what you can see when you look hard enough

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

what you can see when you look hard enough

Post by marksman » 02 Jul 2018, 2:45 pm

I'm a lucky boy :thumbsup: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Re: what you can see when you look hard enough

Post by Stix » 02 Jul 2018, 3:04 pm

Ah gees...yes you are...!!! :thumbsup:
Im more than happy to fuel up for the drive to come help...!! :D

Speaking of what you see when looking hard enough...I was driving home last night from a day of some targets on a farm, when i thought i saw something out the corner of my eye that was unusual disappear off the side of the road...lots of roos in this wooded area of the Adelaide hills so it could have been one of them.

I played back what i saw in my mind, & when it registered i realised it must have been the back end of a deer...so i pulled up turned around & drove back the half a Km & poked the handheld out the widow to see two pretty young fallow does looking back at me from maybe 25-30 paces...

Thoughts of "having to put down an injured deer" with a subsonic hollow point from the 22 on the side of the road rapidly ran through my head...but then came a car, then another, then they retreated out to a good 50 then 80 odd yards in the thick, & my fantasy was over as quick as it began... :thumbsdown:

Dont let my little tale detract from my offer of help...!! :drinks: :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by YoungBuck » 02 Jul 2018, 4:28 pm

Tell me they are not in Vic...
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 02 Jul 2018, 4:49 pm

There are enough of foxes and skippy around.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 02 Jul 2018, 5:13 pm

They look like they've been eating alright!!
:thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Jul 2018, 6:12 pm

They look like farmed pigs to me.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Jul 2018, 6:58 pm

bigfellascott wrote:They look like farmed pigs to me.

Definitely well fed.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 02 Jul 2018, 10:34 pm

yes they are in Victoria
no they are not domestic, apparently doggers have been bringing them back and letting them go for years around here
yes they are well fed off the crops the local farmers have planted

and sorry stix but I am the only person these farmers will let on
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 02 Jul 2018, 11:00 pm

No worries marksman...whilst to a point i was serious, i havnt for a moment held out any hope of you saying yes... :lol:

Since you mentioned the food outlets you set up, ive been all ears waiting to hear about it...now youve posted those trail cam pics, i hope you post up a documented account...

It looks like it'll be a blast...!! :thumbsup:

Will you consume them if they look healthy, given they're fed on the crops...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 22 Jul 2018, 1:59 pm

I'm thinking about mincing up some pork with venison
I've heard it's very good

these pigs are very flighty and run at any odd sound at up to 400
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by marksman » 22 Jul 2018, 2:03 pm

here is another daytime pic of some young and sows
the boars are much bigger

marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 22 Jul 2018, 5:36 pm

Good work it looks like you got access to some nice turf.

I dropped a boar whilst fallow hunting a couple months ago, great eating, no idea why they get such a bad wrap. The meat was mild and less "porky" than farmed meat.

Never tried it mixed with venison but if I was to do it I would use fallow over sambar, sambar is too mild IMO whilst fallow has that gamey tang that a bit of wild pork would tame.
Cant comment on other deer because I have never hunted them.
Bigjobss

Post by Stix » 22 Jul 2018, 7:22 pm

Wow...now thats just great stuff...!! :thumbsup:

I really gotta get out more...!!!

How far marksman...?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 22 Jul 2018, 8:15 pm

spot on 350 :thumbsup:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Pythonkeeper » 23 Jul 2018, 2:05 pm

Great work....what are you putting in the feeders?
I’m thinking of setting up some bump feeders full of corn on a farm I hunt, I’ve been getting around 5 or 6 each time I head out for the weekend but I’d like to get those numbers up for the owners as they have setup camp at two locations close to their house....figured if I can bring them in to a feeder I could keep my distance and pick a few off.

They look like clean animals going by the pics, good eaters.

A mix of wild pork and venison mince goes real nice in spag bog/lasagna or savoury mince/ shepherds pie type dishes, love a good san choy bow too with pork or both meats. Even just mincing a bit of pork fat through your venison mince adds nice flavour and moisture to dishes.
If you pickup a nice fatty one (pig) try cooking up a Philippino dish called adobo, bloody delicious, you can cook it with just pork or a mix of pork and chicken pieces...the fat on the pork really makes the dish so don’t trim it if you cook this dish.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 23 Jul 2018, 5:15 pm

maize corn is good, I have used it with success but in these feeders I'm using crap oats that are no good for anything else
what the farmer had at the time
its good to ferment some and put it out at the same time, roo's and deer don't eat it you will loose a bit to birds but the piggies love it
smells like beer when fermented :drinks:
good idea to shift them around after you get a few and do it from distance, they don't know where you are,
keep an eye on them from distance, don't smell up your shooting area and scare them away
its smarter to bring them to you, not sure if it's hunting or shooting, when you berly fish its still fishing :unknown: maybe culling
the doggers in this area are flogging it and when they catch they release apparently :unknown: they are why the pigs are so flighty
as long as they are being thinned out the farmers are happy :thumbsup:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Pythonkeeper » 23 Jul 2018, 6:50 pm

Yeah cheers, might come into the shooting category but I figure I can still track and stalk after they scatter from the feeders.
I’ve made up sour mash before and it was effective, but not until I was gone, took them 2-3 days to start eating it and I was only there for that amount of time, so by the time they really started “pigging out” I wasn’t there to capitalise. If I fabricate a bump feeder or two out of 44 gallon drums I can fill them up and they should last a bit, the farmer can keep an eye on them and give them a top up when needed. Could do the same with a pig tube. No deer around out there to worry about but there are a few roos, though not many in the scheme of things.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 23 Jul 2018, 8:19 pm

If ya can get hold of a drum of molasses they'll come from miles away!! :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 24 Jul 2018, 6:47 pm

Daddybang wrote:If ya can get hold of a drum of molasses they'll come from miles away!! :lol: :drinks:

have heard this before Daddybang but getting the farmer to get some is like getting blood out of a stone :lol:
might be worth hang a bottle of it from a tree to get the smell out there
I have also heard they like to wallow in old sump oil and diesel :unknown:
the farmers wont let me try that one though
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Pythonkeeper » 24 Jul 2018, 6:52 pm

I put a heap of molasses in the mash I made up, like I said in a previous post, they loved it but I wasn’t there to enjoy the spoils so they got a free feed, 40 kgs of corn mixed with molasses, raspberry jelly crystals and water.....wonder if they would have tasted sweeter after eating it??? :)
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 17 Sep 2018, 11:31 am

just an update
a young bloke I have taken under the wing so to say has taken a couple of the feral's with his 223 howa
the pigs have moved on at the moment, we haven't seen them for a while, very flighty as well
he did a good job shooting one at a very fast pace and one sitter :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Sep 2018, 8:00 pm

What range and projectile weight?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 20 Sep 2018, 10:01 am

he shot them with outback ammo 55gr sierra blitzkings and 120 meters :thumbsup:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control