Bait for dog trap

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Bait for dog trap

Post by Lifesaride » 27 Jun 2018, 12:34 pm

As I said earlier, do you have livestock? If so you are in the clear if you deem the dogs a threat to stock if in a rural area. An excerpt below and the full site in the link.

While you can legally shoot a wild dog, you cannot shoot a roaming domestic dog unless you meet the following requirements:

You have the necessary firearms licence and use the firearm according to state firearms laws.
You reasonably believe the dog is attacking, or is likely to attack, your livestock and is not under someone's control.
You live on land that is subject to a rural fire levy.
You comply with other laws such as the Animal Care and Protection Act 2001.

https://www.business.qld.gov.au/industr ... s/shooting
Lifesaride
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 27 Jun 2018, 1:12 pm

1 Method ( NON LEATHAL like getting hit with cricket bat) is a soap/wax and salt .22 if you have an old .22 you like to clean.
mix 1 portion of soap/wax with about 1/2 portion of salt then remove the .22 projectile from a cheap brand pack with the soap to the top of shell ,set in freezer till solid virtually no sound at all . Maybe have a try in backyard when dogs are not around I find its accurate out to max 20 m try to hit on an area with no fur dogs tend to remember and don,t come back .
Once you have fired should clean straight away
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 27 Jun 2018, 2:52 pm

grandadbushy wrote:Yep probably the weight of all that lead he's carrying :lol: :lol: :drinks:

That's why I use the flat target pellets. .no penetration just gives them a wack on the arse and drops on the track next to it!!! :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by perentie » 27 Jun 2018, 4:36 pm

Yeah we have four horses thats all. What to do is not a problem , its getting them in the trap. I will try the suggestion here.
I just thought professionals might have access to a nice smelly long lasting bait thats commercially available and does the job..
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lifesaride » 27 Jun 2018, 7:23 pm

perentie wrote:Yeah we have four horses thats all. What to do is not a problem , its getting them in the trap. I will try the suggestion here.
I just thought professionals might have access to a nice smelly long lasting bait thats commercially available and does the job..

Horses are classed as livestock in QLD, so if you catch the dogs chasing or deem them a threat to your livestock take the shot, not a thing that they can they can do. I’ve done plenty of research as the crackheads down the road had 2 big dogs that we’re getting out and chasing cattle, the operative word being HAD.

I must admit they weren’t happy until the threat of litigation for the loss of the calf and the two rounds.
Lifesaride
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Corn » 27 Jun 2018, 8:10 pm

Available in USA!

OK! So you’d have to be very close to the target(s), but this would be fun to play with!
Attachments
A8CA432E-3986-483A-9EF9-41B1A7A3A985.jpeg
A8CA432E-3986-483A-9EF9-41B1A7A3A985.jpeg (480.98 KiB) Viewed 6404 times
48377302-9D10-4024-8B96-A0A06DB92729.jpeg
48377302-9D10-4024-8B96-A0A06DB92729.jpeg (747.55 KiB) Viewed 6404 times
Something something something
Corn
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Jun 2018, 8:20 pm

perentie wrote:We are on 30 acre and a neighbour down the way refuses to keep his dogs locked up at night.

30 acres is pretty small. IMO to close to the nabours. As someone suggested earlier a game camera to take a few incriminating pics and then off to the council.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Rod_outbak » 28 Jun 2018, 6:51 am

Over 15 years ago, our local Gun shop had stocks of both the bean-bag 12ga rounds that were often used to 'direct' cattle from helicopters up in the Top End, and they also had boxes of the 'Bird-Frite' Flash-Bang 12 ga rounds as well. If they hadnt been so horrendously expensive (and I dont have a 12 ga), I'd have bought a couple of boxes of each; just to have on the shelf...

Perentie,
30 acres pretty much rules out using most firearms, without ending up in more trouble than the dog owner.
As much as it might be painful, I reckon the council needs to be involved.
If you get photos, what about getting the media involved? That way, the council is going to have to grow some balls and do something.
When you say other neighbours have complained, do you know if they simply rang the council, or submitted written/emailed complaints? Council will do sod-all on verbal complaints, but have to respond to written ones.
If you start talking publicly about your horses being threatened, I'm sure the horse-lovers guild will be out for (dog) blood as well..
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 28 Jun 2018, 9:09 am

You pretty much hit the nail on the head Rod there is a figure floating around in qld of 40 acres to acquire a licence and to be classed as rural
holdings for the laws to take place as bigger farms
And the paper trail to council , pics ,others doing likewise with council once the council has it in writing then it becomes their problem incase
someone or animals are harmed
I think old mate has plenty of good advice here on this post to make the right choice
Member-Deleted

Post by sungazer » 28 Jun 2018, 3:04 pm

Daddybang wrote:If ya worried about being legal if ya shoot them buy an air rifle with some flat nose target pellets and hit them in the arse a couple of times they don't tend to come back!!!(at least my neighbors hasn't :allegedly: 8-) )

Or perhaps the 22LR rat shot bullets. I doubt that they would penetrate past about 10-15m
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Member-Deleted » 28 Jun 2018, 3:38 pm

grandadbushy wrote: Rod there is a figure floating around in qld of 40 acres to acquire a licence and to be classed as rural

Yep GB, the rule of thumb seems to be 40 acres. From the Weapons Licensing website talking about Recreational licences:
For Recreational shooting on rural lands (with Cat A or B only), the size of the property you wish to shoot on needs to be of sufficient size to ensure safe use for the category/ies of weapons (generally greater than 40 acres). It is an offence to shoot on or across neighbouring private land without the owner’s permission.
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Jun 2018, 7:03 pm

Lifesaride wrote:As I said earlier, do you have livestock? If so you are in the clear if you deem the dogs a threat to stock if in a rural area. An excerpt below and the full site in the link.

While you can legally shoot a wild dog, you cannot shoot a roaming domestic dog unless you meet the following requirements:

You have the necessary firearms licence and use the firearm according to state firearms laws.
You reasonably believe the dog is attacking, or is likely to attack, your livestock and is not under someone's control.
You live on land that is subject to a rural fire levy.
You comply with other laws such as the Animal Care and Protection Act 2001.

https://www.business.qld.gov.au/industr ... s/shooting

This ^^^^ is sound advice, I know you don't want to shoot them, but if they have threatened to attack, I know which option I would take.

The advice re getting the Council involved is also good, I would follow up any verbal complaint with a confirming email, if they don't get and result or take action and keep you informed, you might remind them that your report is recorded, (the email) and if there is any damage as a result of these dogs, you are prepared to take the matter further, this usually evokes action.
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Jun 2018, 7:09 pm

Member-Deleted wrote:
grandadbushy wrote: Rod there is a figure floating around in qld of 40 acres to acquire a licence and to be classed as rural

Yep GB, the rule of thumb seems to be 40 acres. From the Weapons Licensing website talking about Recreational licences:
For Recreational shooting on rural lands (with Cat A or B only), the size of the property you wish to shoot on needs to be of sufficient size to ensure safe use for the category/ies of weapons (generally greater than 40 acres). It is an offence to shoot on or across neighbouring private land without the owner’s permission.

The size of the property is not a legally stipulated standard, there have been incidents of people discharging firearms on 5 acre blocks in my area, even after people have complained, the local police have not been able to act, providing the shooter is licensed and the firearm is registered, it is dependant on the circumstances, if the shooter can show the projectile is not being fired over neighbouring land, then there is no offence.
Member-Deleted

Post by Midwestman » 18 Jul 2018, 4:45 pm

i'm hearing you perentie,the best way too solve the problem is get a good loud squeaky toy from the $2 shop,buy a nice BBQ chook or cook some bacon,also tinned tuna works well,set up a lil feeding area for them,have your 22 ready with subs or z's give the squeaky toy a few squeaks next time there out,near your nice lil food trap,then put too sleep with a nice pill in the head use hollow points too,that should fix the problem,good luck.
carl gustov 03 mauser 6.5x55
savage 223
Midwestman
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 18 Jul 2018, 8:48 pm

Trying to get a roaming domestic dog(s) into a cage trap is very, very difficult. The dogs are not particularly looking for food, just something to play and chase and possibly they are extending their territory and will challenge anything and everyone in it.
For a start, you will need 2 very large cage traps and pegged down.
I don't see "smelly" baits working 'cause the dogs are usually well fed.
I'd suggest you try some fresh KFC chicken. Use the skin and carcass, wings on,bones etc and shallow bury it at the rear of one trap. In trap No.2 try dry food or dog meat - mince etc. I set the mince or pellets in a dog dish and place in a foam meat tray with a bit of water if ants are a problem.
Also, use some of your dog's scats around and into the trap entrance or a stray bitch scat or cats scat too.
The baits will have to be kept fresh.
Try a few dog pellet food at and into the entrance of the traps. You could also rig up one trap not to fire when the dog enters, gets them used to going in.
And last, patience, patience and good luck.... ;)
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by perentie » 19 Jul 2018, 7:41 am

Thanks for all the hints.
The dog has not come back since, so perhaps someone else has solved the problem
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 19 Jul 2018, 9:14 am

Yep, could be and here's to a happy ending for all.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 19 Jul 2018, 9:31 am

perentie wrote:Thanks for all the hints.
The dog has not come back since, so perhaps someone else has solved the problem

Word got out!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control