Snake Report

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Snake Report

Post by winton » 07 Sep 2018, 12:58 am

It's that time of year again. Weather is getting warmer in Victoria, so wondering if the folks in Victoria's eastern ranges have seen snakes pop up yet?

How many more days/weeks have we got before we call this hunting season over?

I suppose the flies will be out and about also.
winton
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Snake Report

Post by Bigjobss » 07 Sep 2018, 8:54 am

Havent seen any yet.

I will be hunting lowlands every weekend for the next month then will take a short break before my trips start into the high country during November.

Then its fishing over summer, ducks on rice depending on numbers, NSW and Tas fallow in march, vic duck season and back to autumn/winter Sambar...got my year planned out already :lol: :drinks:
Must remember to buy the missus a bunch of flowers!
Bigjobss
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 07 Sep 2018, 1:09 pm

I haven't seen any yet. But they would definaltely be staring to come out. Even a couple of weeks ago it felt warm enough to me. They probably just wouldn't be that active.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 07 Sep 2018, 2:12 pm

winton wrote:It's that time of year again. Weather is getting warmer in Victoria, so wondering if the folks in Victoria's eastern ranges have seen snakes pop up yet?

Do you really stop hunting just because of snakes?
Bent Arrow
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

South Australia

Post by Jon79 » 07 Sep 2018, 2:23 pm

plenty of shingle backs and bearded dragons (no not the mother inlaw lol) out and about so no doubt the slippery's are out and about too.....time start having a better look where that foot goes, always fun when you step one foot over a log and realise there's a big brown laid up against the other side lol
Jon79
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Pythonkeeper » 07 Sep 2018, 2:26 pm

I usually see snakes out all winter when hunting and fishing etc, mainly eastern browns and red belly blacks, didn’t see any this year as it was a bit cooler this year from previous years.
I’m a bit of a reptile nut so they never bother me, I actually like seeing them out and about.
They are nearly a daily occurrence at work through the warmer months (landscape gardener), I also keep a large collection of snakes at home so obviously a daily occurrence there.
Pythonkeeper
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by BangBangSkeetSkeet » 07 Sep 2018, 3:05 pm

anyone wear / recommend gaiters or the like, on top of the boots? I've never worried or even thought about snakes much before but my last hunting outing was solo, on a 40,000 hectare property with the nearest town at least an hour's drive away.
Last edited by BangBangSkeetSkeet on 07 Sep 2018, 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My choice is what I choose to do, and if I'm causing no harm why should it bother you?
Your choice is who choose to be, and if you're causing no harm then you're alright with me
BangBangSkeetSkeet
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 07 Sep 2018, 3:50 pm

winton wrote:It's that time of year again. Weather is getting warmer in Victoria, so wondering if the folks in Victoria's eastern ranges have seen snakes pop up yet?

We've got a large skink living in the woodpile the past two weeks, but we haven't seen any snakes around yet.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 07 Sep 2018, 5:02 pm

Plenty of dugites and tigers where I hunt
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Major
Major

Western Australia

Post by bigpete » 07 Sep 2018, 8:14 pm

Bent Arrow wrote:

Do you really stop hunting just because of snakes?

Pretty lame hey
bigpete
Captain
Captain

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 07 Sep 2018, 10:31 pm

winton wrote:It's that time of year again. Weather is getting warmer in Victoria, .

WTF :unknown: Has the temp down there exceeded zero degrees for some unfathomable reason ?

:lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
Die Judicii
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 07 Sep 2018, 10:37 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
winton wrote:It's that time of year again. Weather is getting warmer in Victoria, .

WTF :unknown: Has the temp down there exceeded zero degrees for some unfathomable reason ?

:lol:

If you stand out of the wind, and keep your hood up, it's almost tolerable...for a minute or two :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by grandadbushy » 07 Sep 2018, 11:14 pm

Got some big ones moving up here lately always see them dead on the road cleaned up by cars or trucks
Mainly browns and Taipans all well over 5ft and bloody savage to ( live ones that is )
Since the forestry has stopped burn offs around here and the nearby ranges snakes are breeding up well and larger
A few years ago the average size for a taipan was between 5ft -7ft prior to that when I was a young fella we had photo's of 8ft to 8ft 11 inch ones
and we are getting them again I actually pushes one out with a dozer from under a concrete slab which was being used for a bridge and he
measured 9ft 2 inches approx. 3m that's a big snake
grandadbushy
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Queensland

Post by Chappo » 08 Sep 2018, 12:09 am

Found an old Lithgow .410 conversion a few weeks back.
Keen to put it to use this season!!
Chappo
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bronco93 » 08 Sep 2018, 3:36 pm

Im not in victoria, but qld. Was out hunting with a mate last week. Almost stood on a red belly black. I know they reckon your suppose to stay still, but I legged it. Havent ran that fast since school. Luckily for me it was still pretty early in the morning so think he was out sunning himself, so dont think he had too much energy and slowly went the other direction.
Dozen 22lr .22WMR .22WRF .22hornet .223 .310 .303 .243 .30-30 20g 12g .410 32-20 .357 and a couple .58 muzzle loaders
bronco93
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 08 Sep 2018, 5:05 pm

Chappo wrote:Found an old Lithgow .410 conversion a few weeks back.

Don't shoot snakes!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 08 Sep 2018, 6:02 pm

Taste just like chicken
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Major
Major

Western Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 08 Sep 2018, 6:23 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Chappo wrote:Found an old Lithgow .410 conversion a few weeks back.

Don't shoot snakes!

I feel where you're coming from Blade, I feel sorry for the poor buggers, they can't help being snakes, but I have a set rule, I leave them alone on the road or in the paddock, but if they trespass in the yard where my little girl runs free, they are seriously endangered.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control