how long did it take you to learn to process a hunt?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: how long did it take you to learn to process a hunt?

Post by Gwion » 07 Jul 2018, 4:34 pm

Stix wrote:Whatever you do mate, & im not most certainly not intending to tread on anyones toes here, but dont get ahead of yourself & too caught up in fancy cuts if you're just beginning.
Some people do a 4 year full time apprenticeship as a butcher & still cant butcher a carcass, & some of them follow on with another few years as a butcher & still cant properly butcher an animal into fancy cuts.

Slow cook a bunny in lotsa liquid with vegies/cover & slow(ish) cook a young goat leg...& you'll be hooked...!!

Even if you dont 'like' the taste of the first bunny you kill & cook, you will appreciate it more than any chicken you've ever eaten.

I rekon eating your own kill is something pretty special...
Stew your first bunny, then with your first goat or deer & just rip off a leg n chuck it in the oven... :thumbsup:
After that you extend the house for the extra gun safes, the extra fridges n freezers & all the vaccuum packers, mincers & sausage makers...& thats not to mention all the guns n bludy knives you'll buy along the way...!!! :o
Then worry about cuts :drinks:

This is basically what i was getting at with my question. It's not too hard to learn how to punch the skin off an animal and joint it out, keep a couple of rosting joints and then bone out the rest for diced meat or stirfry strips.
Learning to cut decent cuts is another matter.
I'm fussy when i do a beast (moo) or sheep because i like proper cuts and hate waste. Most people locally just have a bandsaw for sheep and take two leg roasts and zip the rest into pretty basic chops. Same can be done with most medium sized game.

After doing a few, you will start to get the hang of it. Learning to get you knife through the right spot to easily separate joints is the trick bit for beginners. I'm still hit and miss when it comes to finding the right spot to easily remove the head.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey