Snake Report

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Re: Snake Report

Post by Ziad » 25 Jan 2019, 6:52 am

bigfellascott wrote:A lady I know puts down flour along the garage opening when she finds a snake in there - why? cos it shows if the snakes come out of the garage or not!

Bush people are smart, city people would run screaming and get someone else to deal with it! :unknown:


Hey what's wrong with that.... actually the AIS should use it as training material for any prospective 100m runners. Devcon could make a guy who normally does 100m in 20sec get into the 10 seconds... with a little practice could easily get into the 9sec bracket
Blame it on the phone auto correct
Ziad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1
 
Posts: 1269
Victoria

Re: Snake Report

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Jan 2019, 7:12 am

Ziad wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:A lady I know puts down flour along the garage opening when she finds a snake in there - why? cos it shows if the snakes come out of the garage or not!

Bush people are smart, city people would run screaming and get someone else to deal with it! :unknown:


Hey what's wrong with that.... actually the AIS should use it as training material for any prospective 100m runners. Devcon could make a guy who normally does 100m in 20sec get into the 10 seconds... with a little practice could easily get into the 9sec bracket


:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:
User avatar
bigfellascott
General
General
 
Posts: 5974
-

Re: Snake Report

Post by YoungBuck » 28 Jan 2019, 4:42 pm

Just come back from a couple of days on the Murray.
Later on Sunday arvo the Mrs and I decided we'd go for a stroll and check out some of the other camp areas with the dog. She was running about 15m ahead of us and ran over top of a bigish stick on the track... the mrs said 'that kind of looks like a snake', my response being 'it IS a f#%king snake!!!'. Called the dog back, sat her down and then went to have a look. Was a brown - probably just under 1.5m I reckon. Dog was very lucky she didn't stand on it otherwise she may not be home with us today.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
User avatar
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 469
Victoria

Re: Snake Report

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Jan 2019, 9:01 am

The ol lady I was talking about said the snakes back (apparently theres another line through her flour she laid down at the entrance to her shed.
User avatar
bigfellascott
General
General
 
Posts: 5974
-

Re: Snake Report

Post by Gaznazdiak » 29 Jan 2019, 7:24 pm

OK, I had a chew in Aust post, now for another stirling Australian institution, bloody WIRES.

Had a real close one with a 5 foot Eastern Brown and my bare feet this afternoon so I locked up the dog in the house and decided to see from a distace where he was going.
He decided to get a bit of sun so I gave him a quick squirt with the hose to see if he had a bolt hole anywhere and the bugger just seemed to disappear into the ground.
Turns out that theres a small, disused rabbit hole there hidden by a bit of grass.

Wanting to do the right thing, I looked for a localish snake catcher but the google wasn't having it, so I tried wires.
Whoever the halfwit vegan shower of sh!t was that designed the phone menu needs a vigorous rooting with a splintery stick.

After pissing you around with choices, number 6 lets you report an injured critter or such.
The the woman on the recording goes through a whole speil about what to do if you've got an injured raptor, then what to do wth other wildlife, alpha-fvcking-betically, until she gets to " What to do about snakes and monitor lizards" and she gives a PHD thesis presentation on the monitor.

I was so boiling mad by then I hung up.
In the country with most of the top 10 deadliest critters on the planet, even I would imagine the first thing on the list would be the ones that can kill you.

So I ended up putting the hose into the hole and standing by with the 12g, but he must have decided retreat was best when he sensed me move off, or he can reeeally hold his breath.

WIRES, epic fail from day 1.
fideles usque ad mortem
User avatar
Gaznazdiak
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet
 
Posts: 1973
New South Wales

Re: Snake Report

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Jan 2019, 9:27 pm

I doubt there are many around here who would ring wires to deal with their snake problems! :D

I hear conduit is handy dealing with them apparently.
User avatar
bigfellascott
General
General
 
Posts: 5974
-

Re: Snake Report

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Jan 2019, 9:48 pm

bigfellascott wrote:The ol lady I was talking about said the snakes back (apparently theres another line through her flour she laid down at the entrance to her shed.


Like I said before Scott,,,,,
Which direction are the trails headed ???

Inward ?
or
Outward ?
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
User avatar
Die Judicii
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
 
Posts: 2362
Queensland

Re: Snake Report

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Jan 2019, 10:40 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:The ol lady I was talking about said the snakes back (apparently theres another line through her flour she laid down at the entrance to her shed.


Like I said before Scott,,,,,
Which direction are the trails headed ???

Inward ?
or
Outward ?


From my understanding she put some down when she knew the snake was in the shed and wanted to know if it had left the shed or not and from what she said it had left some time that day and she noticed another mark in the flour which would indicate it headed back into the shed a day or two later. :drinks:
User avatar
bigfellascott
General
General
 
Posts: 5974
-

Re: Snake Report

Post by Rod_outbak » 10 Feb 2019, 10:42 am

Out on the verandah this morning; Apostle birds (I call them 'Harry & the Lads')over at the fence start acting up.
Lots of staring at the ground at the base of the fence, and the odd indignant screech..
Looking out, I see a line sliding along outside the fence...

While HarryCo keep the intruder under (abusive) watch, Roddy locks & loads the .45acp shotshells into the 1911.

Wandered out to find Fangboy; just coming through into the yard proper.
Definitely bitey; looks to be a Speckled Brown.
Just has my psychotic visitor starts to wonder if I mightnt be 'of concern', I loose 2 shotshells at ~10 feet.
Yup; Nakey is TOAST.
Just over 5ft long.

Threw him out the other side of the yard; where I can watch Harry & Co hurl abuse at the retired nakey, while we have morning smoko...

CCI pest control shotshells are expensive as all get out for single-use shells, but freaking awesome for nailing a Fangboy at close range...

Harry & Co earn their (obnoxious & noisy) keep yet again...
[Interestingly, HarryCo dont budge an inch while I'm shooting the snake; they simply dont believe that gunfire is EVER going to be aimed at them...]
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 594
Queensland

Re: Snake Report

Post by Chappo » 10 Feb 2019, 9:34 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:OK, I had a chew in Aust post, now for another stirling Australian institution, bloody WIRES.

Had a real close one with a 5 foot Eastern Brown and my bare feet this afternoon so I locked up the dog in the house and decided to see from a distace where he was going.
He decided to get a bit of sun so I gave him a quick squirt with the hose to see if he had a bolt hole anywhere and the bugger just seemed to disappear into the ground.
Turns out that theres a small, disused rabbit hole there hidden by a bit of grass.

Wanting to do the right thing, I looked for a localish snake catcher but the google wasn't having it, so I tried wires.
Whoever the halfwit vegan shower of sh!t was that designed the phone menu needs a vigorous rooting with a splintery stick.

After pissing you around with choices, number 6 lets you report an injured critter or such.
The the woman on the recording goes through a whole speil about what to do if you've got an injured raptor, then what to do wth other wildlife, alpha-fvcking-betically, until she gets to " What to do about snakes and monitor lizards" and she gives a PHD thesis presentation on the monitor.

I was so boiling mad by then I hung up.
In the country with most of the top 10 deadliest critters on the planet, even I would imagine the first thing on the list would be the ones that can kill you.

So I ended up putting the hose into the hole and standing by with the 12g, but he must have decided retreat was best when he sensed me move off, or he can reeeally hold his breath.

WIRES, epic fail from day 1.



:lol: :lol: that’s fvkn hilarious!!
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 285
New South Wales

Re: Snake Report

Post by Chappo » 10 Feb 2019, 9:40 pm

Ive seen em go down mouse holes and tried the water trick and they just don’t come out. I reckon they can hold their breath for a looong time or they find air pockets down there and wait it out.

Petrol on the other hand........
I saw one around the house last year and picked up a shovel. The little bugger was quick and I only managed to take an inch off his tail as he slipped down a mouse hole. I filled in some other holes, tipped a shot of high octane down the getaway tunnel then waited shovel poised.
He cam outta there so fast that I only got another inch off his tail!
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 285
New South Wales

Re: Snake Report

Post by Daddybang » 11 Feb 2019, 6:57 am

20190205_152649.jpg
20190205_152649.jpg (1020.14 KiB) Viewed 465 times



A baby night tiger or brown tree snake. Almost harmless but very ready and willing biter. This one was in the process of slipping into a car when we caught and relocated it. :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Major
Major
 
Posts: 2781
Queensland

Re: Snake Report

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Feb 2019, 9:53 am

That's a cute little snake mate, we are very careful to not leave our doors open when out bush cutting wood, they will only too happily jump in for a free ride and I certainly don't want to be in a vehicle with a tiger or brown snake that's for sure :D
User avatar
bigfellascott
General
General
 
Posts: 5974
-

Re: Snake Report

Post by Rod_outbak » 07 Mar 2019, 11:05 am

A couple of nights ago, I am walking back out to the kitchen around 9pm.

As I come past the outside door to the coldroom, I see a tail slithering along against the wall.
Shine a light, and here is little Mr Stimsons Python; breaking AGAIN...
He's only about 15 inches long, but pretty as anything. Fat, too...

After a bit of a photo-shoot, I thought it might be funny to try scaring the frog I feed out on the ledge near the coldroom.
Most times you show even a fake snake to a green frog, they puff themselves up, and scream their little lungs out.
Given Mrs SpottyCroak is getting a lot of free feeds, I feel it's time for me to introduce some exercise into her life...
[And payback for biting me again the night before...sigh]

So, I draped the Stimsons over her bathing mug, and the snake wanders around; trying to figure out how to depart.
When Stimson finds Mrs SpottyCroak wedged behind the mug (her favourite day haunt), he crapped himself!
Meanwhile, SpottyCroak didnt even bother opening her eyes...
I had to drop the rather agitated pyfon into the nearby shrubbery, while the frog snoozed on; dreaming of magical mealworms that appear in front of her every night or so...

I live in a weird house...
Attachments
20190302_210800 (2).JPG
20190302_210800 (2).JPG (322.47 KiB) Viewed 372 times
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 594
Queensland

Re: Snake Report

Post by Rod_outbak » 07 Mar 2019, 11:06 am

Sorry; "Breaking IN again..."
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Sergeant
Sergeant
 
Posts: 594
Queensland

Re: Snake Report

Post by Bazooker » 07 Mar 2019, 12:03 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:The ol lady I was talking about said the snakes back (apparently theres another line through her flour she laid down at the entrance to her shed.


Like I said before Scott,,,,,
Which direction are the trails headed ???

Inward ?
or
Outward ?


From my understanding she put some down when she knew the snake was in the shed and wanted to know if it had left the shed or not and from what she said it had left some time that day and she noticed another mark in the flour which would indicate it headed back into the shed a day or two later. :drinks:


Either that, or a second one went in......with Browns there's always two; keep your eyes peeled for the second one!

B.
It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze........Relax!
User avatar
Bazooker
Private
Private
 
Posts: 65
Victoria

Re: Snake Report

Post by RoginaJack » 07 Mar 2019, 12:21 pm

a length of Conduit pipe is good but I like a light dog chain - follows the grounds contours...
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
User avatar
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2
 
Posts: 1234
Queensland

Re: Snake Report

Post by Chappo » 14 Mar 2019, 7:10 pm

So what’s this little guy?
I startled one a week ago and was a bit confused with the black markings on his head.
I googled it and read that eastern browns can sometimes be born with these markings but then I found another one today with the same markings?
(These are pics of the two different snakes, I live in rural NSW)
Attachments
57109BD6-B71C-459F-9B69-D449E94885D2.jpeg
57109BD6-B71C-459F-9B69-D449E94885D2.jpeg (398.58 KiB) Viewed 319 times
C24C4C74-F278-4BAD-A809-563C1874368F.jpeg
C24C4C74-F278-4BAD-A809-563C1874368F.jpeg (456.15 KiB) Viewed 319 times
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal
 
Posts: 285
New South Wales

PreviousNext

Back to top
 
Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control