm not sure the bullet would go much beyond 100m before touching down.

Ok thanks...& thanks sungazer.
I was just curious of an idea of the range/trajectory is all... :)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 Jun 2018, 8:19 am

Hey Stix , mate when I went pig hunting in dense scrub I used 12g with sg's and a solid follow up if the sg didn't pull them up the solid did although
I rarely used the solid after using the sg
In open scrub or heavily timbered scrub I used 303 carbine or 30-30 both have short barrels
It sounds like the area you are talking about is very dense so the 12g would be my choice because all shots would be short to close and the 12g has all
the knock down power you need for those shots
I have actually stopped wild bulls with 12g solids at close range and very large boars with sg's out to 30-40 yds there abouts
Member-Deleted

Post by eddahenry » 27 Jun 2018, 9:44 am

Well the Only rifle i ever regret in selling is my Brno Combination 12 gauge /308 , loaded BBs in the 12 and 180 lead cast in the 308 ,,, there was nothing in the dense scrub i wouldn't take on with that rifle
eddahenry
Private
Private

Western Australia

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey