Crazy bullet paths

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Crazy bullet paths

Post by Bigjobss » 15 Jul 2018, 5:07 pm

Share youre weird bullet path stories with me.
So I shot a small hind yesterday from about 20m with my 300wm and 165gr Barnes TTSX,
The animal was broadside quatering towards me on even ground with.

Now the inteteresting part, I shot through its left shoulder, the projectile went through both shoulders then deflected from the right shoulder back towards the rear legs, on it path it sliced a 8" path along he ribcage before going through the rear right thigh! WTF? Still recovered lot of good meat thats aging in the fridge atm, but suprised by the bullet path, I had heard of wacky bullets but never experienced it first hand before.
Bigjobss

Re: Crazy bullet paths

Post by deanp100 » 16 Jul 2018, 5:07 pm

Not a crazy one but very precise. Shot a fox in the head with a 223 when I was a young fella. I hit it from the front and the bullet opened him up from the impact point to his tail, straight down the spine. It looked like a ran a knife full length. It was a basically perfect cut.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 16 Jul 2018, 7:58 pm

Bigjobss wrote:Share youre weird bullet path stories with me.
So I shot a small hind yesterday from about 20m with my 300wm and 165gr Barnes TTSX,
The animal was broadside quatering towards me on even ground with.

Now the inteteresting part, I shot through its left shoulder, the projectile went through both shoulders then deflected from the right shoulder back towards the rear legs, on it path it sliced a 8" path along he ribcage before going through the rear right thigh! WTF? Still recovered lot of good meat thats aging in the fridge atm, but suprised by the bullet path, I had heard of wacky bullets but never experienced it first hand before.

Hate to tell you this, but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
I was there at the same time, and shot at the precise time that you did,, except from the other side.

:allegedly:

:lol: :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Bigjobss » 17 Jul 2018, 7:21 am

Damn you DJ, you better come round and get your share of the meat then :lol: :lol:
Bigjobss

Post by sungazer » 17 Jul 2018, 8:28 am

Could be the same type of bullet that killed JFK
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by No1Mk3 » 17 Jul 2018, 10:32 am

Projies do take strange paths sometimes, a chap I worked with took a 5.56 in the buttock, after cracking his hip it went down the back of his leg fracturing the femur, and exited under his knee cap. Showed us the scarring from the bullet, which seemed negligible, and the surgery which looked like it was done with a machete!
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 Jul 2018, 5:38 pm

Not a crazy bullet path as such but I was shooting on a farm out west on the weekend and the bullet went through the critter and hit a rock and richocheted off somewhere with an almighty "Wa-aaaaannngggg". Imagine the most stereotypical sound effect from any cowboy western film you've ever seen and that was it
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 17 Jul 2018, 7:45 pm

Not a crazy bullet path, but a crazy result...
Ive shot a squillion bunnies at all ranges with a 22lr fed with sub HP"s, & as a general rule, the closer you shoot em, the more devastating the result.

Spotlighting one night & a bunny ran into the mallee, so i grabbed the 22 with a torch & went in after it...finally caught up with it after a circus contortionist act & lobbed a very shaky & bad placed shot into it...
If you hit them in the head, you get a sharper "crack" noise, if you hit them in the chest/guts you get a distict "pop" noise...

Well i got a very distinct "crack" so i knew id hit it in the head, but when i picked him up his head was intact, & was without any entry or exit wound & neither eye was popping out its head. Also, there was no blood....i figured id hit it in the chest guts but was dismayed at the fact there was no blood given i shot it from no more than 7 metres away (and obviously a bad shot at that).
Upon gutting & un-dressing it, i still couldnt find the bullet hole, as there was no bruising to be found.
Close inspection revealed one broken rib and a small puncture, so i carefully removed the heart n lungs to find the heart being a mash of muscle, but no bleeding, clotting etc...the lungs were fine.
I could not find the bullet or any fragments of it, & there was no exit wound or bruising to be seen....& i took many pics as i was dissecting it.
A mystery...but It was tender divine eating.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bills Shed » 18 Jul 2018, 12:32 pm

As a kid I loved chasing rabbits. After a particular wet week the back paddock was pretty much saturated with lots water sitting in this very flat paddock. I had a old single shot, manual cocking, open sighted Winchester rifle ( you know the type) and took aim at a miserable looking rabbit way out to buggery. Not being overly confident I leaned on the back fence and fired. To my surprise I saw the splash of the bullet in the waterlogged paddock as it bounced twice and then hit the rabbit! Just like a skipping stone. Trudged out to the rabbit in my gumboots and recovered the projectile from under the skin. No distortion whatsoever ever. It was a fluke shot but as a kid I thought I was the guts.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey