Snake Report

Game and varmint hunting. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Culling, hunting feral animals and vertebrate pest control.

Re: Snake Report

Post by Daddybang » 21 Oct 2018, 6:44 am

Gaznazdiak wrote:A bee sting?
What planet is your mate living on?
A fvcking BEE STING?

Michael, I'm glad you did some research and set yourself straight mate. Tiger snakes not only have very dangerous venom, they are also highly aggressive and will chase you down and bite you multiple times.

A bee sting.
Fvck a duck, where do these rumors come from?

Gday fellas
Its possible that Michaels mate handed him a (common name) Night Tiger.
This is a snake that looks a bit like a tiger snake that ya get down south but is really just a brown tree snake with.a different morph(coloring).
I've met many Mexicans that swear they've seen real tiger snakes up here but its only the night tiger :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Ziad » 21 Oct 2018, 6:48 am

I have heard that red belly blacks are extremely territorial and they don't allow abou other snakes in their area but not aggressive towards humans unlike the tiger. Maybe get him to have a friend on the other side and you will be rid of the tigers.
Blame it on the phone auto correct
Ziad
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 21 Oct 2018, 9:06 am

Daddybang wrote:
Gaznazdiak wrote:A bee sting?
What planet is your mate living on?
A fvcking BEE STING?

Michael, I'm glad you did some research and set yourself straight mate. Tiger snakes not only have very dangerous venom, they are also highly aggressive and will chase you down and bite you multiple times.

A bee sting.
Fvck a duck, where do these rumors come from?

Gday fellas
Its possible that Michaels mate handed him a (common name) Night Tiger.
This is a snake that looks a bit like a tiger snake that ya get down south but is really just a brown tree snake with.a different morph(coloring).
I've met many Mexicans that swear they've seen real tiger snakes up here but its only the night tiger :thumbsup: :drinks:

Well there you go.
Thanks DB, you can learn something every day here, eh?
:drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Major
Major

New South Wales

Post by Rod_outbak » 21 Oct 2018, 9:19 am

In Western QLD, there are plenty of people who still call the Collets snakes (Pseudechis colletti) a 'Downs Tiger'.

Whenever I hear it, I spend some time explaining that we dont get Tiger snakes of any sort, and IF people keep calling them a Downs Tiger, someone will eventually assume that they are dealing with a variety of Tiger, when trying to save a life.
NOT GOOD.
Collets snakes are closely related to King Brown(Mulga) and Red-Bellied Black Snakes. So, they are a member of the Black Snake family.

I didnt even know of a snake known as a Night Tiger, so that was new to me as well!
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 23 Oct 2018, 10:07 pm

Out n about on the weekend...the farmer has told me twice recently that there are lots of snakes sbout...
So i was out for an early morning stroll with the shotty & well protected with long cotton drill work pants, high over ankle leather work boots & gaiters,,,,,but still i nearly filled my pants...!!!

On my way back to the car storming along on a little trail near a line of mallee on the side of a track & heading into the morning sun, the brain registered a shape & i diverted my footing almost before being concious of doing so--reflex is a good thing eh...!!

But i dam near stepped on this & as i said i nearly filled my pants...

LMAO... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Check it out...!! :lol:

2018-10-23 21.57.36.jpg
WATCH OUT FOR THE SNAKE...!!!
2018-10-23 21.57.36.jpg (1.45 MiB) Viewed 449 times

Yep...its a piece of bark...!!! :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

South Australia

Post by Growler » 24 Oct 2018, 4:50 am

Im working on a large commercial construction site, with crawler cranes heavy plant all day creating heaps of noise and ground vibrations. Yesterday a 5' brown snake seen in the plumbers poly lay-down area. Second for the season
Just the necessity
Growler
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 24 Oct 2018, 3:33 pm

Stix wrote:Out n about on the weekend...the farmer has told me twice recently that there are lots of snakes sbout...
So i was out for an early morning stroll with the shotty & well protected with long cotton drill work pants, high over ankle leather work boots & gaiters,,,,,but still i nearly filled my pants...!!!

On my way back to the car storming along on a little trail near a line of mallee on the side of a track & heading into the morning sun, the brain registered a shape & i diverted my footing almost before being concious of doing so--reflex is a good thing eh...!!

But i dam near stepped on this & as i said i nearly filled my pants...

LMAO... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Check it out...!! :lol:

2018-10-23 21.57.36.jpg

Yep...its a piece of bark...!!! :lol:

I'm guessing its Bark is worse than it's bite mate! :lol: :friends: :drinks:
Daddybang
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 24 Oct 2018, 4:54 pm

+1 :lol: :lol:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Ziad » 25 Oct 2018, 6:36 am

Lol, it's like me looking at blue tongue lizards, the heart slips a couple of beats until you spy the tiny legs.... and thankfully snakes don't have legs
Blame it on the phone auto correct
Ziad
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Rod_outbak » 25 Oct 2018, 6:51 am

The Blue Tongues I meet around here even try to make you believe they might be slightly snake-ish, and flicker the tongue.
[Kinda hard to believe when you can see his legs and earholes...AND his tongue isnt forked...]

We get a lizard called a 'Burtons Legless Lizard' - very distinctive head, no fork in the tongue, and earholes. It doesnt stop them from striking at you when you get too close, even though it's all show...

Mind you; one of the goannas here (Spencers monitor) has his Number 1 plan as 'Pretend to be dead'!
Seems a bit silly to me...
The other 2 goanna types we get here opt for bluff, tail-slap and/or run away, but Mr Spencers believes that pretending to be dead is a GREAT first option!
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 25 Oct 2018, 7:35 am

Rod_outbak wrote:We get a lizard called a 'Burtons Legless Lizard' - very distinctive head, no fork in the tongue, and earholes. It doesnt stop them from striking at you when you get too close, even though it's all show...
!

One of these? :drinks:
(Sorry the photo isn't great but it's a photo of a photo on my wall :drinks: )

20181025_072634.jpg
20181025_072634.jpg (908.18 KiB) Viewed 384 times
Daddybang
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 25 Oct 2018, 8:22 am

Yep; Thats the gent. Grow to around 2ft long, and you'd have to be a village idiot to mistake them for a snake, but people often do.

[The heads all wrong, there's an earhole, he blinks, and he has a solid tongue; all key indicators he mightnt be quite as bitey as he pretends...]

Yet another reason why I shoot cats BEFORE I find out if anyone owns them...

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 25 Oct 2018, 8:26 am

Spencers Monitor I was talking about; doing his "I'm DEAD!" rendition...
[This one was around 5ft long, and in pretty good condition. Back in 2009, when it seemed to know how to rain occasionally...]
Attachments
Spencers Monitor 005 D700 26092009.JPG
Spencers Monitor 005 D700 26092009.JPG (473.72 KiB) Viewed 379 times
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by grandadbushy » 25 Oct 2018, 9:34 pm

He looks just too fat Rod to move :D
By gee he's in good nick, nice animal hey :thumbsup:
grandadbushy
Captain
Captain

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 26 Oct 2018, 6:48 am

Yeah, he looks like he'd be good eating!

Most times when found like this, you can walk up and nudge them with your boot, and they stay pretending dead. When you try to turn them over, they have a resurrection, and hiss and run off.
I keep thinking they have their PLan A and Plan B all mixed up; somehow...

I spent years thinking these(Varanus spencerii) were the Yellow-Spotted monitors(Varanus panoptes) we get around the main homestead; it took me over 40 years to realise that they had a different paint scheme and the head is different. These guys look a lot more prehistoric than the other monitors we see here.
Talk about the blind obvious being right in front of my face...
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 16 Nov 2018, 5:31 pm

On my way over to set up a target I came across Old Mate busy excavating in the track to the shearing shed.

It was only the wagging of his tail that saved me from running him over.

I managed to piss him off enough to retreat by touching his tail, hopefully he will decide on a safer venue for his project.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (706.38 KiB) Viewed 263 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (654.47 KiB) Viewed 263 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (421.12 KiB) Viewed 263 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (618.03 KiB) Viewed 263 times
6.jpg
6.jpg (678.42 KiB) Viewed 263 times
7.jpg
7.jpg (440.4 KiB) Viewed 263 times
8.jpg
8.jpg (397.74 KiB) Viewed 263 times
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Major
Major

New South Wales

Post by grandadbushy » 16 Nov 2018, 9:09 pm

Hey Gaznazdiak next time have a look at her belly mate she is full of eggs she's digging a nest the depth will vary to control the heat
during the incubation period
Wont be long you'll have some frillies running around and I don't mean ''frilly nickers'' either
grandadbushy
Captain
Captain

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 16 Nov 2018, 9:21 pm

grandadbushy wrote:Hey Gaznazdiak next time have a look at her belly mate she is full of eggs she's digging a nest the depth will vary to control the heat
during the incubation period
Wont be long you'll have some frillies running around and I don't mean ''frilly nickers'' either

I was hoping someone might recognize the breed.
So it's she not he. I thought that might be the case but my sexist, atheist, non-feminist ignorance forced me to use the eponymous "he".

I hope my pissing her off by playing with her tail has persuaded her to move. I'd hate to see her run down by my landlord.
He's a great bloke by most standards, just hasn't the time for species that don't turn a profit, unfortunately.
Thanks GB.
:drinks:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Major
Major

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and varminting