A few less ferals

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

A few less ferals

Post by Member-Deleted » 25 Jul 2018, 10:18 am

There were two more but couldn't get to them with my bad knees to take pic's
7mm does the job fine, quiet pleased with it 168gr vld's
Good sets of horns on the black one
All clean skins no domestics gone wild scrubbers at their best
Attachments
Pic_0725_070.jpg
Pic_0725_070.jpg (203.51 KiB) Viewed 9339 times
Pic_0725_069.jpg
Pic_0725_069.jpg (208.52 KiB) Viewed 9339 times
Pic_0725_068.jpg
Pic_0725_068.jpg (194.48 KiB) Viewed 9339 times
Pic_0725_067.jpg
Pic_0725_067.jpg (208.08 KiB) Viewed 9339 times
Member-Deleted

Re: A few less ferals

Post by RoginaJack » 25 Jul 2018, 10:30 am

:clap: :clap: well done!
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 25 Jul 2018, 11:54 am

Nice!! :thumbsup: :drinks:
That black looks like it's got zebu (I think that's what they're called) in it. Would make a great piece for above a bar etc!!! :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Pythonkeeper » 25 Jul 2018, 12:16 pm

Very nice.... :thumbsup: ya should be able to scrape a steak or two off that lot....head would make a nice Euro mount too...
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 25 Jul 2018, 1:03 pm

well done :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by T Dog » 25 Jul 2018, 8:14 pm

Nice one good to see people getting out a reducing numbers. I am a little confused as to where in oz one hunts cows and try and herd them up? That said wish I could knock over one or two to fill the freezer
T Dog
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 25 Jul 2018, 10:00 pm

That black one looks kooky......
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 25 Jul 2018, 10:18 pm

Yeah Bent Arrow that's years of in breeding in the wild it looks like one of those wilderbeasts from africa
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 25 Jul 2018, 10:42 pm

I don't know about cows T Dog there's only 1 cow there the rest are bulls they're old breeds not like modern day breeds
I doubt whether any of them have laid eyes on humans other than over their shoulder when running for the scrub
Most station owners know where to find scrubbers or have had dealings with them
Scrubbers are bad news to farmers growing crops and to station owners trying to establish a breed that brings in returns because they breed
down the herd and have less weight than the heavier modern breeds thus there is profit loss at the meat works
300 acre crop growers can be wiped out in a week by a very small herd of scrubbers as well as smash down fences at a large cost to the land holder
North qld has a large number of scrubbers different to what the national parks say because that's mostly where the scrubbers are breeding in the parks
because of no shooting in the parks
They come down from the hills in the dry and cause problems mostly damaging crops where I am they are feral and wild unowned so they have to be delt with
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 25 Jul 2018, 10:57 pm

Yeah Midwestman the skins look good in the pics but there is a lot of tick blemish and hair loss when you look close
As far as eating them I can't remove them or meat from the property ( they're the rules I contract under )
Member-Deleted

Post by Gaznazdiak » 28 Jul 2018, 4:53 pm

Hey GB,
My apologies if this is a dumbarse question, me being a dumbarse a lot of the time I tend to ask a few.

I've seen reports about people making a good dollar from mustering feral cattle, buffalo, horses etc for the wild meat, dogmeat trade, was this not an option here?
Bearing in mind I have no idea of the topography of the area in question.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 28 Jul 2018, 6:30 pm

Yeah Gaznazdiak some people do trap but getting them out is a different matter from where I shoot
We have trapped a few further around the range but they knock themselves around in the cattle yards and truck they get buggar all for bruised meat
Then you have to have tail tags to show who now owns them before they are put to the slaughter yards
Its not viable for the crop farmers to have all the gear to catch a few scrubbers
If you owned a fair lump of land and had quiet a few scrubbers then it is very viable but scrubbers are rarely caught on level ground or an easy place
to get at and some of the land owners sometimes have to push a track in with a dozer to set up traps
The ones I shoot come down to the crops at night and by the time you get close to them they're at least 100m up the side of the mountain and I can only shoot them as they cross clear patches in the lantana
To get the pics I had to crawl up 200m under the lantana the next morning to the scrubbers and I tell you I was packin as there could have been more just sitting
waiting for me
They would kill you in an instance if you stumbled onto a mob in the lantana
And no mate its not a dumbarse question its a very reasonable one
Member-Deleted

Post by Gaznazdiak » 28 Jul 2018, 7:14 pm

Fair enough GB,
Topography is king when you're mustering, eh?.

Having had to clear lantana with machinery, bastard of a job, I can't begin to imagine hunting in the sh!t.
Good work.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 28 Jul 2018, 7:31 pm

I still cant believe you get to shoot cows man....!!!
Gees if i lived up there the fridge would just be for beer...& id build a walk in freezer i rekon...

Shootn cows...thats a rippa...!!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 28 Jul 2018, 8:44 pm

Well Wm.Traynor I don't know about exciting, but I would like a week without pain would be nice
I'm not one to lay down and die but it does test me out some days as the other day when I crawled 200m up the mountain I could hardly walk the next day
and still paying for it
I'm just pig headed and can't sit still its been almost 2yrs since I had my knees replaced and am sick of being dependant on everyone so I get out and
put up with as much pain as possible mind you there some days it's overbearing
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 28 Jul 2018, 8:58 pm

Yes i'm hearing ya Stix but you need only one person to see, hear or say something and council would be all over me
And i'm pretty sure they would revoke the permits for their removal ( scrubbers )
It's easier for me to leave them there and get paid
Member-Deleted

Post by Wm.Traynor » 29 Jul 2018, 10:23 am

grandadbushy wrote:Well Wm.Traynor I don't know about exciting, but I would like a week without pain would be nice
I'm not one to lay down and die but it does test me out some days as the other day when I crawled 200m up the mountain I could hardly walk the next day
and still paying for it
I'm just pig headed and can't sit still its been almost 2yrs since I had my knees replaced and am sick of being dependant on everyone so I get out and

Had your knees replaced and they're still crook? That's terrible :o :x and if you wanted them fixed again it would cost you you more pain, etc, no doubt :problem:
You're in one Hell of a fix :crazy: and I hope you can get out of it.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by marksman » 29 Jul 2018, 10:41 am

grandadbushy wrote:Well Wm.Traynor I don't know about exciting, but I would like a week without pain would be nice
and still paying for it

what you are doing grandadbushy is living :thumbsup:
and even though there is a huge cost to you because of the knees you are not laying down :drinks:
way to go :thumbsup: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 29 Jul 2018, 1:45 pm

grandadbushy wrote:Yes i'm hearing ya Stix but you need only one person to see, hear or say something and council would be all over me
And i'm pretty sure they would revoke the permits for their removal ( scrubbers )
It's easier for me to leave them there and get paid

Fair enough grandad.
If they are feral, why cant you use them...?
Is it all about disease etc...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Elmer » 29 Jul 2018, 2:55 pm

Plenty of burgers there Grandad :thumbsup: well done mate.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Jul 2018, 4:47 pm

Thanks Wm.Traynor but I think that's a little down the track because the doctors say that i'm about where i'll stay with the knees :thumbsdown:
but it is possible for them to slowly get better but it will take a long time
That's why I push the envelope as much as I can
cheers mate :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Jul 2018, 5:35 pm

No Stix mate its political BS I've been told by my local council that the scrubbers are not classed as feral they are classed as wild cattle therefore
they don't come under the feral umbrella and actually could belong to someone
''What a load of crap''
Awhile back there was talk of doing an aerial shoot from choppers because of the scare of TB but common sense prevailed as they wouldn't shoot
many because of the cover the cattle had with all the lantana and scrub
As far as eating them i'd eat them because there has been no recorded disease in this area
Member-Deleted

Post by Daddybang » 29 Jul 2018, 6:04 pm

grandadbushy wrote:No Stix mate its political BS I've been told by my local council that the scrubbers are not classed as feral they are classed as wild cattle therefore
they don't come under the feral umbrella and actually could belong to someone
''What a load of crap''
Awhile back there was talk of doing an aerial shoot from choppers because of the scare of TB but common sense prevailed as they wouldn't shoot
many because of the cover the cattle had with all the lantana and scrub
As far as eating them i'd eat them because there has been no recorded disease in this area

Wild cattle and native peacock's :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ya council lives in f@#kin dreamland granddad.
Any clean skin on a private property can be shot by the landholder or their representative
Unless it's a calf at its tagged/branded mothers foot. (As I'm sure ya know :drinks: )
The meat can be consumed on the property but cannot be taken off unless it's to be inspected for retail.
Someone needs to give ya council a slappin!!! :crazy: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Jul 2018, 9:07 pm

Yeah Daddybang that's exactly right that's why I can't take it the farmers could eat it but I don't know of any that want it
as the scrubbers aren't in the best of condition when they start coming over the mountain
As far as the council goes too many making too many wrong decisions and too much BS coming from their offices but unfortunately they
have last say
I'm just happy to keep doing the things the way I've done in the past years I get plenty of respect from the locals and farmers for taking care of the
scrubbers and ferals and the fringe benefits out weigh it all ( nuff said )
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 29 Jul 2018, 10:13 pm

Again...fair enough grandad... :thumbsup:

I was just asking out of curiosity mate.
But i cant believe you cant take meat off property if its for private comsumption...??? What about taking a bunny...??...its all just meat...!!

Governing powers are just bewildering i know...
Its abhorrent that people are homeless & csnt afford to eat yet we destroy hundreds of thousands of dollars of meat & leave it to rot.

Id almost try whip out some backstrap or fillet of that beef & sew up the skin again with fishing line...lol

But best to do the right thing... :thumbsup:

I was out couple weeks ago & watched 3 mobs of roos munching & flattening the fresh shoots of a farmers crops.
He will have some big holes in his crops this year & i dont think he reslises how bad they are...
He askes me how many i shot, i said none but could have got between 6-24...

He would prefer i bowl them over but he hasnt applied for his permit.
I offered to do paperwork & pay for tags so i can take meat but he wont do it.

I wont turn his loss of crop into my loss by me getting caught dropping a roo without permit.

I did watch a young but fully grown big Red buck kanga feeding for a while...bludy handsome fella he was & in great nik with a beautiful coat on him.
In a way im glad the farmer had no permit or i probably would have dropped that big red majestic fella,..
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 29 Jul 2018, 10:48 pm

Yeah Stix its not morally right I know with all the waste in the world today but there is too much to loose for me to not do legal and ethical
as far as my shooting goes
There are a lot of personalities , beliefs, needs and moods from farmers so I treat them all with respect and equal and have no problems thus far
and that's been 30-40 years
Member-Deleted

Post by Daddybang » 30 Jul 2018, 7:31 am

grandadbushy wrote:I'm just happy to keep doing the things the way I've done in the past years I get plenty of respect from the locals and farmers for taking care of the
scrubbers and ferals and the fringe benefits out weigh it all ( nuff said )

Great way to look at life grandad :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 30 Jul 2018, 9:55 am

Even your own farmed cattle even if you butcher them yourself or even have a professional butcher but killed on your own property by law the meat cannot leave the front gate. You have to take cattle to a registered slaughter house. Crazy stuff really.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Daddybang » 30 Jul 2018, 10:15 am

sungazer wrote:Even your own farmed cattle even if you butcher them yourself or even have a professional butcher but killed on your own property by law the meat cannot leave the front gate. You have to take cattle to a registered slaughter house. Crazy stuff really.

Yep and then the same Galah's that make these decisions. Are the first to jump up and down about the starving Masses!!! :crazy:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 30 Jul 2018, 10:39 am

Yes that's right here in qld we can't keep rabbits for our own eating but they run wild here it doesn't make sense
A domestic rabbit probably wouldn't survive in the wild after being bred in captivity although you wouldn't know
Member-Deleted

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control