GPS and Handheld UHF's

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

GPS and Handheld UHF's

Post by PaddyT » 25 Jun 2018, 10:38 am

Morning all, went to the Shot show on Saturday and got my R-licence done, ye har! However am after a few recommendations for GPS that can be used with the NSW DPI maps- would rather have a seperate GPS to my phone and also a recommendation for handheld UHF's- also i dont know much about UHF's at all- but have my Marine radio cert for VHF and have used one for a damn long time-assume UHF's are line of sight etc. Anything else I need to know would be appreciated cheers
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: GPS and Handheld UHF's

Post by Rod_outbak » 25 Jun 2018, 1:39 pm

PaddyT,

You dont mention your budget.

If you want a combo unit, we have the Garmin Rino GPS/UHF radios here, and for the sort of use you are talking, they would be perfect.

I think our models here are the Rino 650; the current equivalent is the Rino 750.
5 Watt Handheld 80-Channel UHF radio.
Colour screen GPS, with the option of downloading Birdseye satellite imagery, and overlaying your maps over the satellite image.
It has a MicroSD slot for additional maps.
You can buy a spare battery pack that uses 4 AA batteries, so if you cant charge the Li-Ion battery, you have a plan B.
If you have 2 or more, they can share their positional info between the units via UHF 'Chirps' (Only works on non-repeater channels)

Not cheap($730) for the Rino 750, but depends on what you are looking for.
https://www.ja-gps.com.au/Garmin/rino-7 ... -handheld/

Probably way more than you are budgeting for, but the Rinos are pretty much everything you are looking for, and then some.

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by PaddyT » 25 Jun 2018, 2:07 pm

Hi Rod, thanks for that-looks interesting- i assume this supports the NSW DPI maps?
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Archie » 25 Jun 2018, 3:12 pm

PaddyT wrote:Hi Rod, thanks for that-looks interesting- i assume this supports the NSW DPI maps?

DPI has a couple of types of maps, one of them works on Garmin. I use a Garmin (not a Rino, I actually wish I had bought that one instead), they are a little fiddly to get onto the GPS via PC but once on they work fine. Lots of people use Rinos so I am sure one of them will be able to confirm 100%.

I also tend to download the PDF versions onto my phone as a backup, the Garmins work fine but screen quality better on an iphone usually and anyway it never hurts to have a Plan B.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by albat » 25 Jun 2018, 8:00 pm

would'nt bother with rhino combo one breaks both break not good in the bush, go seperate
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 26 Jun 2018, 6:39 am

[quote="albat"]would'nt bother with rhino combo one breaks both break not good in the bush, go seperate[/quote]

Well, if you have the spare room and you need the ultimate in redundancy, then I expect you WOULD likely carry separate GPS and UHF radio.

Heck; with unlimited room, I'd probably carry a full-size UHF handheld, one of the little 3w UHF units as a backup, an emergancy beacon, a separate GPS, as well as your smart-phone with an offline GPS app. THEN; I'd be carrying a couple of spare map sets and some fire-lighting gear!
But how far do you go with your redundancy??

From what I gathered from the original post, he was looking for an aid for when he did the odd trip into the state forests on a hunt?
Not exactly 'survive in the bush for months on end' stuff...
Whats wrong with the Garmin Rino's for this sort of task?
They seem to be decently made, and are even capable of being rained on, and in the 6 years we've owned our 4, we've had one battery die of old age!
Not exactly failure-prone, in my opinion.

There are things I dont like about the Rino's, but I cant fault them for a rugged and reliable combo GPS & UHF radio, with some features that are hard to find elsewhere.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by PaddyT » 26 Jun 2018, 9:59 am

Rod,

thanks for your help, you hit the nail on the head with what I am after- by the time i bought a GPS/Maps and a seperate UHF its the same price . Back it up with a topo map and i will be fine- any other options out there being used by anyone else?
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Jon79 » 26 Jun 2018, 10:24 am

For anyone on a budget you can pick up a Garmin 64s at BCF, they also have Afterpay where you can pay nothing get it now then pay it off over 4 payments
https://www.bcf.com.au/garmin-gpsmap-64 ... 64156.html

The 64s I have does enough for me and if you know where to look you can pick up topo maps for free ;)

As for a UHF I have a GME TX6200 which I picked up off Facebook a few years ago for the bargin basement price of $50 :D
https://www.gme.net.au/catalogue/discon ... x6200.aspx
Jon79
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by pete1 » 26 Jun 2018, 11:49 am

Ok so as for UHF handheld my no. 1 tip would get a 5 watt. When they talk about 1 watt will travel 10km is in perfect conditions, kind of bullsh*t. Plus if its a emergancy you want every bit of distance you can get. Plus more powerfull means you will get a clearer signal out.
Now i didnt want to spend $500 on a GME handheld so brought Oricom UHF5500-1 for $150 they are quite a robust radio, droped it a few times and works just as good as day i brought it. I would highly recomend them if thats in your price range. Batterys are pretty good too. Last a long time when charged. Had mine 2 years or so coulnt fault it. Would rate it 9/10 very happy with it.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by PaddyT » 26 Jun 2018, 1:21 pm

just found the Garmin Oregon 750 with preloaded topo maps for $658- anyone used one?
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey