Eating wild rabbit

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Eating wild rabbit

Post by tom604 » 21 Jul 2014, 2:04 pm

Lorgar wrote:
tom604 wrote:ive heard that they call rabbits ,,,underground chicken :lol: :lol: :twisted:

I'm not rising to the bait of you jokers any more :P

why not ???

chicken? :D :D :lol:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Lorgar » 22 Jul 2014, 10:25 pm

Nope. Pretty sure I'd taste very different :P
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Wilso1994 » 22 Jul 2014, 11:48 pm

tom604 wrote:
Lorgar wrote:Shut your chicken hole :P

still got that chicken fetish going :lol: :lol:

ive heard that they call rabbits ,,,underground chicken :lol: :lol: :twisted:

I believe the term is "underground mutton" :P I'm 20 now and I have been eating rabbits since... I really can't remember lol a long time ago. Soak them in skim milk for stews and such, if you are looking at a baked bunny you want to get a 25lt bucket with a lid (must have a lid for this with the milk it doesn't matter) add 20ltrs of cold water a pinch of salt and about a tbl spoon of white vinegar, then add either worstershire sauce or relish to the mix. If you like the sauce add a fair bit. Soak it for a day with the bucket in the fridge. Bake wrapped in foil with lots of thyme garlic rosemary and some lemon grass stuffed inside it, use like a lot of butter on the inside and out. Bake until the juices run clear. With a stew just use a slow cooker to cook the meat, use veg stock and water to do this. Remove the bones when they practically fall out of the meat. Add fresh chopped carrots and beans, two tablespoons of home brand gravy powder a chopped onion 2 cloves of garlic and mashed potato. I'm no chef but I love food ;) rabbit especially :P and to go with this if a rabbit has gummy eyes, fur falling out or just looks scabby, leave it. Not worth the risk. We don't get spotty rabbits here but I always check the liver like the bloke from the uk said to do.
Howa 1500 SS .223, Lithgow 12 .22, Stirling .22 Hornet
Wilso1994
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Josh Smith » 23 Jul 2014, 2:26 am

Hello,

Rabbit is a fine dish.

A lot of gamey taste in wild critters of any sort comes from the heat being trapped. Field dressing is not enough; the fur holds in an incredible amount of heat.

The best way to fix this is to gut, skin, and quarter in the field, then throw them on ice.

Soaking in salt water over night is then not necessary, but can be done if you wish.

A thorough cooking should kill all parasites and bacteria. Don't eat bunny raw, of course, or you could indeed get sick.

Just a couple things I've learned from being a small game hunter for half my life, and fisherman for literally all my life. The above works well on fish, too.

Regards,

Josh
Josh Smith
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by AusC » 23 Jul 2014, 2:48 pm

Josh Smith wrote:A thorough cooking should kill all parasites and bacteria. Don't eat bunny raw, of course, or you could indeed get sick.

Fair to say that for anything shot in the wild IMO.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 28 Jul 2014, 12:47 pm

I used to have a pie heater fitted to the exhaust manifold of my XE falcon work van, a rabbit shot on the way to work (always had the 10/22 behind the seat)cut into pieces and thrown into foil with butter, and KFC seasoning(thanks little brother) was lunch 300 kilometers later.

Had to roll the foil water tight otherwise it dried out too much.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by MeccaOz » 28 Jul 2014, 1:33 pm

Strong meat ... But they do taste really good. My grandmother used to cook them up and I can say I was first in line for a feed.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Warrigul » 28 Jul 2014, 2:24 pm

AusC wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:How about hares ... Thats one i'v never bothered to eat. Anyone tried them ?

I haven't, but I imagine it would be much the same.

Same animal group, same diet, same environments... Not sure what would be different.

Hare are disgusting, very strong tasting, I give them all to Dad and he eats them. They bleed forever and their fur falls out everywhere after you shoot them. They don't seem to be as badly affected by the calicivirus as the local rabbits are.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by MeccaOz » 28 Jul 2014, 4:22 pm

Warrigul wrote:
AusC wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:How about hares ... Thats one i'v never bothered to eat. Anyone tried them ?

I haven't, but I imagine it would be much the same.

Same animal group, same diet, same environments... Not sure what would be different.

Hare are disgusting, very strong tasting, I give them all to Dad and he eats them. They bleed forever and their fur falls out everywhere after you shoot them. They don't seem to be as badly affected by the calicivirus as the local rabbits are.

We dont get hare's here. But looking at this one gave me a chuckle, a bugger me they are big ... Best I put in the 375 H&H if I go Hare hunting like Elmer Fudd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z1VMHZCVq8
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by dustin » 29 Jul 2014, 11:07 am

Wrong place, wrong time for that guy :lol:
dustin
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Uchunter » 03 Feb 2015, 3:25 pm

Have a look at this link. Yes there is a gland you need to remove..

http://www.wikihow.com/Eat-Wild-Rabbit
Uchunter
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Westy » 04 Feb 2015, 7:05 am

I normally put mine on the spin cycle first as I'm trying to wash the DIRT Flavour outta the little Buggers
!!!!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Feb 2015, 8:50 am

Yep I soak mine in water and vinegar mix, I'm not into the strong taste that can come from them. I then soak them in milk for a day then role them in eggs and crumb them brown all over, then into a pot with mushies and onions (browned) then I cover the rabbit half way up it with chicken stock and cook for around 1hr or there abouts (till the meat pulls of the bone) then I add some cream to help thicken the sauce.

It goes down a treat with the family I can tell you - the other thing I do is make sure I only use young rabbits (I don't like the old buck rabbits) the young ones are tender and not as strong in wild rabbit flavour.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by vonfram88 » 04 Feb 2015, 12:42 pm

After skinning and gutting, hang it for a day. Find a fist sized rock and place in the body cavity before putting into the oven in a roast tray covered in olive oil and garlic. Cook slowly for 2 hours at 180. Remove the rock. Eat the rock.
He that hath no sword; let him sell his garment and buy one.
vonfram88
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Westy » 04 Feb 2015, 8:07 pm

vonfram88 wrote:After skinning and gutting, hang it for a day. Find a fist sized rock and place in the body cavity before putting into the oven in a roast tray covered in olive oil and garlic. Cook slowly for 2 hours at 180. Remove the rock. Eat the rock.

It's a bit like that isn't it!!!
I think I'll stick to venison and beer myself :clap: :drinks: :clap:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by heron » 05 Feb 2015, 2:12 pm

vonfram88 wrote:Remove the rock. Eat the rock.

rock_lobster.jpg
rock_lobster.jpg (21 KiB) Viewed 8298 times
heron
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Feb 2015, 5:11 pm

Eat the rock. A nice variation on the galah joke. Lol
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by schink » 06 Feb 2015, 8:37 am

Rock Lobster!
schink
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 11 Feb 2015, 8:47 am

Assuming no disease, the younger the rabbit the better.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by sally-bee » 12 Feb 2015, 9:35 am

Warrigul wrote:You should stop eating them straight away and send them to me for proper disposal. :twisted:

"proper disposal"

get_in_my_belly.gif
get_in_my_belly.gif (308.66 KiB) Viewed 7723 times
sally-bee
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Shadd » 25 Mar 2016, 1:11 am

O how I long for rabbit stew haven't had it in ages I know dad used soak it overnight with apples or something I'll have get the recipe off of him. Hey here a interesting fact rabbits have no nutritional value what so ever so eat them with other things stews casseroles what ever your fancy
Read it in al old British s.a.s book.
They let rabbits loose on an island for shipwrecked sailors and the like and the sailors would eat them but still die of starvation with a full belly.
'Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night and when you move,fall like the thunderbolt.' ~ Sun Tzu
Shadd
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 25 Mar 2016, 11:16 am

Shadd wrote:O how I long for rabbit stew haven't had it in ages I know dad used soak it overnight with apples or something I'll have get the recipe off of him. Hey here a interesting fact rabbits have no nutritional value what so ever so eat them with other things stews casseroles what ever your fancy
Read it in al old British s.a.s book.
They let rabbits loose on an island for shipwrecked sailors and the like and the sailors would eat them but still die of starvation with a full belly.

I believe that. Rabbit flesh is lean, having little fat. Those sailors had protein but no fat for energy.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 25 Mar 2016, 11:47 am

That rabbit has zero nutritional value.... is ridiculous. The meat has fat, protein, mineral etc.... its just leaner than most other meats, and has more or less the amount of protein.

The probably starved because that had to hunt and kill many rabbit to get their fill, or to spread the meat between the crew.
It was probably a case of eating rabbit only, nothing else to be found.... probably why pigs and goats were also release from ships.

Just as anything, your body need a variety of food sources as many foods, whether animal or vegetable might be healthy as a component in the diet, but on their own could cause issues due to either very high or very low quantities of certain compounds or minerals....

Give me rabbit any day (not every day though) :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Shadd » 25 Mar 2016, 12:26 pm

Hmm well it have some but we may use more nutrients digesting it then the rabbit is able to supply I dunno but if you can find the book
'The S.A.S survival handbook' by John Wiseman

You might have to really search for it but it's a hell of a read the author apparently was in the sas for 26 years tells you how to survive plane crashes and shipwrecks kinda like bear grylls but way before his show was even thought of tells how to make traps aswell but some can kill humans so they can't be left unattended what plants you can eat and which can kill you look for it if you can it's worth it.

Way more in depth to then the show.

Edit(did some reading):

Rabbit starvation, also referred to as protein poisoning or mal de caribou or fat starvation, is a rare form of acute malnutrition thought to be caused by a complete absence of dietary fat intake coupled with ad lib protein consumption.

Excess protein is sometimes cited as the cause of this issue; when meat and fat are consumed in the correct ratio, such as that found in pemmican, the diet is considered nutritionally complete, and can support humans for months or more. Other stressors, such as severe cold or dry environment, may intensify symptoms or decrease time to onset. Symptoms include diarrhea, headache, fatigue, low blood pressure and slow heart rate, and a vague discomfort and hunger (very similar to a food craving) that can be satisfied only by the consumption of fat.

Rabbit meat is very lean. Commercial rabbit meat has 50–100 g dissectable fat per 2 kg (live weight). Based on a carcass yield of 60%, rabbit meat is around 8.3% fat. [1] For comparison, in terms of carcass composition, beef is 32% fat, pork is 32%, and lamb is 28%. [2] Pemmican is 50% fat by weight.
'Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night and when you move,fall like the thunderbolt.' ~ Sun Tzu
Shadd
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 25 Mar 2016, 1:44 pm

SAS survival PDF from here:
http://filepi.com/i/pvzJGCU

It's zipped so get the unzipper here:
http://www.7-zip.org/

I dont think its a matter of lack of nutrients... I think its as with every food, on its own it doesnt provide sufficient levels of all necessary nutrients for the human metabolism....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 25 Mar 2016, 1:46 pm

Eight and a half thousand Views???
Holy Rabbit poo batman.... that a lot of interest in Rabbit!!
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Shadd » 25 Mar 2016, 4:18 pm

Well a lot of people like rabbits :thumbsup:
That's the book haha didn't even think about looking online for it but oh well
Shadd
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 25 Mar 2016, 6:33 pm

Watch out for Rabbit Fever. I know it's different there but we only eat them after a freeze and a snow. Other places you have to talk to the locals. I brought this up before but it sounds like it's not widespread in Oz.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 25 Mar 2016, 6:57 pm

Title_II wrote:Watch out for Rabbit Fever. I know it's different there but we only eat them after a freeze and a snow. Other places you have to talk to the locals. I brought this up before but it sounds like it's not widespread in Oz.

sometimes I get rabbit fever.... when there are so many about and you cant reload fast enough :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Title_II » 25 Mar 2016, 7:04 pm

That's the good kind :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

PreviousNext