What cartridge chambering would you take

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: What cartridge chambering would you take

Post by albat » 24 Jun 2018, 11:21 pm

308 with a red dot or low power illuminated scope is what ido in the thickett you can even mount both with a picatinny rail side adaptor
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 24 Jun 2018, 11:39 pm

SCJ429 wrote:416 Rigby, you never know what is hiding in there. Drones are a great idea pity I spent all my money on powder and projectiles.

Im too much of a woos to shoot one of them...but then again, if i had one... 8-)

deanp100 wrote:Might there be dragons.??
If no-one has ever seen anything bigger than a fox in the area it is unlikely to be a secret population hidden in there. It is only a couple of square kms. Take anything that goes bang an$ see what happens. The Ute won’t be far away if you need something else.
This isn’t Jurassic Park.

Dragons--yes...!!! But i wont shoot them...
Bearded ones actually...ive seen a couple in the last 2 years in the area, & the farmer has noticed more around too...funny lookin skittish things they are--but good to see them around... :thumbsup:

I have no direct contact with anyone in the immediate area so not sure whats about.
But there are goats in scrub blocks in the general area-i know a bloke who culls small numbers on nearby land.

The car will be a fair hike away-i imagine it'll be a good min hour to get in to the water point--so thats a 2 hr turn around if i want a different gun.

bigrich wrote:45-70 guide gun. could be velocer-raptors hiding in there ! turn your scope down on ya 7-08 stix old mate ?

Someone been watching the jurassic park movies lately eh rich...??!! :lol:
7-08 mite be the go yet...!

Or the 12G with BB/slug move.

Actually, pinching the 32-20 wini carbine outa the ol' mans safe is another move, but not one i think ill get away with...

I should take bigpete up with me to let him get a feed...been a big heap of crows hangin around the property last 2 times ive been there... :clap:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by southwest shooter » 25 Jun 2018, 7:22 am

I could send over a drone with a few hellfires if you wanted .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jun 2018, 8:14 am

Into completely unknown, but tightly-packed terrain, if there's any possibility of pigs, I'd probably carry a shotgun with buck loads, but have a rifle hung at my side, probably the 7mm-08. I can drop the shotgun and bring the rifle up in seconds if I need to, and if I find I didn't need the shotgun I can break it down and toss it in my pack. Reduced loads with 100gn bullets work great on smaller game, and if I see goats, pigs or deer, I can take any of those with full-power loads at longer ranges.

Ideally though, I'd reconnoiter before going in. Use GoogleEarth to find the high spots with decent lines of site, any water catchments, trails, diggings, etc. Then get a good feel for wind direction, fill up on food and water and go exploring. Even if there's nothing in there it still sounds like a few days of good fun :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 25 Jun 2018, 10:22 am

If the scrubs that thick id be looking at the shortest barrel I could get my hands on. The carbine would be the go if ya can wrangle it!!! :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 25 Jun 2018, 10:56 am

I'm there if I can have a crack at the goats with my flintlock too ;)
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by deanp100 » 25 Jun 2018, 12:11 pm

bladeracer wrote:Into completely unknown, but tightly-packed terrain, if there's any possibility of pigs, I'd probably carry a shotgun with buck loads, but have a rifle hung at my side, probably the 7mm-08. I can drop the shotgun and bring the rifle up in seconds if I need to, and if I find I didn't need the shotgun I can break it down and toss it in my pack. Reduced loads with 100gn bullets work great on smaller game, and if I see goats, pigs or deer, I can take any of those with full-power loads at longer ranges.

Ideally though, I'd reconnoiter before going in. Use GoogleEarth to find the high spots with decent lines of site, any water catchments, trails, diggings, etc. Then get a good feel for wind direction, fill up on food and water and go exploring. Even if there's nothing in there it still sounds like a few days of good fun :-)

It’s 2 square km. That should be good for a couple of hours.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by eddahenry » 25 Jun 2018, 12:23 pm

I say you should take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."
eddahenry
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jun 2018, 12:25 pm

deanp100 wrote:It’s 2 square km. That should be good for a couple of hours.

Good point, but it's up to the individual how long they want to spend searching the area. I don't go into the bush just to kill something.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Rod_outbak » 26 Jun 2018, 11:45 am

Bladeracer,

What charge do you have behind the 100gn loads for the 7mm-08?
I've some 100gn HP loads I need to test out in the next few days, but wondered what you drive the 100gn pills with.

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 26 Jun 2018, 11:49 am

eddahenry wrote:I say you should take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

:lol: :lol: :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 26 Jun 2018, 5:04 pm

Rod_outbak wrote:Bladeracer,

I've some 100gn HP loads I need to test out in the next few days, but wondered what you drive the 100gn pills with.

Cheers,

Rod.

I'm running them on AR2206H, 43.5gn to 44.5gn all stay within 0.7MoA to 100m. They run 3120fps on 43.5gn up to 3220fps on 44.5gn. I prefer the 145gn HotCor SP for subsonic loads. 8.5gn of Trailboss runs them around 940fps, but drops them on the fourth holdover dot in my scope (when zeroed for the 100gn HP at 150m).
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 26 Jun 2018, 6:37 pm

thick, thick scrub = shottie and if you see anything other than a fox/rabbit ,take a rifle next time :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Stix » 26 Jun 2018, 6:55 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Rod_outbak wrote:Bladeracer,

Cheers,

Rod.

I'm running them on AR2206H, 43.5gn to 44.5gn all stay within 0.7MoA to 100m. They run 3120fps on 43.5gn up to 3220fps on 44.5gn. I prefer the 145gn HotCor SP for subsonic loads. 8.5gn of Trailboss runs them around 940fps, but drops them on the fourth holdover dot in my scope (when zeroed for the 100gn HP at 150m).

Blade...what distance they trailboss loads hit terra firma (the forth holdover dot doesnt tell us much) & what height are you shooting from...? (ie 900mm high bench/standing/prone etc..?)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 26 Jun 2018, 7:08 pm

deanp100 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Into completely unknown, but tightly-packed terrain, if there's any possibility of pigs, I'd probably carry a shotgun with buck loads, but have a rifle hung at my side, probably the 7mm-08. I can drop the shotgun and bring the rifle up in seconds if I need to, and if I find I didn't need the shotgun I can break it down and toss it in my pack. Reduced loads with 100gn bullets work great on smaller game, and if I see goats, pigs or deer, I can take any of those with full-power loads at longer ranges.

It’s 2 square km. That should be good for a couple of hours.

I walked an adjacent small patch of scrub that is similar, but less densly packed on last trip out...i parked at edge of scrub & walked through with the 12G...up & just over the top (100m) & weaved through the scrub & eventually traversed my way back down (maybe 80m), & i emerged 200 metres forward of the car...it took me over 45 mins...
There is no way any man will get into the centre & back out again in less than 1.5-2 hrs--& thats assuming you're just doing it to prove a point & not actually going in to have a look around.
Its pretty densly packed mallee...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Rod_outbak » 26 Jun 2018, 8:08 pm

[quote="bladeracer"][quote="Rod_outbak"]Bladeracer,

Cheers,

Rod.[/quote]

I'm running them on AR2206H, 43.5gn to 44.5gn all stay within 0.7MoA to 100m. They run 3120fps on 43.5gn up to 3220fps on 44.5gn. I prefer the 145gn HotCor SP for subsonic loads. 8.5gn of Trailboss runs them around 940fps, but drops them on the fourth holdover dot in my scope (when zeroed for the 100gn HP at 150m).[/quote]

Thanks for that. I'll have to try these loads out in the next week, and see how they group. I made them up about 12 months ago, and havent gotten around to testing them. Really should do something about that...

Thanks also for the Trailboss recipe; another project I've been thinking about... Think I have a couple of flavours of 140 & 150gn pills I can use for the subsonic loads.

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 26 Jun 2018, 9:06 pm

A 140-150 doing aprox 950 fps is going to drop a meter by 200yrds . it only loses about 30f/lbs of energy in that distance but it only started with 300
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bladeracer » 27 Jun 2018, 12:43 am

Stix wrote:Blade...what distance they trailboss loads hit terra firma (the forth holdover dot doesnt tell us much) & what height are you shooting from...? (ie 900mm high bench/standing/prone etc..?)

I wasn't trying to tell you what the drop was, merely explaining why I settled on that velocity :-)
The dot is 11.4MoA, plus 1.5MoA high for the 100gn at 100m we're looking at 14MoA drop between the two loads.
What would height matter?
I'd have to do some calculation. If you holdover 14MoA to hit the target at 100m you need to aim upwards 2.5 degrees.
If you were shooting across a still lake, one meter above the surface, I would guess the bullet will the water around the 250m mark, maybe.
If you have the rifle sitting horizontally though, I'm not sure the bullet would go much beyond 100m before touching down.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 27 Jun 2018, 12:53 am

Rod_outbak wrote:Thanks also for the Trailboss recipe; another project I've been thinking about... Think I have a couple of flavours of 140 & 150gn pills I can use for the subsonic loads.
Cheers,
Rod.

I like a light bullet if I'm just making a cheap subsonic plinking load, but for a subsonic hunting load I prefer to throw a bigger rock. Most bullets aren't designed to function at subsonic speeds, unless they're a pistol bullet, even the 100gn HP I doubt will expand at 1000fps. XTP pistol bullets in .44 Mag and .38 Special don't show any expansion for me at subsonic velocities. The VMax is pretty explosive but even those tend to stay together under 1600fps.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 27 Jun 2018, 7:32 am

bladeracer wrote:
Stix wrote:Blade...what distance they trailboss loads hit terra firma (the forth holdover dot doesnt tell us much) & what height are you shooting from...? (ie 900mm high bench/standing/prone etc..?)

I wasn't trying to tell you what the drop was, merely explaining why I settled on that velocity :-)
The dot is 11.4MoA, plus 1.5MoA high for the 100gn at 100m we're looking at 14MoA drop between the two loads.
What would height matter?
I'd have to do some calculation. If you holdover 14MoA to hit the target at 100m you need to aim upwards 2.5 degrees.
If you were shooting across a still lake, one meter above the surface, I would guess the bullet will the water around the 250m mark, maybe.
If you have the rifle sitting horizontally though, I'm not sure the bullet would go much beyond 100m before touching down.

Ok thanks...& thanks sungazer.
I was just curious of an idea of the range/trajectory is all... :)
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 27 Jun 2018, 8:19 am

Hey Stix , mate when I went pig hunting in dense scrub I used 12g with sg's and a solid follow up if the sg didn't pull them up the solid did although
I rarely used the solid after using the sg
In open scrub or heavily timbered scrub I used 303 carbine or 30-30 both have short barrels
It sounds like the area you are talking about is very dense so the 12g would be my choice because all shots would be short to close and the 12g has all
the knock down power you need for those shots
I have actually stopped wild bulls with 12g solids at close range and very large boars with sg's out to 30-40 yds there abouts
Member-Deleted

Post by eddahenry » 27 Jun 2018, 9:44 am

Well the Only rifle i ever regret in selling is my Brno Combination 12 gauge /308 , loaded BBs in the 12 and 180 lead cast in the 308 ,,, there was nothing in the dense scrub i wouldn't take on with that rifle
eddahenry
Private
Private

Western Australia

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey