Finishing injured game .22LR

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Finishing injured game .22LR

Post by AndyZ » 02 Jul 2018, 11:56 pm

When finishing a wounded fox or roo with a .22LR is standard velocity or subsonic rounds best. Also is it better to do at point blank or stand back a lttle ways Thanks in advance.
Tikka T3X .223 Rem
Howa 1500 GRS 6.5mm CM
Remington 700 .308 Win
Ruger American .22LR
AndyZ
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Finishing injured game .22LR

Post by bladeracer » 03 Jul 2018, 1:42 am

AndyZ wrote:When finishing a wounded fox or roo with a .22LR is standard velocity or subsonic rounds best. Also is it better to do at point blank or stand back a lttle ways Thanks in advance.

If the animal is aware of you, then it's probably best to stay back so you don't spook it into running, or struggling, and making a more difficult shot. If it's not aware of you then it's probably good to get to within a meter or two so you can be sure of your shot. A fox or rabbit for example, might flip and run a short way, even with a fatal wound. If it's not fatally hit though it might just be hiding in the grass, and seeing you approach might spook it, leaving you with a running shot, or a wounded animal escaping. If you aren't certain, put another bullet into it as soon as you have a clear shot.

As for the velocity, it really doesn't matter. Standard-velocity .22LR is just subsonic, under about 1100fps (speed of sound varies slightly). High-velocity is supersonic, over 1100fps.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 03 Jul 2018, 10:05 am

Personally, i use subsonic hollow points for everything to do with shooting animals.

A subsonic hollow point at point blank-through the back of the head or front on angled down into the brain.
If you do it right the bullet will not exit & there is no danger to yourself of bullets exploding.
Just make sure you pick a safe path for the bullet to travel in case it does exit--ie not straight into a big moss rock where it could ricochet back at you or into your mates foot...!

As a general rule im not a believer in standing back--ive seen (& ive been a cuprit here too) when standing back the bullet graze the animal & further wound it...so walk up to it & put the poor thing out of its misery.
What ever you do dont hesitate or look away for the shot (to avoid seeing the confronting nature of the situation), you dont want to miss...& yes ive seen a miss at point blank too...!! because the person doesnt want to see the animal die.

The only time i dont approach to point blank is when, as Blade has said, the animal is jumping around too much-in which case just hold back at a distance where it settles.
But as a general rule...a subsonic hollow point to the back of the head at point blank.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 03 Jul 2018, 1:24 pm

FMD just shoot it with whatever ammo you have they all work if you use them right.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by YoungBuck » 03 Jul 2018, 1:38 pm

Stix wrote:As a general rule im not a believer in standing back--ive seen (& ive been a cuprit here too) when standing back the bullet graze the animal & further wound it...so walk up to it & put the poor thing out of its misery.

Agree with this. A misery shot for me is either point blank to the head or from 10m away. With the scope being above the barrel, at only 1-2 m your shot will go well low (1-2") of where your scope is aiming, crucial if you are aiming for the head.

bigfellascott wrote:FMD just shoot it with whatever ammo you have they all work if you use them right.

If you've only got a .22, I agree just use whatevers in the chamber/mag. But if im shooting my 243 and have the .22 in the car with me I'd much rather use a 10c subsonic rimfire round to finish off game rather than a centrefire round I've worked hard to perfect.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 03 Jul 2018, 2:10 pm

If your first shot doesn't kill it, take another follow up shot immediately. Then go collect your prey. If it still isn't dead, hold the muzzel a foot or two back from its head and pull the trigger. Be sure of backing for the shot. Holding the muzzel too close can cause blow back, which is less than ideal.

While we all aim for a clean kill, there are the occasional situations where follow up shots are needed. This is why practicing in realistic situations at targets is important, not just from a bench. Know your target species, know the kill zones, know how to pick your shot and when to pass it up. If you can't reliably make a shot from a less than perfect rest during practice, do not attempt it while hunting. The field is not the place to build shooting skills.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bladeracer » 03 Jul 2018, 5:00 pm

Stix wrote:What ever you do dont hesitate or look away for the shot (to avoid seeing the confronting nature of the situation), you dont want to miss...& yes ive seen a miss at point blank too...!! because the person doesnt want to see the animal die.

Shortly after my dad arrived in Oz (mid-60's) he had cause to call Police to euthanise a dog. The young copper that got sent out managed to put a bullet through it's muzzle as he was apparently too upset to make a good job of it. My dad took the distraught kid's gun off him and finished the job properly.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 03 Jul 2018, 6:30 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Stix wrote:What ever you do dont hesitate or look away for the shot (to avoid seeing the confronting nature of the situation), you dont want to miss...& yes ive seen a miss at point blank too...!! because the person doesnt want to see the animal die.

Shortly after my dad arrived in Oz (mid-60's) he had cause to call Police to euthanise a dog. The young copper that got sent out managed to put a bullet through it's muzzle as he was apparently too upset to make a good job of it. My dad took the distraught kid's gun off him and finished the job properly.

Maybe im a woos, & given im a hunter & i shoot animals i probably sound like a huge hypocrite, but i find stories like that terribly upsetting...Gives me shivers...poor thing...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Flyer » 04 Jul 2018, 3:32 pm

I don't think any hunter worth his salt wants to see an animal suffer. All predators kill to eat and we all die in the end - that's life - but anyone who willfully inflicts pain and suffering shouldn't be trusted with a firearm.
The laws of physics do not apply to politics.
Flyer
Corporal
Corporal

-

Post by Stix » 04 Jul 2018, 3:39 pm

Flyer wrote:I don't think any hunter worth his salt wants to see an animal suffer. All predators kill to eat and we all die in the end - that's life - but anyone who willfully inflicts pain and suffering shouldn't be trusted with a firearm.

:drinks:
However, unfortunately they are out there...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Jul 2018, 4:26 pm

YoungBuck wrote:
Stix wrote:As a general rule im not a believer in standing back--ive seen (& ive been a cuprit here too) when standing back the bullet graze the animal & further wound it...so walk up to it & put the poor thing out of its misery.

Agree with this. A misery shot for me is either point blank to the head or from 10m away. With the scope being above the barrel, at only 1-2 m your shot will go well low (1-2") of where your scope is aiming, crucial if you are aiming for the head.

bigfellascott wrote:FMD just shoot it with whatever ammo you have they all work if you use them right.

If you've only got a .22, I agree just use whatevers in the chamber/mag. But if im shooting my 243 and have the .22 in the car with me I'd much rather use a 10c subsonic rimfire round to finish off game rather than a centrefire round I've worked hard to perfect.

I just shoot em no netter what I have in my hand, mind you it’s rare I have to shoot em twice.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by albat » 04 Jul 2018, 5:16 pm

im presuming you carrying a .22 in the truck for finishing the afforementioned stuff , thats been shot with a bigger calibre , just me but i prefer to carry one rifle and finish off manually dont like firing low velocity ammo close to me and dont want to waste a round of 308 to finish off
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Jul 2018, 5:25 pm

albat wrote:im presuming you carrying a .22 in the truck for finishing the afforementioned stuff , thats been shot with a bigger calibre , just me but i prefer to carry one rifle and finish off manually dont like firing low velocity ammo close to me and dont want to waste a round of 308 to finish off
Last edited by bigfellascott on 07 Jul 2018, 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by tom604 » 06 Jul 2018, 11:00 pm

two mtr length of i" water pipe fixes most things and you have a bit of distance just in case a big rabbit wants to have a last kick :allegedly: :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by southwest shooter » 07 Jul 2018, 10:46 am

Any 22 ammo you want to get rid off !
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey